Yet another 'Help me spec out a computer for rF2' thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Greg23, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

It’s time for a computer upgrade and I am woefully out of touch.

My primary needs will be to run rF2, rF1, the occasional GPL, Celestia (an astronomy visual program with moderate needs), extra hard drive storage.

The critical driving (n.p.i.) factor is probably rFactor 2. I am using a single 39” T.V. for a monitor so 1080 x 768 is my top resolution. I am in the ‘If you’re complaining about the graphics you aren’t driving fast enough’ camp – but the better the graphics the more enjoyable the experience. I want a solid, dependable, unit that I won’t have to be constantly tweaking or dealing with. I also want to build a motion platform and am looking at one of these:

http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/motionsimulatorkits/stage1motionsimulatorkit.aspx

The computer would have to be able to handle it with rF2.

I’m looking at one of the CyberPowerPC units. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_XT

Under the various options -

1) Case – The Cooler Master Elite 431 looks fine to me. Any reason to go with 240mm over 120mm for what I need?

2) Fans – the 120mm (or 240mm if cooling upgrade) seems fine to me.

3) CPU – i7-5820k More is usually better but is there any reason I’d be sorry if I didn’t bump this to a 5830?

4) MB – I am really out of touch when it comes to MBs. As with CPU more is usually better. What won’t I be sorry with?

5) RAM – Is the suggested adequate for my needs?

6) Video – Looks like a (single) GTX970. Any issues with Maxwell cards?

7) Power – They show 600W. This seems a little low for no issues, maybe not?

8) HD – I’m thinking the 1TB WD caviar blue SATA III is plenty for my needs.

9) HD cooling fan – Not necessary(?)

10) Audio – Should I get a separate sound card? Which one?

11) OS – Windows 7 Pro is available. My understanding is I’d be much happier with that than W8. Especially considering what I’m using the unit for.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I know there are some really knowledgeable guys here.

Thanks,

Greg

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just pick some Points

1) Case – The Cooler Master Elite 431 looks fine to me. Any reason to go with 240mm over 120mm for what I need?
    The larger the fan, the lower the noise

3) CPU – i7-5820k More is usually better but is there any reason I’d be sorry if I didn’t bump this to a 5830?
    i7-5820k sounds good

4) MB – I am really out of touch when it comes to MBs. As with CPU more is usually better. What won’t I be sorry with?
    I would prefer an Asus MB with X99 Chipset

6) Video – Looks like a (single) GTX970. Any issues with Maxwell cards?
    There is an issue with the GTX970, only 3.5 GB are reachable, 512 MB with lower speed. GTX980 would be better.

7) Power – They show 600W. This seems a little low for no issues, maybe not?
    I updated my Racing Rig and have now a 1000 W PS. Depends on wich Hardware you may adding next months/years. 600 W seems a bit to low to me.

8) HD – I’m thinking the 1TB WD caviar blue SATA III is plenty for my needs.
    Go for a SSD for the Operation System and (if within the budget) a second SSD for Programs. A SATA for Data too.

9) HD cooling fan – Not necessary(?)
    Nope

10) Audio – Should I get a separate sound card? Which one?
    Onboard Sound should be enough

11) OS – Windows 7 Pro is available. My understanding is I’d be much happier with that than W8. Especially considering what I’m using the unit for.

I updated my Race Rig from W7 to W8.1. No issues so far...

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

2 SSDs and a Sata

Get Real will ya ...his BUDGET is a BLUE sata lol

Why would a GTX980 be better with a SINGLE SCREEN ............. rubbish :)

3.5GB will not affect rF2 or any game up to ***1920x1080 ( I assume he is not going to go and and buy triples )

I say read this thread get parts here
    CHECK the PARTS read RESULTS..........
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23371-New-system-Advice

*** Your Power Supply is weak sounding, not the Power, they do not quote a MAKE .
    Considering a Cooler Master is dearer it must be a pretty crappy PSU.
    ( they always do that make the next step up another 40 bucks ( rolleyes )

*** You got to throw that 1024 monitor out, all you do is bottleneck gaming tower quality.

Seems too dear when you spec better parts.

------

I run 1920x1080 ... Intel 4690 - Gigabyte H97 - 8GB 1600 + GTX670OC
    I get really good performance from rF2 but need to lower some settings

If I had a GTX970 it would be near perfect for single screen.

If you have the extra dollars get 4790 - Z97 - 16GB like in thread I linked.

Over budget, you need to get the base parts first, save up and get a SSD later, they will only get cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

The only rubbish, are your postings :p

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

1. Why does he need a GTX980 for a single monitor ?

2. How can 3.5GB limit affect rFactor on a single screen ?

3. What games on a single screen, single GPU make more then 3.5GB Vram ?

:)

Intel 4690 - H97 - 8GB 1600 + GTX970 = DD's single screen seal of approval. :p

BTW you never mentioned his resolution , I would love to see 1024x768 push 3.5GB ram ......... lol

( one reason I fob off SSD for him, he needs to buy a new TV on top ............. those systems do not include a monitor )

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2015
  6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The first page I never even heard of the games lol ;)

You saying people running a GTX970 @1920x1080 in rFactor2, or rF or GPL are complaining, where ?

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree with Durge.

A. No reason to go with Haswell-E unless his astronomy program can take advantage of 6/12 cores/threads (or even 8/16 cores/threads if he decides to go all out and get a 5960X).

B. If he's only running 720p or 768p then shouldn't a GTX 970 easily be good enough? Or even a 780 Ti or R9 290X.

C. Also, going high-end (IB-E/H-E) also means more expensive RAM, especially in the case of H-E (DDR4), and more expensive motherboards.

Unless running SLI, wanting quad-channel memory (instead of dual-channel), wanting DDR4 memory (in the case of H-E, instead of DDR3), and/or wanting 6/8 cores / 12/16 threads, then stick with the "mainstream" line, rather than the "E" line.

9. Surrexen

Surrexen Registered

Definitely go with an NVidia graphics card, my other machine runs an AMD card and the simulation runs like a dog on it. No issues with NVidia card though.

10. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

Thank you one and all. Kind of weird watching myself being referred to in the third person - I'M SITTING RIGHT HERE, YOU KNOW! ;)

I've been to both Deutschland and OZ so I'm not going to take sides nationally. I almost swooned when I saw I am looking at MORE than I need. That's never happened to me before (computerwise).

So... I think I'll go with - the i7-5820, one of the ASUS X99 MBs, 8GB of RAM (2400 is what they're offering, so I'll take it), GTX 970 (and keep my fingers crossed), 850W Corsair power supply and W8.1.

A little more expensive than building it myself but a savings of $200 over what I was looking at, $500 over what I was guessing going in and the good feeling of knowing I actually have more than I need.

I doubt that I'll ever go triple screen unless, for some reason, I decide to race online - and then I have bigger issues (bandwidth, lag, etc.). I will be keeping my eyes open for 4k T.V. sales and think about replacing my 1080.

This was well worth the effort - thanks again.

Greg

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I still don't see the logic here, and I do see the almost unnecessary higher-than-needed cost. You're going with the "E" line yet skimping out on quad-channel RAM, and on top of that getting a GPU with a "gimped" amount of PCI-E lanes. What is the point? Unless you really want the 6 cores (12 threads w/ hyperthreading)...

If not ever using SLI / Crossfire, then I guess the 5820k will do, but at least get yourself a proper set of RAM made for your system - quad channel (and minimum 2400 MHz).

If not, then just go 4690k or 4790k, you'll probably even be able to clock them at 4.6 - 4.7 vs the 4.4 or so of the H-E chips.

On the other hand, maybe your going Haswell-E as you may decide to go dual-GPU in the future, if you do so though, you'll then have to grab a 5930k anyways for the proper lane support.

Or maybe your waiting for DDR4 RAM to drop lower in price before going with a proper 4x4GB quad-channel kit.

Hmmmm, difficult to tell what you're trying to do here...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So you have 1080 but you ran old PC at 1024x768 ?

doh

If you want to get 4K you want more Video Card , lots more.

I would listen to Spin X99 with one card just won't give you bang for buck.

13. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

So you're recommending a 4790k with 16GB DDR4 2400 (or DDR3?) if I have no intention of going with multiple GPUs now or in the future?

What do I gain (for what I'm doing) with the extra 8GB RAM? - it's not rhetorical. I don't do this often enough to really know.

The difference in price (NewEgg) between a 4790k & 5820k is $50. Do I lose something by going with a 5820k (other than $50)?

I've built a few computers in the past and there's always 'something' that turns out being a pain in the *ss. A few extra dollars is worth the convenience to me to just have it all done. But then again, if I'm being TOTALLY stupid about it that's another story. CyberPowerPC doesn't show a 'downgrade' to a 4790k. I could probably talk to them and work something out.

If you're saying get 4790k & 16GB 2400 Quad (DDR3 or 4?) vs. 5820k & 16GB 2400 Quad DDR4 - What are the differences performance/utility wise, besides $50.

I need some educatin'. Maybe break it down one more level of explanation.

Thanks.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You running single monitor single GPU

Why pay more.

Do you want to overclock ?

GTX970 single screen there is no need.

4970 is 4.4GHz vs 5820 is 3.6Ghz

For sims personally I rather the clockspeed

15. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Greg I just updated with the help of DD and spin I went with a 4790k @ 4.0 on a msi MB, but went with a 980 because I run triples, MY SYSTEM RUNS GLORIOUS @ 5040x1050res. If you get a 970 with a single screen you will run all games at high to max settings with a min of 60fps. Just keep in mind the 970 has 3.5 gigs a vram not the advertised 4 but like DD says if you don't plan on upping your res you will be just fine and even if you do decide im sure the 970 could run but at lower settings. Hope this helps

My thread below

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23371-New-system-Advice

16. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

O.K. I think that covers the CPU explanation - No overclocking. I want stable, long life, no issues.

As far as video - I do not have rF2 yet. rF1 defaults to 800x600 and I think I read somewhere that is pretty much that. I don't really remember but I think GPL will go 1024x768 (maybe higher). The T.V. screen resolution is 1920x1080 so I guess that's what I'm shooting for. I totally missed that, so I'm sorry for any confusion there. Take 4K out of the mix.

So...I'm looking at single screen 1920x1080 for rF2 as the driving force on this project. It will also need to be able to handle the simxperience motion simulator I will be adding - pretty much this: http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/motionsimulatorkits/stage1motionsimulatorkit.aspx

>>I run 1920x1080 ... Intel 4690 - Gigabyte H97 - 8GB 1600 + GTX670OC
    >>I get really good performance from rF2 but need to lower some settings

>>If I had a GTX970 it would be near perfect for single screen.

>>If you have the extra dollars get 4790 - Z97 - 16GB like in thread I linked.

Which brings me back to what you originally posted ^^^ Hmm. Sounds like the way to go as long as it also handles the motion sim.

>>Equipment Requirements

>>The following items are required to complete the Stage I Motion Cockpit

>>PC - Quad Core or Better With At Least 4gb of RAM
    >>PC Wheel, Pedal and Shifter Set
    >>Standard Racing Seat With Side Mount Brackets (No Sliders)

RAM - DDR3 or DDR4? 2400?

It sucks trying to get up to speed every 5 years or so. I know the basics but I'm just not current.

More educatin' please. I'm getting close.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Look at X99 (5820k and 5930k) motherboard and RAM prices; compare them to Z97 (4790k) motherboard and RAM prices ;) .

Trust me, I just spent the last entire week in "hardcore research mode" since I'm myself in the middle of a system upgrade (CPU, MB, RAM - going from X79 to X99).

I was only recommending the 16GB of ram (and in a specific quad-channel kit) if you went w/ Haswell-E since only it is quad channel. For Haswell / Devil's Canyon on a Z97 board, I would just get a top speed dual-channel 2x4GB kit (top speed being the combination of 2133 MHz & CL9, or 2400MHz & CL10).

For the ultimate performance while keeping the price "in check", get a non-k, 4690 CPU + H97 board + 8GB (2x4GB, dual channel) 1600Mhz @ CL7 RAM.

18. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

O.K. This is all starting to finally sink in. Part of my confusion was the CyberPowerPC line I was looking at. It didn't offer options that matched what you all were telling me. Now that I found the right build line it all fits into place and makes sense. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, I can post how wonderful it all is.

@ Paul_Ceglia -> L.I.? Jamaica -> Westbury -> Stony Brook (before they built the univ.) for me.

19. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

I posted yesterday but it never displayed.

I think this has all sunk in now. I was confusing myself by looking at the wrong line of computers. I was trying to reconcile what I was looking at with what you guys were telling me. Once I found the right line of computers everything you guys were telling me fell into place. Basically, there's not much argument with what it takes to run rF2, 1 screen, @1920x1080 (rF1 defaults to 800x600 and I think I read somewhere that's pretty much that. I think I run GPL in 1024x768, don't remember if it goes higher) so that should cover all my other needs. I think I'm all set. Thanks for getting me straightened out on this.

@ Paul_Ceglia - L.I.? Jamaica -> Westbury -> Stony Brook (before they built the univ.) for me.

Hopefully my next post will be in a couple of weeks about how wonderful everything works.

Would have posted sooner but I was at ComicCon and went to see Bootsie Collins last night. :)

20. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I am in East Setauket, right around the corner from SB.