GPU driver restart

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by karelkryl, Feb 8, 2015.

1. karelkryl

karelkryl Registered

Hi all, please help us. Our league is going to start season on rf2, but few members come across this problem. Basicly its like you drive on track, then sudenly black screen (game plays in backgroud), after while games continue. To me its clasic gpu driver restart. It happend to me on my old gtx460, so I bought new PC as I thought it shoud be becase this card is weak/ maybe because it gets to hot (even tho there wasnt problem in any other game), but then I get to know that other members got this problem to (most probably they are all NV users). Even one with gtx970. Big gamebreaker if you ask me but I dont see anybody in this forum or some kind of solution. We king off exclude temperature, as me and other guy monitor that and it was ok + it doesnt happen in other "games". THX for any kind of help, sory for my english..

2. Symbian

Symbian Registered

Same here. I drove whole last year with those issues and didnt find a solution yet. Im running rF2 capable PC with new GTX 660 and still have blackscreen issues during drives, totally random. Its usualy few seconds, sometimes with pop up message about graphics drivers crash (also random message). Ive no problems with other games. Team mate has exactly same PC configuration and he had no problems all season long.

Im running Win7 64-bit. I tried W8.1 once, just with drivers and game installed - resulted in 10-12sec blackscreen during official race. So its happening independently on operating system. It happend on all type of tracks (more or less performance demanding), and also only with me on track, or in full grid competition - so probably its not just "not enough performance" problem.

Im really desperate about it, already. Basic specs: GTX 660 (2GB), 8GB RAM, i5-4330. Thx for any ideas.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm fairly certain this is a system or GPU-specific issue. I have only ever experienced these issues when I have an unstable GPU - mostly due to overclocking. Lower the core clock and memory clock speed of your GPU while raising the fan-speed. Try a constant fan-speed of 100% for testing purposes (it'll be loud). Also, try fully removing and reinstalling GPU drivers. I have a link in my sig for a very thorough GPU-driver cleaning/uninstalling and reinstalling solution.

4. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

I have this problem exclusively with rFactor2 for over a year now, it is indeed the gpu-driver restarting (screen goes black for a couple of seconds and everything freezes and than continues after that).
    It costed me a league race many nerves and quite some money for new hardware trying to rule it out somehow.

GPU's: Happened with GTX 760 as well as now with a GTX 970. I can run a stresstest with Furmark or 3d-Mark or any other benchmark, or any other game forvever with no probs, temps never above ~70°
    Mainboards: Switched it out with no effect
    Ram: Tested with memtest for a very long time several times
    HDD: Tested with HD-Tune several times with no probs
    CPU: Tested with and without OC and it can run Prime95 forever with no probs, temps never above ~60°
    PSU: Used 2 different ones with no effect

I went through many builds, many different drivers, several reinstalls and a few reinstalled OS'es (I'm using Win7 64bit).
    The only thing which ever had an effect on this was my settings like texture detail or track details; the lower I did set them the less the driver crashes happened.

For some reason in the last couple of months I did not really had this happen anymore, except for one time in the garage (lol).
    What you could try is the last thing of the countless of things I tried over all this time was setting the energymode in the Nvidia-panel to "prefer maximum performance", in case it could be a problem with the card throttling back during gameplay.

I tried to clock the GPU's lower then their factory overclock and all that with no effect. But since I can run all kinds of stuff that stress the gpu's much more then rf2 with no probs forever, it has to be something with the Nvidia drivers in combination with RF2 causing it.

5. canastos

canastos Registered

Going simple, have you tried turning HDR off? (just in case)

byyyyyyyyyye

6. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Are you all on nvidia GPU's?

7. karelkryl

karelkryl Registered

I think all from our league were on Nvdias, friend tried with HDR off and it doesnt help. But he gets it on track with fake lighting more i think. I got gtx 960 and no problem now, i had 460 and it happend to me once in melbourne practice. But friend have it almost everytime.

Have to say we run newest FISI

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My only experiences with TDRs was back on rF1 and it ended up being a bad PSU. I've been through several machine configurations since then and never had a TDR since.

Check the event viewer to be sure it's really TDRs and not something else though.

9. Symbian

Symbian Registered

Well, today it happend 3times even with rFactor 1. Never had problems with this older game with my older PCs. I read on some forum to try check event viewer in control panel, and I found this: "Display driver Nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

I followed this error mesage to this topics"
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-Nvlddmkm-Error/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...es-video-drivers-gtx-260-sli-windows-7-x64/3/

Do you have the same kind of error message guys? We should try these solutions. Some people reported that it worked, some not. Its gonna be about luck again, it seems....:/

10. Symbian

Symbian Registered

Well, today it happend 3times even with rFactor 1. Never had problems with this older game with my older PCs. I read somewhere to try checks event monitor feature in control panel, and I found this: "Display driver Nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered"

I followed this error mesage to this topics"
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-Nvlddmkm-Error/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...es-video-drivers-gtx-260-sli-windows-7-x64/3/

Do you have the same kind of error message guys? We should try these solutions. Some people reported that it worked, some not. Its gonna be about luck again, it seems....:/

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

My only experience with driver crashing was a bad driver, that was when Windows 7 first came out. Next driver cured it. If you had it working, use a driver that works.

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I had this frequently with my old gtx275. Never seen this with my GTX 670 (rest of the system is still the same).