Respecting the IP of Others.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Birddogg66, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

While we all love what the modding community does for us and the majority of it done in a respectful manner we do have a percentage of RIP materials stolen from others. The lack of respect for others IP tarnishes the image of the modding community as a whole and has no place in our genre! Converting material should only be done with the permission of the content owner. People who do not follow these ethics need to be called out and black balled from the communities as these practices hurt the industry as a whole.

I have recently noticed a few car models blatantly stolen from Project CARS and converted to rF2. This is the IP of SMS and every WMD member that helped fund the project. The community voted down modding and converting of game materials so there is in no way any permissions given in these regards.

Also along with the people stealing and converting these materials people posting links to this material are just as guilty as they facilitate the unlawful distribution of this material.

This has happened recently with a FB page owner(Sim Racing for Life) posting links to this content and then WMD members pointing out that the models in question were stolen and the page owner continuing to disregard requests to remove the materials from his page has no place in the sim racing community!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2015
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Loved this bit of humour in the morning. :)

Anyway, you're calling for respect but accusing a league of participating in using material that is ripped without any proof. Sounds to me like you're just peddling gossip, to be honest.

3. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

Tons of proof Cars with SMS specific Logos on them IT'S SO BLATANT IT'S STUPID!!!!!! The SMS developers NAMES ON THE CARS.

Edit: Now that I have had a reply from the FB page owner in question I can't expect him to know every piece of content that has been unlawfully converted. I only asked that he not facilitate the distribution of it which was met with a block and comments erased as this may not have been him since he is not the only page admin.

Let's keep the modding community clean so talented people can continue to do it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
  4. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Well then, good job on posting the links on official ISI forums :D

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Nothing can really be done about it. If they post here, ISI could delete their post and ban them, but they don't post here. Just don't use the stuff.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Well I know hundreds of rF2 cars/tracks that are illegal conversions. Check racedepartment cars/tracks section, about half of rF2 F1 tracks there are converted (illegally), mostly from Codemasters. This is really no news to anyone that it happens, you live in a dream world if you think this type of modding could be stopped completely.

7. Jamie Shorting

. Like already mentioned, this has nothing to do with ISI and shouldnt' even be posted here. ISI will remove any links that aren't to legit content. If you have a problem with ripped content, complain at Race Department, who endorses ripped content.

BTW Birddogg, 99% of the people who use this forum will agree with you that converting someone else's work without permission is wrong. I believe you have come to the wrong place to preach. Just my opinion though. :)

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Lol :D

9. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

This sh1t storm has to happen whilst I have no internet connection at home due to blundering idiots cutting through a cable at home.
    All links to pcars material have been removed from my fb page.
    I run a community page where I and others centralise anything we find on the WWW into one place. Its a small page with few members and a nice little community exclusive to rf2 fans. I will continue sharing mods and tracks I find and always respect modders wishes to share or not. Same goes for anyone who requests the removal of links.
    Ripping will never go away and as long as software is available to assist in ripping it won't go away.
    Nobody is forced to like the page or download anything from it. When I get requests to remove links I respect those wishes so there is no need to try and blackball ( I don't even know what that means ) a little fan page doing no harm to anyone.

10. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Never seen any evidence of this on that facebook page. I' ve seen mods previously removed from there at owners request though so your claim about the site owner disregarding requests to remove mods is a load of rubbish in my view.
    Perhaps this could have all been resolved sooner and amicably if you had contacted the site owner yourself rather than wading in and bad mouthing him on various websites.
    Just saying'.

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Problem is resolved hopefully Davy :)
    I have 1 or 2 guys who look after the page along with myself, but as I say the timing of this sh1tstorm couldn't have been worse. I'm trying to sort the whole thing out on a sporadic 3g connection on my mobile phone.
    The bad mouthing I can't do anything about until Monday at the earliest. Its been hard enough just picking up messages and getting on this forum.

12. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

Well it's bad when members of the community point out that you are posting content that has been illegally converted and while not pointing the finger at you directly for the material in question only asked that you not facilitate the distribution of it which was met with a block and comment erased while the materials in question remained. That's like saying FU. If you really want to help you may pass on to SMS the uploaders information. People like that will destroy the modding industry and put developers who allow customizations at risk.

Beyond that have a good day if this has all been a misunderstanding over your lack of knowledge of where the material came from. I am sorry

13. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

So if not here where?: Everybody says this is not the place until there is no place to voice these concerns. Community awareness belongs in Community Forums.;)

14. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

It doesn't justify it! Maybe you should call them out over it. Anyway no I don't think it can be eliminated but I do think it can be driven underground. I use to just DL mods with no regard of how they came to be because I wanted the material. I can't say that I haven't mistakenly DL'ed Ripped materials lately. There are proper channels and ethics that should be followed.:)

15. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

If you look at some of my replies you will see that I did bring to attention models that are in no question stolen from PCARS. I can't expect the page owner to have known this before pointing them out but this was met with a block and the comments erased and the ripped material remained thus is how we got to where we are now

16. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I can certainly divulge my sources for all this content I find ;-)
    A little corner of the web called Google. Maybe if the community gets together we can get this terrible place closed down ;-)

17. Jamie Shorting

I think this is this guys full time job, scouring the internet for converted pCars material. I now recognize his name from another site. :p

18. yusupov

yusupov Registered

afaik ISI cannot do anything about other people ripping content (+ sharing it). i mean they could send a message saying they disapprove but they have no legal recourse, it would be a waste of time + energy. when you bring attention to it on forums here that just have legitimate content (ie where ISI can delete links/ban users) you run the risk of giving what you consider 'the bad guys' wanted attention as well as unwanted.

imo if you see something linked here & want to complain about it that makes sense but going out of yr way to post to ripped content, all youre really achieving is providing ppl who didnt know of it before a DL link (+ probably violating forum rules).

19. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

Hardly! I found this FB page because someone else mentioned the illegal converts on that page. However if you condone the act of people stealing other peoples work you may want to check yourself. I have however in the past went after other people ripping material out there.

20. Birddogg66

Birddogg66 Registered

They can generate a tone that they are not okay with their materials being stolen and stand against the materials of others being stolen as well.

It's a community forum the materials in question were converted to rF2 and it's safe for me to assume that I am addressing users of rF2 here in this forum. If you don't expose those who are either stealing IP or facilitating the distribution of it how will anything get done? If in the process these links to the material in question are exposed the people who from that point decide to download it need to take a good look at themselves and wonder if they become part of the problem. As long as there are drug addicts there will always be dope dealers!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015