[REL] Tire size (node in .tgm) calculator with visual.

Discussion in 'Other' started by Navigator, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

As you may know -when you have played around with it off course- are the sizes of tire's (and rims) in the "node's" in the .tgm files.
    Adjusting those to make a tire somewhat wider, is a lot of work. Also; you have no visual with that, which makes it harder.

ISI made some nice files for us (in devcorner) but they are never the size you need ;)
    Now you can take one there and use it with altered dimensions for the size.

How does it work?
    In the left-upper corner, within the marked lines, you fill in the first 24 nodes; the x- and y-axis, the rest fills in automatically.
    On the right, you fill in the yellow fields; the current tire of which you just filled in the values and say there (for example) 295/30/20.
    Use complete values; there is a suggested width of the rim you use (and just filled in) but it might say: 11,12 inch. You fill in: 11 (inch)

Now, in the lower yellow boxes on the right; you fill in what tire size you want. Lets say: 335/35/21 and width 12.
    The new values are presented to you as x- and y-axis values in the right x- and y-axis pillars.
    You can take these over in your tgm file.

You can also play around with the desired values. For instance; the tire gets 4 cm wider, but the rim size is in inch; do you go 1 or 2 inch wider? None of those fits perfectly; you can put in the (proper) box 11 and see how the tire is going to look. Or 13 and see........ You have a visual now.

Some remarks;
    To get the best calculations, take an example tire which comes closest to the desired; for 175/70/14 to 335/20/22 is not the way to go.
    This only works proper if you fill in the x- and y-axis values AND the tire measurements in the yellow fields.
    Off course the yellow fields under "calculator" are optional.

Some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And not to forget, the download :)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13313246/Tire size calc_final.xlsx

Hope you like it, have fun!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

Great ! Thanks !

3. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

tysir

4. Dave Waters

Dave Waters Registered

Brilliant, thanks!

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

6. Quartza

Quartza Registered

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Yes. Some things get lost in translation; a question like this not.
    Spend another evening updating, and for what?
    So, yes, done.

8. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

man im sorry you feel this way..but only one guy sad something you didnt want to hear,get used to it man people are wierd sometimes.
    ignore it im sure your tool will help alot people here and they will be thankfull for what you done and how much time you spend working on it

have a nice day man,and thx for your work
    kristijan

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Please put the link again, let idiots talk, and don't mind with these guys. If I had stopped modding each time a guy had bad words ... So it's your pleasure, not their pleasure, so continue your passion please.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Navigator, I read that post very soon after it was written (having already had an interest in the thread) and I'm still not sure what it meant. Given that you were asking about some strange tyre temperature values, and that you were presumably using tyres you had modified using this tool, I guess it makes sense there would be a question about whether your tyres, and therefore your tool, were the root of the problem. But I'm still not sure that's what was meant.

Perhaps more importantly than the underlying reason itself, is that as an English-only-speaker I still don't fully understand the exchange of posts in that thread, so I find it very likely two non native English speaking people have misunderstood each other. I found myself just assuming you two had history, because I couldn't see what had 'gone wrong' in that thread.

If that thread, and that post itself, is the only factor in your decision... I think you're doing yourself and the community a disservice.

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes, not good to read this, i just digged out a script that i have made some time ago and polished it up a little bit, because i thought, with your tool and my script, if you would add a little export option or just the possibility to copy the new values and i would modify my script too, we could give the people the possibility to upload the tgm file that they want to change, with my script, + upload the new values that have been created by your script and can download the tgm file with the changed values.
    So all could be done by some mouseclicks.
    Maybe you will change your mind.
    My script (it's currently just a tireshape-viewer) is included in the GearGenerator (Link in Signature), if you want to have a look at it.

12. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Are you serious?!!

13. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

I'm going to be an dickhead right now: it's sad that such a awesome looking tool has to disappear because of one guy, but to be honest, we don't need it. Look at the 3rd party cars section. There are plenty of great cars that are created without this tool.
    If Navigator truly wanted to remove the link without anything else, he would've deleted the whole post. Now he's just whining about that one guy, making him (and us) feel bad. In my opinion that's not the way to go.
    And maybe he was considering putting the link back and thanks to me he won't, well, so be it. Tomorrow a new modder will rise and create his own tool that we can use. Let us be glad that 99 % of all inventors/creators in history didn't destroy their creation because 1 guy had something to say about it, or we would still wipe our asses with leaves from the trees.
    (Please tell me if this post is inappropriate and I'll change it.)

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You are pretty much spot on, I didn't really wanna reply to this thread even though I saw it a few days ago and found it interesting - but now it just feels like OP is trying to make us all beg for the link, very immature reaction TBH... And prob. due to a major over reaction over something lost in translation - life goes on.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well, I'm sorry if it comes across that way.
    I'm very good in "overreacting" and was pissed that the "expansion" I intended to do, didn't work; I felt I worked my ass off and......for nothing. That was my thought at the moment.
    It was not my intention to start whining here, make guys feel bad or make guys beg; why should I.

The reason I didn't delete the whole post is that I can't; I could only empty it and that is weird. I also know myself, and know that "later on, when I thought about it", I would come to my senses and put it back on.

So, I was just fed up with the whole situation and the things you say; weren't my intention at all.

I was still working on it meanwhile and thought I'd put it back up when the newer things in it were working. That is going to take a while however.
    That "newer stuff" is basicly; you just fill in a tire size and it draws the picture and gives you the 49 nodes, x and y.
    With small buttons to the side, you can manually change the shape of the tire at any point; x and y and the values to put in the nodes, change with it.
    Also a second colum can be filled in to see the shape of "a tire of your choice" so you can compare.

To show you that it's not about "looking for a beg" or "hail and praise", I won't wait for your response and put it back up now. Otherwise you might think I was hoping for some good words ;)

I hope I explained myself; the things "that guy" said, were really at the worst time possible and kicked in pretty hard........I let it get to me more than it should for which I apologize.
    But hey, we all have our good and bad moments, right?

16. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

This one really is a great tool, Navigator. Keep up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I respect your honesty, Navigator, hope we can now focus on the topic which was intended, I've not yet been able to take a closer look, but think you made a good decision - have a nice day :)

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Have anyone ever recalculated a tyre using the ttool ? Cause changing these nodes does nothing unless the tyre is being "rendered" again - which takes HOURS.

19. Sk1dmarks

Sk1dmarks Registered

Navigator, I understand why you did what you did considered the circumstances (programming can get very frustrating), and you've proven that you're a truly nice guy. :) I'm glad that you've put back the link because honestly I was pretty excited to use it. Not yet, but when my very own model is finished. :)
    So I hope I can answer WiZPER's question with "yes" someday.

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I only tested the ttool briefly myself a lot of builds ago and I never really figured out if it was still rendering or was crashed - could be more informative during the process I think.