Stop kidding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saabjock, Jan 28, 2015.

1. coops

coops Banned

here is an idea only lock servers when you are racing competitively, more range of mods and tracks and more servers for every1 = wider choice
    as for having to dwn load stuff get mod is perfect for this, dont have to travel the net to find it like most other sims.

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I love how people feel the need to 'bitch' at others for simply stating difficulties.
    Nobody is saying you shouldn't download content to race...the question is how much should you have to download to run a simple race.
    If I'm trying to run a single race with one car and venue; Why the hell do I need to download five track and ten cars?
    It's completely asinine.
    The attitude here as of late, is "It doesn't affect me, so quit your bitching."
    It no wonder we are so splintered.
    Guys like Noel Hibbard and Rich Goodwin always seem to look at all sides of an issue and try to at least offer a solution.
    Their positive reinforcement...along with a few others, is all that brings me back to this site now.
    Lately, anybody expressing a concern here seems to be labelled as 'whining'. It's irritating.
    If everything is working great for you...(that's fine)... get out there on track and have fun.
    Know this...if I have issues...not related to some piece of hardware, I will point it out in an attempt to get it resolved.
    I hope we understand each other.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  3. Robcart944

Robcart944 Registered

Going by what you wrote in the second half you must not have read the second page!

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I used to run a league named SRRS and we did just that. On off days the password was removed and we sometimes got new members that way. A few times we had content combinations that were very popular and it was attracting too many wreckers for our members to get clean practice laps in so I would have to lock it for the week.

The league I am involved with right now is running a private kid that the admin doesn't want in the wild so opening it up during the week isn't an option. But there are a bunch of leagues that are open on off nights. The ones that aren't open generally have custom content that they spent a lot of time on and don't want to share. On of the perks of joining a league is gaining access to content you may not fine in the public.

I agree though, if you don't have custom content that you have lots of time invested in then open them up. :)

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Noel, thanks for clarifying that. I never knew that was already built into V1 of the proto-dedi server. I'm referring to the way it automatically sends you back to GetMod (when/if the server switches to a track you don't have), and then automatically throws you back in the room/session once that circuit's download is complete, rather than just kicking you out and sending you back to the main RF2 MP lobby where you would then have to manually find and select the server, attempt to join, download the track, etc.

The proto-dedi clearly has a ton of potential, this is great considering it's only v1 (even if it is broken with the current build). ISI clearly has the right idea and vision :)

6. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I fully understand how the original poster feels. Most times I come from work and want to just jump in a race, do some 30 mins racing and stop due to other things in life I have to do.... Unfortunately, rF2 is not a jump and race simulation (which could be in theory!!!) which is a pity as it could be so much fun!

So, I'm trying to come up with a a concept where people can go online, search for a race, register to it and join (when ISI gives us the join functionality) and then hopefully this could bring all those people together who just want quick racing with a particular combo. Kind iRacing.....

Here's the concept coming along: http://live.racingtimes.net/RacingServers.aspx Most servers are offline so you wont see good data. Also, I still need to develop the driver profile page and lots of other stuff.

Unfortunately, I am so busy with work and I did not touch this project for over a month now. But hopefully I'll get some more time soon. Though there is a catch to this concept! All the servers to be included in this project need to install my plugin which is not biggy as they will benefit from the live timing web app, session results, league management etc. (on same live.racingtimes.net)

Hopefully, it might work....let see.

Cheers

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The tool I was working on was capable of downloading the vmod and using GetMod to download anything that is missing. If you built that sort of functionality into your tool then you could schedule for a race and then have the tool prepare your rF2 installation for the race ahead of time. So then you just show up and race. But you would need some client side software installed. I looked at how iRacing interacts with the PC and then wrote my own version of it for rF. Basically it's a webserver that runs on the client PC and only listens on 127.0.0.1. Then the iRacing website uses JavaScript to query this webserver for an inventory of content and versions. So for rF2 I wrote something similar where a website could instruct your PC to install a specific component. The user could simply click an install button from the website and it installs without the user even doing anything. So.... You could do something like that with your service and it could preinstall everything for you.

8. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yeah, it has to be something like that. I did not experiment yet with the info you gave me last time tbh due to lack of time, but in a nut shell, it has to be some service or program running on the client pc. If this project of mine picks up and becomes useful to these lovely rF2 souls, then I will think of doing this, that is checking/downloading/installing the missing mods......or maybe we can partner up (if you wish) and you do this bit as I don't want to re-write the code you did! :p

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I suck at web dev so yeah we could collaborate if your down with that.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yes, because if someone doesn't understand something, or don't like tech stuff, has a language barrier, doesn't want to go through a lengthy 'investigation' or simply assumes ISI has things covered in its software and no need to find external tools for essential stuff that is buried God knows where amongst the other million tools...they are surely just lazy.

Not to mention peeps whom are just starting and are forming bad habits because who knows.
    Not to mention the way server creation is setup that makes people assume they are doing it right (how many of them are even aware multiple tracks is not good? or that selecting content in vmod making it a 400mb file is not good? there's quite a few peeps not endlessly browsing forums you know)

ISI likes options so people now have a million ways to do it wrong, not to mention the many errors they get for whatever reason and then the bugs that popup every build.

Not everyone is a tech guru like yourself Noel whom actually likes investigating these things, understanding them, and then making it even better.

So yeah, people are just lazy because if they rent a server or start a host surely they do not care if people actually join in or not, all they want is a server online, preferably locked as well.

No offense please but I think people are generalizing way too much here.

11. jjcook

jjcook Registered

i feel the same way sometimes- but dont give up so easy as you maybe?- to solve your problem, i found a server pretty much has people on it - 6 or 7 every night in your time zone- the downloads for the content are really quick and will do you for a few days at a time - try 'cactus racing' - go get the content now and report back if it worked- look for it at around 9pm your time - maybe 8pm - the owners are around here i think - but it works great for me - im on the east coast - canada- just north of you- see you this week maybe ? stop kidding around and just do it-

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

If you read the post I quoted he said that admins lump them all in one vmod because it is too difficult to make a bunch of individual vmods. I was simply pointing out that the process isn't that difficult. I didn't use any 3rd party tools either. If you can make one vmod then you know enough to spit out several vmods back to back in minimal time. My point was, I don't think they lump them in one vmod because it's too much work to make individual vmods. I think they just don't give a damn. Some of these servers running 10 tracks have been hosting servers for years now. Surely they would have a decent knowledge of what works by now yet they still host this way. Look at DD for example. He does the 1.0 mods with the same name for years and he is well aware that the system wasn't really intended to be used that way.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That fact that people actually race on Dave's server is a good indication that it's setup properly. Most of the servers that stay busy are typically the ones that are hosted properly. There needs to be a way to make the good servers stand out in the MM.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fair enough Noel.