Is it possible to run multiple instances of dedicated server ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abdielja, Jan 27, 2015.

1. abdielja

abdielja Registered

I'm using version 910. I'd like to run multiple instances of dedicated server. I looked at multiplayer.JSON and saw the ports 64297 and 54297 assigned to HTTP and Simulation respectively. I suppose, I have to assign different ports for other instances.

Is this possible ? if so, how ?

Thanks in advance.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3. abdielja

abdielja Registered

That thread is from 2011. I'm afraid it ain't that easy anymore.
    Believe me I already did my research on google.

Thanks anyways.

4. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Yes...but ur machine hafta be able to take it. Max ram and dual proc and assign affinity say 2 cores for 1 dedicated server instance. IMHO

5. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

1- Make diferent installs with diferent folder names (ex. rfactor2one, rfactor2two). You should have both installs with that name in program files as in documents.
    2- Open multiplayer.json (each) and make sure ""Simulation Port":XXXXX," is diferent in both (or more as you like)
    3- Just to be certain check DATA.PATH (in core folder) to see if path is correct.

Thats it.

EDIT- Our rented server is:
    AMD Athlon™ II X4
    (Quad-Core, 4x 2.3 GHz)
    8 GB DDR3 ECC
    2x 1,000 GB SATA
    (5,400 rpm, 8MB)
    Windows Web Server

We have allways around 3/4 rf2 servers plus 3/4 rf1 ones. We dont have public races wich means that packed server is only one each night. We usually have +20 racing in one and +10/+15 training in another to next day race. Not only one problem till now.

EDIT 2: Dont forget to add exceptions in firewall to all the dedicated.exe´s you need.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
  6. abdielja

abdielja Registered

Thanks Valter. Your reply is very helpful, clear and concise.

I really appreciate it.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Or a more simplistic approach is a single install with multiple player profiles and use +profile on the command line. Management is a little easier this way as you only have one install to upgrade and manage content on.

To make another player profile you just make a copy of the "player" folder which is located in the UserData folder and name it "Server1" for example. Then go into this folder and rename player.json to "Server1.json". Now duplicate this process again only this time name the folder "Server2" and name the player.json, Server2.json. Then open the Multiplayer.json for both profiles to make the ports unique like Valter pointed out. Now create two desktop shortcuts like this.

For server 1:
    Code:
    Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +profile="Server1"
    Start In: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\
    For server 2:
    Code:
    Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Bin64\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" +profile="Server2"
    Start In: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\
    The start in/working folder is very important on the shortcut. If you don't set that correctly it will complain that you don't have any mods installed.

Once you have the servers configured the way you want them you can add +oneclick to the command line to make them launch without asking questions.

sniper likes this.
  8. abdielja

abdielja Registered

Thanks a lot Noel. I will try that. I think with all this information from you and Valter, I'l get it running.

Thanks to all for your time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015