Sudden Loss of Performance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by rob1178, Jan 24, 2015.

1. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Hi

I have experienced a random and overnight collapse of rf2 performance.

ive had silky smooth 60fps forever, and today its fallen to 15 tops at all tracks with all cars.

i havent changed anything on my PC. i've disabled the virus software, turned off everything i can think of that may affect it but no luck

i have installed a fresh copy, with minimal packages loaded and still no fix. CPU and RAM use are normal and not overloading.

i have no plugins installed.

I have AC installed and this still runs OK, its been installed since before xmas and no issues prior

i have also tried lowering the textures etc but it remains at the same FPS, so it isnt this causing a problem.

im totally stumped.

any ideas?

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Did you update your gfx card drivers? I did this past night with my nVidia and I'm on a server now, I get good FPS but still feels microstuttery :\.

3. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

no i left them alone, it usually messes things up so i have not done the last 2 or 3. the stuff they update isnt for my card anyway

4. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

so, another clean install, new player file etc, totally clean. widescreen menu doesn't happen for a kick off, then still at 15FPS.

i dont get it at all. build 910 was fine last week, then its totally broken for me even though my PC is exactly how it was yesterday!!

EDIT:

its not just on track, the whole UI is unresponsive, delayed if you will. seems like the whole programme is running slow for some reason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Hi,

1/ your core I3 540 have the IntelHD Graphics which is an internal video card, inside the core (in case you don't know that). Are you sure the game didn't switch for some reason on that video card? If it's active (Device Manager) try to turn in off.

2/ Do you have any kind of VSync enabled (in rF2 setup, forced through NVidia CP or Inspector)?

3/ If you have NV Inspector, try to check if you have an rF2 profile and reset it. Same in Nvidia Control Panel, check if all is by default for rF2.

4/ If any point above work: just wait. Somebody more smart (and a lot of person are smarter) will continue to suggest stuffs.

Good luck.

Edit: the fact UI is also slow is a positive sign. That mean something global happen, easier to track, and not engine relative.

6. matf1

matf1 Registered

Run it in windowed mode and have task manager running. See if something else has high usage or if rF2 is maxing anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

i've looked at that, theres nothing else on, and the CPU/GPU usage is well within where it normally is.

it seems to be running the GTX660 card, as thats what it is referencing in the Video settings. other apps all run ok and use the 660 as well.

thanks for the advice, one of these suggestions will surely work eventually!

8. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

oh and it hates running in windowed mode, it usually ignores what i tell it and runs full screen anyway

9. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Any new mod/track or plug in installed since it last ran as it should ?

10. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

no, and ive even tried 2 clean installs.

the only new things are AC mods, but they are on a different drive, different game and really cant see how that would impact anything in rf2?

EDIT

fanaleds has been being a little weird lately, but i have disabled it and uninstalled the files, still no difference

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If it's all stuttery in just the RF2 menu then something seems to be up with your PC, not RF2.

Make sure Windows is using the high performance power plan (in control panel).

Reset all GPU settings in NVCP and NVI.

Go right into your BIOS and fully disable your on-chip GPU from there.

Make sure you don't have some sort of framerate limiter enabled (NVCP, NVI, EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, RF2 player file, DXTory, etc.).

12. Major_Parts

Major_Parts Registered

15 fps? you're lucky! More often than not, although I run devmode exclusively, I get 0.2 fps... that equates to 1 frame every 5 seconds! I can tell when it's going to happen, as the different layers of the car in the little window get applied very slowly...meaning I see the skin, then a second later, the spec, then the reflections etc. the road textures don't get drawn either.

Maybe windows has done an auto update of something and that has affected yours? I have to go into task manager and end a lot of processes like the search indexer stuff...anything not needed basically. Still doesn't always work for me though and I might have to try quitting out and starting again.

13. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

If it is my pc, why does ac run as smooth as ever? Wouldn't other games / apps be affected as well?

14. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

It would be extremely disappointing if I have to shut down half of windows every time I want to race!

15. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

when running rf2, it never appears as an application in the task manager. is this normal?

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not normal at all.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Since the recent update it became an application with the launcher, and it remains running in the background when you're done

18. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Any ideas why it wouldn't appear?

Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the gpu drivers, running it in barebones resolutions, always 15-20fps.

If it was system wide then other games would suffer the same? It's only rf2 so would it be my pc causing an issue or the software for rf2?

19. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

20. whiplash

whiplash Registered

Check your actual GPU and CPU speeds when running rF2, do they switch to performance mode?