What is up with the optimization of this software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbishop1488, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Does anyone know what is this for by the way? (PLR)

"Steady Framerate Thresh":0.001,
    "Steady Framerate Thresh#":"Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.",

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People tell me I have imagination...... that you can't window rF2 without dropping fps, or stutterring ,....or some BS !

Well &#$%#@* me

Hello !

wtf is that then ???

Look at the fps ?

and it is as smooth as a babys bum !

Know it alls :rolleyes:

UNDERSTAND THAT !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Watching utube and waiting for joiners

People would not have a clue how to make rF2 "useable"

I feel almost sorry for ya.

[​IMG]

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Relax DD, wizards don`t have input lag or tearing it only happen to ordinary people.

"If you have a 120fps and a refresh rate of 60hz, it simply can't display all 120fps. It either drops 60 frames, or combines 1 and half frames and displays it as one frame. Both will result in screen tearing which is pretty annoying. Double buffering adds 1 frame of lag, Triple Buffering adds 2 frames. Try both, can help with lag.

Least input lag = Fullscreen. Windowed/Borderless + Vsync = Most input lag."

5. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The multiview settings needs to much CPU and GPU power. Using a 3770k and a 7970, the fps drop is massiv. Using a high number of AI on the nords reduces the fps down to 25-30 caused by the cpu limit, the GPU load goes down to 75%. Sometime i have to recognize slow downs.
    Not using the multiview settings improves the fps rate mostly to 50 or above.
    But even with a lower number of AI, the GPU load decreases the fps rate massiv by using multi view. AC works much better with the triple screen setting.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

I dont think I understand what multiview is. I was under the impression that it was for having multiple screens. Maybe I'm wrong. I have it clicked on because I have triples. Is it not necessary?

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It's easy to make a claim with some pictures without any information how to make this to happen. There is no need to feel sorry for us, if you feel that community don`t have clue how to make rF2 useable why don`t you just make thread how to setup rF2.:confused:

8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

FYI, you can also minimize rF2 in fullscreen. Duh.

I have an iPhone 6 which will capture video at 240fps. I guess it's time to bust out the video proof again. Man this topic never dies.

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Ahah, amazing. I did the same test few days ago, shooting @ 240fps, while running rF2 at floating 100/170fps inside 60Hz. It's incredible the mess you spot with tearing, and huge frame truncation on fast corners. Did the same with locked gameplay at 60fps and each single frame was clean like a screenshot. I see sometimes, even with maxframerate, I drop or earn 1 frame per second and suddenly you see a big tear appearing on that scan.

10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

hmm, was not thinking about that Noel, I thought more to how to run 60hz with 90 fps without no tearing and also how to run rF2 windowed mode with same input lag as fullscreen like DD claims, to my knowledge is this not possible with ordinary screen only G-Sync monitors can run 60hz and high fps without tearing, stutters etc.

11. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Depends how your Windows is running.

If you are running in Aero mode the OS will buffer the game output to his own windows manager (compositing windows manager), and will be synchronized with your monitor refresh rate. This means even if you see 300fps on your rF2 window the OS it's "rendering" (wrong term) 60fps and you don't get any tearing for obvious reasons.

At the opposite, if you turn off the Aero, the framerate you see in the rF2 window it's the real one...and you'll get tearing when not matching the monitor refresh rate.

AFAIK the aero is doing double buffering.

12. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I have a question for you graphics gurus', Is running a monitor @ 120hz and locking FPS to 60 have any detrimental affects to the visuals?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I haven't tested input lag in windowed mode before. Iv'e never seen a real need for windowed mode because I've never really had problems minimizing rF1/2 in fullscreen. My understanding is windowed mode can vary depending on OS and settings. For example Aero would force VSync which causes input lag. But Win8 for example doesn't have an aero option anymore so it may not force VSync on you anymore. I've never really messed with it. I personally don't care about tearing. Max Framerate supports decimals and if you play around a little you can minimize tearing a lot. For example you may have better luck with 59.5. I have always had good luck with 60 but again, I don't really care much about the tearing. My top concern is input lag which is all that really impacts laptimes. My guess is DD is actually running VSync due to running Windowed mode which is why framerates higher than 60 give him better laptimes. He should give Fullscreen with VSync off and Max Framerate=60 a shot and he will probably still run great laptimes.

Like I said, I will try to get some high framerate video with my real wheel in line with the animated wheel so you can see exactly how much lag there is with various settings.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Assuming VSync is turned off then probably not.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I have also 120hz(144hz) monitors, with my system 60hz is bit more blurry and picture don`t look as "bright".

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Many >60 Hz monitors go into this weird mode when run at 60 Hz. It introduces a ton (relatively speaking) of input lag. It's like a fake 60 Hz with frame doubling or something? Sorry I can't remember, all I remember is that it's bad and my ASUS VG248QE, along with some other high-end gaming monitors, did it. For this reason, I highly recommend not using 60 Hz, while gaming, with these sort of monitors. If you can't reach 144 fps (@ 144 Hz), or 120 fps (@ 120 Hz), then aim for 100 fps (@ 100 Hz). 100 Hz works brilliantly.

Some of these monitors also have an option for 85 Hz; I'm not sure if 85 Hz has the same issue as 60 Hz.

17. Addict

Addict Registered

Is it appropriate to monitor 60HZ put Max Frame Rate =60 in the PLR?

18. stonec

stonec Registered

Of course, that's exactly what people here try to achieve (run same frame rate as Hz).

Monitor Hz is a bit overrated in my view, in that sense I have to agree with DD. Difference between 60 Hz (1/60 = 16.6 ms) and 120 Hz (1/120 = 8.3 ms) is only ~ 8 milliseconds. Only part of the picture gets this maximum delay, so on average the difference is even lower. I cannot make any difference in laptimes or visuals when I "overclock" my screen to 75 Hz, it feels exacty same as 60 Hz. More important is to look for a monitor with close to 0 input lag.

In order of importance for me: FPS (decent and constant) > no vsync or windowed mode on > no monitor input lag > decent monitor response time > monitor Hz.

19. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Actually there is huge difference 60hz vs 120hz , LightBoost 120fps gives 1,9-1,4ms amount of motion, I am never going back to 60hz monitors.

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I suspect you are right that the monitor is actually fixed at 144hz and everything else is actually simulated. It remember when LCD monitors were first starting to surface and a lot of them had a 72hz option so they didn't look inferior to CRTs on spec sheets. This 72hz mode was really a bunch of bull, the monitor was simply simulating 72hz but the panel still ran 60hz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.