What is RIGHT with ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DurgeDriven, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It was a game that's considered a sim, obviously I wouldn't compare to just any racing game, but serious sims only.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol don't you get all serious now omfg

I was having jokes as Ari screwed the thread anyways with his warbles.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Unless you want to join him, I would suggest not involving yourself in the situations of others. All this does is makes it look like you support what they did to get banned, which means you're a candidate for it as well. Most likely you have no idea of circumstance, so it may be best for people to refrain from this in future.

4. Domi

Domi Registered

Like now with Eduard, creator of the Minimalist UI.... it seems spaniards arent welcome here :(

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Is this English? Might I be so illiterate in a such manner that I can understand a thing from you? WTF?

6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

This thread has officially become pathetic.

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

+1. Probably the only threads worth looking at now are car or track threads or the screenshot threads.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh and I love the fact that things have a raw and realistic feeling and visual look as well (not that I'm opposed to further graphical improvements), rather than being soft and blurry like some other game's with their post-processing and overall "video-gamey" visual style, DOF, over-blurring the distance, etc.

But really it's all about the physics anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I tried Grid Autosport recently. The base textures and models were OK, but nothing special from what I could see. But it still somehow looked nicer than it should. Were my eyes duped by a bit of blur and a hell of a lot of bloom? :D

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In my opinion, you nailed it.

The bloom and blur are a couple things that give games a "prettier" picture; they make things look fancier, and many people seem to prefer that look - all sorts of filters and "drama" to the image. It's sort of like how you can use SweetFX to make a game look way better and more beautiful - yes it looks "better" but "better" doesn't necessarily mean the game looks more accurate relative to what a human-being sees in reality. Unfortunately, most people prefer the artificial-but-more-beautiful, cinematic, dramatic, and artistic/stylish look, rather than just pure, raw realism. It's kind of like a speaker with all sorts of boosted frequencies in order to give it a more "fun" sound, rather than just having everything properly calibrated to the way the source material is meant to sound - not a perfect example, but ya.

I've noticed a lot of games actually have lower resolution and/or just lower quality textures than RF2, however, since you hardly go up close to walls/buildings/fences/grass, etc. in racing games, you can easily get away with lower quality textures while spending more time refining lighting, HDR, etc. A perfect example is GranTurismo. If you look at the textures during gameplay of fences, grass, buildings, all sorts of objects, you'll see a lot of fairly low res / low quality stuff, however, most hardly notice it because the mind/brain mostly notices other things like lighting, HDR, reflections, and graphical-physics (how the vehicle dynamics look on-screen). Unless the textures are absolutely atrocious, the mind doesn't say "hey those bricks on that building are kind of low-res, they should be more finely detailed and sharp" - I guess because there's nothing stopping an object in real-life from looking like a low detail object in game (Eg. a terribly low-res and un-detailed red table in a game can equally be represented in real-life by a plain-red table with no lines, dots, details, nothing) - however, the same can't be said for lighting, HDR, reflections, etc. (Eg. a table that doesn't shine or reflect differently depending on it's environment cannot exist in real-life, so having this in-game will automaically be noticed and look bad EVEN IF the table had the most amazingly high-res and detailed texture work) and therefore it's those things (HDR, lighting, reflections, and physics-to-graphics representation, not so much textures) that the brain pays much more conscious and subconscious attention to, and therefore those are the things that actually make something "feel" visually realistic.

Moral of the story...games can get away with lower quality / lower resolution textures as long as the general lighting, reflections, HDR, and physics-graphical-representation look good, however, it is much more difficult do the opposite and still have a great image - the opposite being low quality lighting, reflections, HDR, and physics'-graphical-representation while having amazingly detailed and super high quality textures. This is a reason why some games can look "better"/more realistic than RF2, even though the RF2 textures may blow that other game's textures out of the water.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I haven't played it so I don't know how it actually looks in front of me, but from videos I think what happens is the way the game drives (ha) your attention to other aspects while driving. There is the different lighting and some exacerbation of contrast, that fits into its world, but if you actually look around you may perceive things outside the main scope are flat and like I said, they make you focus elsewhere for example with the cockpit blur. I think the game is grossly underwhelming but my idea of fun outside of sims is still benchmarked by Mario Kart, Daytona USA and Sega Rally.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Learn to use Google

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :p

Fire cracker does not go off, a fizza'

In Otherwords ............. " is that it Ari ? you got nothing good to say about it ? "

Tell me why should I be serious when the posts he makes what is right about ISI are trolling nothing more..... ?

ffs lol

Can't understand a "thing" here we go again ............... ( slaps forehead)

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Ari started it !

looool

;)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What did I say no compare to other sim what do you do, did I say anything, no, I shut my mouth.

not only that you bag it. ( whole idea was to get away from bagging all sims )

I mean stuff you anyway I was talking to my mate Ari hehehe, not you and he answered me and politely ! , he knew what I meant ! and he knew I was joking.

What does that say for you ?

15. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

What ISI does right is giving the community what it needs for league racing. My experience is that I am SOOO HAPPY with the rf2 race logs now since I started working on other sims for Simresults.net.

Although the rFactor 2 logs have some weird bugs sometimes (introduce server xml logs?), the logs are in proper format. For rFactor 2 I wrote a parser, some bugs, DONE. Wrote new features, some bugs, DONE. It just works.

For other sims (cough AC) there is no clear result format and I have wasted 100x more time I ever spent on rFactor 2 parsing. And it is still bugged sometimes. Because there are actually no proper result files. Just server output garbage

This is what I realised yesterday. ISI is the only sim creator that understands the community on that matter.

Oh and flag rules, swapping drivers, etc :) I complained about rf2 alot but eventually realised we are quite spoiled too ;)

I tried not to compare much. But to put things in perspective we should :D

16. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

now quoting voices in his head ahaha

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I know you were joking, the problem is that I got myself confused to the point of indignation lol

Yeap, Google is a solution but appealing to Google every single post is quite demanding.

Regarding to the other simulator mention, same stuff, that engine-braking got me so angry that I couldn't resist to blaspheme here, even further when I compare to the rF2 braking physics which is miles ahead.

18. canastos

canastos Registered

Well said!

Now plug your wheel and have some racing with us ;)

byyyyyyyyyyye

19. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Haha. I try at times :p

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I've just raced against 29 AIs in Sebring, mixed classes (URDs, GT2, GT3 and some 370z).

ISI GT2 Corvette is very, very hard to drive and demands a lot of setup tweaking. The default setup is a kind of catch, 40% of differential power is killing. It took me a lot of work to tame the monster torque, but the distinguished FFB and the excellent Thrustmaster T500rs and Fanatec V2 Clubsport help a lot to do the job during the practise sessions.

Starting from the middle of the grid I managed to keep some GT2 and 370z behind me, but the AI behavior is particularly interesting, sometimes they seem to reason as a human, and they often led me to do some mistakes but not going that off. The progressive grip, although be hardcoded, increases the immersion in the race scene. If I was out of the line at the corner exit fatally AIs were able to overbrake me in the next track corner.

After two hours racing I finished in 19 out of 29, and physically tired due the T500rs force. It was a rewarding experience, as I felt after a kart racing in real life. Graphics is not that believable, but the overall enjoyment is just great.