What is RIGHT with ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DurgeDriven, Jan 16, 2015.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This thread was purely for the sarcasm in my first post
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23063-WHAT-is-WRONG-with-ISI

This time I am dead serious.

For each driver and 500+ guys I have lapped with F3 in my room ...............

What " does it for you ?"

No talking about the negatives no debate no compares no buts.

I like I can install as little as I like. ( *** from a fresh install )
    I like mod manager.
    I like I can download cars and tracks even if I don't join or actually do online.
    I like I can swap cars and skins in room.

There you go, heaps left to talk about guys and I never even mentioned one of the things ( many) I like the most . hehehe :)

I guess this thread will end up closed too because we all state positives. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll just post what I wrote in the Silverstone thread, above all it was the immersion that won it for me with the following:

I just finished a 2Hour GT Layout race with the AI (with the help of the wonderful 'Resume From Replay' feature!), had a few good battles at the start and blew the first Pit Stop by getting a 10second Stop & Go for Speeding in Pit Lane! Gradually managed to alter a few lines once the Rubber was setting in (Normal build up speed) to help me attack the AI through Abby & Farm Curve, which resulted in great side by side a few times through Village, The Loop & Aintree then onto Wellington Straight where I had to pass them under braking into Brooklands.....so life like and "Real" I could've sworn I was racing online!

Got caught behind some backmarkers having their own battle which actually made me say "WOW!" at one point when they rubbed panels going through Chapel, then managed to overtake two on the very final lap and snatch 2nd place in the setting sun at 8:30pm...bloody marvellous it was!

All in all this is what RF2 is all about for me, great AI on a great track with a great mod! (URD + another for the slower class too add that Backmarker realism)

3. boxer

boxer Registered

The experience while racing...no other current sim(I OWN) provides the same feeling.
    Sometimes you forget you are in a SIM. :)
    Most of the great mods/tracks we already have.

4. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

rF2 is the only sim that intends to be a complete racing simulator.

I mean, full day-night cycle, decent AI and Netcode / Online system (this one not achieved yet), changing weather, modable, realistic damage. Cheers for it. Physics are close to the perfection aside crashing, FFB is a pleasure.

Assetto Corsa doesn't have a simple flag system (!) and other basic racing items as AI fuel depletion (no offline pit stops) and other lacking stuff, but they're already putting new DLC for sale before to complete they very system. Unbelievable.

How I wish the rF2 graphics engine would be more clever and make use of some powerful systems (SLI support is a ****box to date, let's see the future).

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

ISI created the base for a ton of our racing games, dating back to EA's F1 years.
    ISI has people very capable of making a thoroughly entertaining game that makes us feel like we're driving cars that are out of our reach (or not) in real life.
    ISI distributes its own game without annoying DRM. The big boss is a cool guy.
    ISI is able to create a few cars and tracks I sorely desire.... wink wink WINK ;) ;) DAMMIT.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I like to look at the tires during a replay, how they deform, move and react to every little bump and change in the road.
    I like how there are no wonky physics at play, ever. Everything the car does makes sense all the time. If I go off I always know why I went off.
    I like that I get a roller coaster feeling in my stomach every time I catch air at the Flugplatz on Nords.
    I like it when the sun breaks the cloud cover and everything turns colorful and lovely.
    I like the evolution of the road during a long race. The look of a really rubbered in track does it for me every time I see it.
    I like when the an AI opponent is able to go side by side with me through a series of corners, no contact.
    I like how I can manage my tires throughout a long stint.
    I like that I can select 1st gear before the lights go out (sorry couldn't resist ;))

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

+1 on the ability to only install selected content, my 120GB SSD is full enough as is.
    Also +1 on the least invasive DRM (I heartily dislike Steam).

I like the customization we can do for a race and the AI. I'm bad at full length Grand Prix, but I can still set up the AI and the parameters for a short race such that we have a mandatory pitstop, that the realroad does it's magic, that maybe the SC comes out - but not all the time - and that the time of day changes appropriatly. I can modify the AI easily enough to match relative performance of the real world drivers (if the mod didn't do it by itself), I can modify agression and speed separatly and to a very fine point so the challenge is just right.

For offline, it is really a "sandbox" where the best player can do 100% distance Race, even Endurance, and the worst player can still find a really good and realistic challenge.

The only thing I'm missing for perfection is a better flashback/resume after crash system (I don't like working with huge replay files), and a dynamic random weather with proper visual and AI implementation of wet driving.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

ah ah aaaaaa

and no IFS. forgot that one :)

+1 the rest guys :)

Missed that one too Hex how dare you slip that in !@! lol ;)

9. Depco

Depco Registered

The immersion of the game is incredible. When doing a league race I feel the stress and nerves upon race start and start to relax when the field starts to spread out. The weather system is good. In fact I remember doing a race at Hockenheim with the league. During the qual a storm came through. The track was wet for the remainder of the race. (We had set the time compression to 1x for some reason) While doing my laps I slowly started to see the dry line come up. It was one of the most memorable things in the race. I finished in the middle of the pack but that Dry line... what a great bit of weather related race realism. In fact the dry line and rain effected the outcome as tire strategy came into play and I was able to finish in front of a faster racer who chose the wrong tire believing he could handle the intermediate tires instead of the wet tires... real decisions based on the games awesome physics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  10. bwana

bwana Registered

+1 can really relate to this post, After varying weather at Silverstone during Qual in a league race using the F2 , a down poor of rain in the early stages of the race and watching and FEELING the dry line evolve I was completely amazed at the sensation and SIMULATION , to then have to look after the tyres ,make the decision to either change or stay out on fading tyres was as good as it gets bar none.

The sensation of actually going fast is also a major positive to me add to that fast racing with sensible AI if I cant find a server running the car I have the urge at the time to run is brilliant..

I also love the development of the whole experience ,to be in from relatively early days and see and FEEL the results of so many people with talent creating tracks and cars is special.

Got a gripe .sry DD. That Damn Lester has given me RSI in my wrist which has me in the paddock for awhile, purely from hanging on so hard and driving those Damn Celicas and T280's ( that's a real simulation issue)

11. elsnibo

elsnibo Registered

Community

I find that the sense of community is strong within the Rfactor titles. Maybe this isn't ISI's doing completely, but RF1 seemed to have built a strong foundation and while there have been issues with RF2, people are nearly always happy to help out and give advice.

12. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

I can see that ISI and my own software development philosophy are very much in line.

My audio software:

-trounces the competition in number of features (nearest competitor only has 1/3rd of my feature set)
    -has gone through a meticulous design process to make sure all the features work together for the absolute best user experience
    -is used by professionals
    -turns away casual users due to its complexity
    -looks pretty good, but not as appealing as the 'super shiny' competition
    -has clearly (and sadly) not sold as well as other 'lowest common denominator' products

So, I very much appreciate what ISI is doing here and the lofty goals they're aiming for. I'm an ex-club-racer and rF2 is the only title that comes close to emulating the real racing experience.

13. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I like the FFB, its just so realistic.
    I love the Real Road, makes a race truly immersive.
    I would the physics but this is a personal choice as not all mods are up to a standard as such.
    I love that ISI has made a sim that makes it hard to create a truly great mod and its takes a lot of time for one to be released where as the other " major competitor " has mods coming out daily, I think that that alone proves that the competitor is a more simple game.
    Rfactor 2 is a simulation of motor racing, not a game.
    I like that I don't have to pay for a new car or a new track if I don't want to.
    I can't say how much I love the sounds, I don't mind the graphics, would be good to have it looking like Forza 4 if I ever made videos but while I'm racing I couldn't care less about the scenery, all I want to do is win.
    I hate that I can't win.
    I love that bwana has RSI ( although I don't think its from racing at Lester if you get my drift ) as he races in the same leagues as me and he usually beats me, but he can't when he's not there.

And to quote Hexagramme
    " I like how there are no wonky physics at play, ever. Everything the car does makes sense all the time. If I go off I always know why I went off. "
    I know why I go off too, because I'm a crap driver!
    Thanks for that ISI.:cool:

Oh, and I forgot, the netcode for online racing is the best bar none !

14. Matt A

Matt A Registered

Its my Favourite ... need i say more :)

oh, ok then...

Its the physics like hexagramme said above, when I go off in RF2 I always know why, I can pinpoint that moment the loss of control occurs, and IF im good enough I can catch it SOMETIMES. But I never feel cheated by the
    underlying simulation, its always my fault because I pushed over my limit, and that I am fine with :)

I personally love the graphics when all the elements are correct, at the right time of day this sim is the most realistic imho, very clean, nice colours.

FFB... imho the best around :)

Oh and I really love the sounds. Excellent.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When the cars are grippy, they don't seem grippy in an "arcadey"/artificial/scripted way, they still move around with fidelity when nearing the limits. That is what happens in real-life. Some "sims" don't have these little dynamic movements and sensitivities from the vehicle dynamics, but rather just exhibit an artificially over-stable, movement-less, dynamic-less vehicle behavior until you get to an almost scripted point in the grip where the game says "alright, enough super stable physics, time to enable understeer or oversteer". Although RF2's physics aren't perfect (no sim is), the fantastic sense of complexity and fidelity in it's vehicle-physics behavior is actually a trait that is buried deep in the ISI physics engine as even ISI-engine based games going back to F1 2002, and possibly before (SCGT?), exhibited this basic foundation of highly dynamic and complex vehicle behavior. Even though the overall physics (including tyre model) where much more basic and flawed in those older ISI sims compared to RF2, that sense of complex & highly dynamic vehicle behavior was always apparent in those older titles as well.

Not many non-ISI engine based sims have that.

16. bwana

bwana Registered

Cheeky buggger.. I will return bwahahaha na

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think we will allow you that one grip ...errr gripe. ummmm :eek:

hehehe

:p

18. Jordan Meagher

Jordan Meagher Registered

Ive been playing racing games for a long time now and rF2 sticks out like dogs balls !! haha... its the fact it just gets me so in grossed in the race and the felling I get through the wheel that sets rF2 from the rest... LONG LIVE ISI and rF2 !!!!!

19. fullsus

fullsus Registered

RIGHT :
    If you come from another sim, You can't drive all car in rF2.
    If You can drive all car in rF2 , You can drive every car in every sim in this world.:D

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

That analogy is flame bait. lol

The question is what do YOU like about rF2, what is RIGHT in rF2 for YOU. ;)