What Kind of Racer Are You?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Jan 14, 2015.

?

What kind of racer do you see yourself as?

1. Gentleman Racer

44 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Determined/Driven to Win

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Professional

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. Weekend Warrior

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other (Please Specify)

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Lately I was thinking about the different kinds of racers, not only in sim racing, but in real racing as well. I did a write-up on it, to sum up what I feel most racers, real and sim, can be classified as.

http://simracingpaddock.com/editorial/racer-types/

What kind of racer do you see yourself as? Reply below, or vote in the poll

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Gentleman racer at heart but then again, all of the above!

The reason i'm a gentleman racer is because I purely focus on the multiplayer aspect of sims and games, if it doesn't have real people, i'm not interested.
    Consequently I like dealing with people and therefore I am more prone to be a gentleman because that's where the profit is. (friends, good groups, fun, etc)

But blimey do I want to win. when in official league championships I keep all of the above but I gotta win, or die trying (I dieded many times)
    I guess its the competition gen in our male heads, we gotta get that score...

Ok maybe not so professional, I really have to work hard to get fast to that rules me out from that label.

But I can easily be a weekend warrior for sure, when things are slow or off-season, I can go pickup racing just the same. ok, I get annoyed with it after a few weeks but it can be done or else I just goof around with friends online.

Because the key to being really serious, is trying not to be.
    That's an ancient Chinese saying I just made up.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Professional ? Who here does sim racing for a living, who pays. ?

Gentleman racer is trying to make sure everyone has a good time.

Doesn't mean you can't be as competitive as a "pro" either. :rolleyes:

Depends how seriously you take yourself, but the way a lot of people talk about rF2 in this forum I can't see how they do.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Mostly driven to win, but with a healthy portion of gentleman racer too.
    But it depends a lot on the situation.

5. matf1

matf1 Registered

I want pole, fastest lap and a great battle. The win is not important to me unless I'm fighting for it.
    As much as I try to be fair, I'm not a gentleman so I guess I'm a weekend warrior.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I would say Professional for me. I would have said Gentleman Racer in the past but since I got into endurance racing my mind set dramatically changed. Even as a Gentleman Racer I was always determined to win. I wasn't just there for the racing but also driven to win. I just wouldn't try to manipulate rules or drive dirty to win. After a win I would like to know that I did it purely on strategy and driving ability and not because I chop blocked someone or dive bombed. In endurance the mindset changed even more where I don't take as many risks because I don't want to end a 12 hour race at the 11th hour or 2nd hour. Our team has done a few 12 hour races were the results file didn't have a single incident... not even with a cone or sign. We won a 12 hour race at Le Mans without a single contact and ended up winning the season. Also in endurance you have tons of time to just hang out behind people learning their weaknesses and what parts of the track you have an advantage and finally pull of a risk free pass. Then you also add in the traffic. Such a blast.

7. Maug

Maug Registered

I'm a crash test dummy driver.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sounds mad Noel :) and WD btw lol

Would be nice for this to be taken to the next level via co-op whatever.

Run events and championships based on local region and eventually country and continents.

ProjectCARS I understand will have fully working 24Hour Lemans events culminating in a WC event
    of best there is, should be pretty hot comp. ;)

Stuff like that would be cool, where one driver or a team of drivers don't have to be necessarily in a league persay.

9. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Weekend Professional Determined to win Gentleman Racer, :cool: my time is limited these days do to work, life and having a 2 year old running around but when I do race I practice till I am within 1% of the top guys paces on iracing, than I will qualify and race. If I don't have time to qualify I won't race for that week. I like to race clean and fairly and love to help others with setup and CQB, it benefits all evolved.

Noel, you pretty much nailed it my man, although I don't have time for endurance racing, it is something I see myself being tuned for. I hope we can race together one day on a team or against each other. ;)

Nice thread William.

10. Triketech

Triketech Registered

Just a hobby simracer who doesn't care about winning. Not quite a geezer, maybe geezer larvae.

Spent enough time in my younger days on track in SCCA & IMSA. Never quit my day job, that's what paid the bills. Ran a pretty good league a few years ago, but every now & then someone would come along clearly cheating and that just ruins a good thing.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Wasn't me I swear................ ;)

[​IMG]

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Lol DD... I'm a frustrated injured weekend warrior who apart from being physically nobbled atm my work gets in the way of my real sim love being league racing.

13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Other, please specify.
    Type: Engineer Racer

I push myself to get a fast as I can. I'll spend approx 3-5 times race distance (and sometimes 10 times) in setup and practice. Ill do a 40 lap run to get tyre wear data in Motec and then adjust setup to optimise it. Once I have a setup I'm happy with Ill work more again on pace.
    In a race I drive clean. I want long battles that I win on strategy/setup/tyre life as well as pace. But a close 15 lap tussle that I lose is nearly as much fun.
    A top 10 in a tough league is preferred to a win in an easy one.
    Being dropped by an alien then getting him late in the stint due to tyre wear is bliss.
    Yep I'm the engineer driver.

14. dbell76

dbell76 Registered

i would say i'm a Weekend Gentleman Driver
    i don't count to the fast Drivers but i prepair my self during the week for the Raceweekend with a lot of practicetime and a good Portion of determination
    my aim is to be competitive with the field and have nice clean fights even for the last Position

15. Tony

Tony Registered

That's some pile-up Durge :D

16. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'm the kind who has a poor setup, and whose butt hurts thanks to the stupid chair. Wait, chairs are inanimate and cannot think. It cannot be stupid. The design can be stupid, but not the chair itself. So what about the person who buys the chair and uses it in a way which isn't most beneficial?

I am a stupid butt-hurt (literally) wasted talent sometimes driven to win driver.

17. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The hurting of butts is nothing new to simracing Guimengo :)

18. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol.

Oh, since I'm in this thread now, I'm sportsmanlike. Not sure where that fits into the poll.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Obvious, you are "Other (Please Specify)".

Doesnt sound bad, like Name, Fathers name and Surname. Ill have that too.

20. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

and I despise drivers who will end a 10 or 15 lap battle of skill and tactics by ramming you 1 corner from home so they can win.