Real mirrors showing parts of the cockpit/car

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Gugus, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Hi all,

even if I guess this would add some overload of the graphic engine, I really would like that mirrors show parts of the cockpit (for the central mirror) or parts of the car body (for the external ones).
    The fact that mirrors can move along with the head (I’m using FaceTrackNoIR) is *really* cool and immersive,
    but it’s somehow degraded by these false impressions from the mirrors, looking more like TV screens than effective mirrors.

Some cars have in-board cams in place of mirrors, then it should be taken into account, in order to show the exact POV of the cam, I guess..

My 2 cents. :)
    Hugues.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

There's a setting in the player file to enable it, but most mods are created to not render the rear half of the cockpit... It's car/mod dependent.

3. Some1

Some1 Registered

Hm, the Corvette and NSX feature a full cockpit, but enabled the setting in the plater file still does not show the cockpit in the mirrors.

4. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Oh, great news !
    Whatever, I just found this post,
    it looks like I should take a look to these « Self In Cockpit Rearview » option...

Thanks you very much for the tip .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The setting won't work, I've already tried

6. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Yeah, sad but true ;/
    I did some tries this evening, and it appears that either with values 15, or 4, (I didn’t tried all of the 16 possible values :)) there is still no cockpit/body showing on my mirrors,
    neither from the BES Porsche 997 nor from the Nissan GTR or Renault Clio 1.49..
    Although all of those cars do have a full cockpit view (I checked with free view cam). :/

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hmmm, then you've confirmed that it's not due to those parts of the cars not being rendered during cockpit view (unless free-cam is different than cockpit view). I don't know what else it could be as this works in rF1 based sims like GSCE where it's done very well and realistically.

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The post says clearly that most mods don't render the rear half of the car...

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's not that.
    You can look around in cockpit and the car will be there. The car itself is complete. It's just not rendered in rear view mirrors.

10. Gugus

Gugus Registered

So, I think this is a bug with the rendering engine.. I’ll try to get attention from the ISI devs about this.
    In fact, there is a clearly documented option in the player.json file (Self In Cockpit Rearview ), where different values are perfectly explained..

More than this « immersive » stuff, it will also help setting correctly these mirrors by using car body/cockpit as helpers.. :)

I know some cars have only a half cockpit (f.e. the Brabham BT20 ), but most of the GT I tried have a full cockpit..

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Exactly.

In my F2000 days we were told to set the mirrors up so that we could just barely begin to see the outer edge of either the rear-tyre or rear-wing (can't remember, but I think it was the tyre) because you're not supposed to be looking at or paying attention to what's directly behind you, but only paying attention to what's behind you to the sides, for eg. when someone is pulling out for a pass.

And also, fixing this setting would make the look behind button not work since you would be staring into your own seat just like in GSCE. "Look behind" is not realistic.

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It's not really a bug. I think it's like this by choice. There's just no way of doing it right without performance issues. Especially in DirectX9.
    That setting in json file is probably left there from rF1 (despite that file format has changed - perhaps it's something they've left for future development).

Look at this screenshot from iRacing LINK
    If you look at center mirror (not the virtual one) you will see inside of the car reflected. When you look at right mirror, you will see the door reflected, as seen from outside of the car. This means the two mirrors show your car from different perspectives.
    Similar situation here: LINK

So, each individual mirror show slightly different view. In rF1 and rF2 there is just one wide rear view split into 3 mirrors. But that means you can get proper perspective in only one of them. It's acceptable with road and objects further back, since this makes differences in point of view lesser. But with own car parts you will have wrong perspective.

rF1 accepted that compromise. rF2 does not. iR has put a lot of effort to solve this and get mirror perspectives right.

Check this post if you want: LINK

13. Gugus

Gugus Registered

I totally agree & understand the technical difficulties behind having both internal & external mirrors, and understand what’s behind those 3 mirrors hence rendered by only one wide rearcam, split across 3 areas..

But I think there is - at least - one possible workaround :
    calculating the internal cockpit parts / external body parts that should be shown on mirrors once they are set-up, avoiding graphic/cpu usage at each frame rendering,
    then just « copy-paste » these parts as fixed textures into the mirrors areas during standard driving sessions.

I’m totally aware that still some features won’t be available with this workaround :
    1/ reflections/dynamic lights/etc won’t be rendered on the body parts
    2/ for people using head tracking , the body/cockpit will be more likely «static» as they are not rendered dynamically.

But at least, that will provide some «real» feeling with mirrors, and help better adjusting them - it’s really hard to set them up correctly when we don’t see anything from the real car on them.

This could be some very cool workaround, IMHO..

14. Some1

Some1 Registered

Well, you could also render the body parts with lower frequency. If the car had 3 rear view mirrors, then you could render one mirror per frame on a round-robin fashion. It would have more or less the same performance impact as the single mirror solution, but the "fps in the mirror" would just be lower.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Regardless of how you refresh it, doing 3 independent views for car parts and just one single view for everything else has a flaw - mismatch of perspectives.

This may seem like a minor issue, but consider this - during close racing situation people would see other cars rendered at different perspective than your parts in side mirrors. This means you could see "ghost" effect, when other car is at the same place where your car parts are. Or you could collide with a car that seemed to be 1m away from your door or sidepod.

You can imagine people reporting these two situations as a new bug and requesting it to be "fixed" :)

It's the usual story - today someone wants to see parts in mirror, tomorrow someone will want them to be perfect :)

16. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Thats nonsense. Having 3 -independant- mirrors *does* changes the perspective at some point... Plus, it *adds* other perspectives. Exactly 1 per mirror (multiplied by mirrored mirrors ;))
    That's the exact purpose of mirrors : putting virtually your eyes on another part of the world (your eyes are projected perpendiculary to the plan of the mirror..).

But, eh, why bothering asking for improvements if other will always find that its not perfect ? ;p

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

FYI just because it's in the player file doesn't mean it works as explained, there's a few other options in there that do nothing.

18. Gugus

Gugus Registered

They should at least be documented as not working/WIP/obsolete/whatever, then...

Just sayin’.

But hey, despite those details, rF2 is still far my favourite simracing... :)

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Interesting. I never noticed that in RF1, GSCE, etc. So basically RF1's three mirrors are the equivalent of playing in triple screen with Multiview disabled, and IR's three mirrors are like playing with Multiview enabled, correct?

Even if true, the RF1 style still blows away not having anything at all.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What is the use of mirrors, barely anyone uses them

Mate the only perspective virtual mirrors add is a cheat.

I don't care if you use 3 screens or reduced FOV.

Why should you have a advantage when it is not a problem for me.

ergo it is a fantasy cheat pure and simple

lol

sitting in any real car using real perspective you can see mirrors ........ p

You all go on about realism. lmao

Virtual mirrors is not a cheat. ..........keep tellin' ya selves that.