Any tips for driving the Skippy?

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by buddhatree, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It has one of the best cockpits in RF2 :confused:

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd also recommend people to remove the auto blip and such manually on their .json. I maintain auto clutch but I like doing my own rev matching, etc.

3. Dalek

Dalek Registered

Talking about the Skippy's here, would someone know why in the default setup, the front end is higher then the rear ?

As a rule of thumb i though the front was to allways be lower then the rear to get some downforce...

Also, toe in/out on both the front and rear seems quite extreme...

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah...and the way the car is balanced is all wrong too...hence the trickyness to driving it.

It's a training car, so I'd say the answer to that question is quite obvious XD. No point making a training car to drive like the best thing possible. What could it teach you compared to any other small open wheeler?

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Some of those settings help with under/over steer. Try changing them values around and see how wildly the car will drive.

6. rer8

rer8 Registered

FIRST: Increase front tire pressure in small increments, until you have gained control of the front end and balanced the car... This is "a" method I found to correct for over-steer. Complete the majority of the braking prior to the turn in on curves. Power changes (lifting off the throttle) must be VERY smooth/gradual to avoid trailing throttle over-steer (TTO) especially if there is any turning moment. Add power at a rate that allows you to remain in control of the car.

Consider getting and reading "Going Faster." Re-read as often as necessary.

Have fun with this challenging car. It will prepare you for the more powerful cars in ways you may not have considered.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  7. richl

richl Registered

Really nice thread, some really good information in here, thanks for the effort, Golanv, great video, I have "Going Faster", I used to read it when I was racing GPL and other simulations back some time ago, I'll have to dust it off and go thru it again. Think I'll play around in the skippy for awhile, it's a fun car to toss about at LimeRock, After 1/2 a decade away from sim racing, I have much to learn and maybe somethings to relearn.
    Thank you ISI, after playing the demo the last month, I finally pulled out the card and made the purchase, looks like just these cars and LimeRock will make the purchase worth it!

Rich

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sometimes you can take a shallow line into the corner - almost as if you are turning too early and on your way to hitting an early apex - as the cars ability to rotate mid-corner can make up fir that. This allows you to turn the car much less on entry since you're approaching the corner at a straight line (but pointed towards the apex) therefore keeping the car's rear much more stable.

9. Backmarker

Backmarker Registered

haha! I am having the same issue! The car is driveable, but I feel like I am trying to keep the car on ice! I will try out some of these driving suggestions and play with the car setup over the weekend and see if I can enjoy the car.
    thanks!

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Not sure if already mentioned but might want to start with national