Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by rer8, Jan 8, 2015.

1. rer8

rer8 Registered

I recently ordered a nice add-on for my rig. It cost ~ $240.00 USD. It was shipped using USPS. I believe that the package was delivered at another address and reported as delivered to my address. The vendor has told me that since the package has been reported as delivered that the insurance does not cover my loss. The vendor specifically stated that I was not allowed to share any details about my loss or any part of the refusal email that they sent me, hence no names of the vendor are included. This makes me unhappy, but there does not appear to be any way for me to recover my loss or my lost item. So, the take-away is: be certain as to how your order is to be shipped and whether you will be insured in the event of the loss of the item through no fault of your own. As for me, I will not be ordering anything from any vendor who uses United States Postal Service as their sole shipping agent.

Lesson learned!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

Fedex is the one that does this to me all the time...you can't blame one bad (or blind) driver on the entire chain. In ten years of weekly packages to and from USPS, they've never missed a beat for me. Thankfully my neighbors are kind and every time they get fedexed they just drop it on over at my house.

You need to call USPS and raise a fuss, and you will be elevated to someone who can do something, trust me. I've had to do the same

3. rer8

rer8 Registered

fohdeesha,
    Thank you for your response. I have been talking to the local supervisor of carriers for 2 days now and have agreed to wait until after our conversation tomorrow before attempting to elevate my concerns. He has been very polite, however he has not yet talked directly to the carrier of the lost parcel. We shall see, and I will be careful to report the results of this saga. :) Thanks

4. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Registered

I hope it goes well :)

Don't give up until you get your money back or the product you ordered!

5. rer8

rer8 Registered

I had an additional thought that might be useful. After the fact I read the sales policy of the vendor of the item in question. They state that with few exceptions that they are not responsible for nor will they accept returns unless special conditions are met. Take away: Read the small print prior to ordering. Shame on me, I know better.

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Lol why would you not be allowed to tell us their name? That's nothing more than scare tactic of the company to save face. This isn't North Korea, you can say whatever the hell you like.
    If it's payed with Paypal, file a complaint at Paypal and you'll have your money back in no time.
    If it's with credit card, contact your bank.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

With small companies you get results quickly, the bigger the company, the harsher the process. I agree with fohdeesha, gotta hammer it down until they take notice of you because its more likely to be an overcomplicated system then ill-will.

8. traind

traind Registered

Agree!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

So USPS sent it to the wrong address even though the address on the package was correct?

10. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

To op... I feel your pain.
    We seem to have less protection as purchasers than years ago.
    It also seems to be getting worst every year.
    I ordered a 26 gallon upright compressor for my garage early last week.
    I stipulated Fedex call me BEFORE delivery in the 'notification' section of the shipper tag.
    Imagine my surprise driving up to see a huge box left in plain sight on the patio of my new house...which I'm not yet moved into, eight minutes from my current address.
    It was delivered and sat there for one and a half days prior...no call...no notification.

11. rer8

rer8 Registered

Ok... I promised to let you know how things worked out. I bothered the supervisors at the post office at least twice a day through Thursday. Oh, did I mention my wife went down and raised the roof at the post office itself, and people in line cheered her on. Yikes, I almost feel sorry for those guys. As it turns out the parcel was delivered to an address similar to mine.... 17607 vs the correct 19607 with a different street name and a little more than a mile away. Good grief... in defense of the normal mail man it was a sub on the normal guys day off. The package was recovered and delivered to my house this afternoon... wife gave the postman a 3 pack of that non-alcohol bubbly stuff... better him than me, and he was polite and thanked her. So, good advice from those above... raise the roof, don't give up... I recommend polite language, but let there be no doubt that you expect results, and that failure to successfully complete the mission will have consequences... Works where I work, and as it turned out, it worked with the the USPS. Happy end to the story. Only 4 days late.

After rereading my first (angry) post I may consider the USPS as reliable and use them because after all most of us mortals make a few mistakes from time to time. Me, only 5 or 6 an hour. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  12. Promag

Promag Registered

illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards get you down....:)

13. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Really glad it got sorted for you.
    This kind of thing can be really frustrating.

14. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Did the people who received your parcel not think to let you know? Did they open it?

15. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Good on you rer8. I sometimes have same issue here, my street has this little old people "resort" with a bunch of small house right next to it, their streetname ends with "Kavelhof" for them and "Kavellei" for my street so you can imagine the amount of stuff that's gets misdelivered aswell to some poor old lady :D

16. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Rer8:

Glad you got it sorted out... I personally...have no patience for lack of professionalism.
    Over my 38 years of driving a tractor trailer before I retired last year...I had worked for a courier company and also name with held.

I can tell you with the technology in use to-day re: hand scanners, the scan should have told him via GPS, he was not a the right address per the bar code...so no excuse there..The packages get scanned one way or another every time the move.

It just shows that some people are dishonest as heck...the person that did receive it, would know darn well it wasn't there property..

Takes all types..

I do also know one sentence that usually gets the person on the other end wild Is "Listen here LITTLE man...Do you know how many people I have standing around here getting paid for your drivers lack of vision?"

That is usually just used when there is no hope of getting anywhere...It does ramp it up another notch.. LOL

Dave

NRT