New User: Graphics Seem Disappointing - Am I Missing Something

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skyh, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coops

coops Banned

sry rich. just get sick of every thing being about eye candy i think every1 thinks PC GAMING should look like console gaming when it never will. lets just hope ISI keep working at it. i have been here since the beginning maybe ppl should have been here then graphics were worse. lol

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It doesn't look flat and dull to me even in the middle of the day, why? Because of three words:

"Nvidia 3D Vision" ;)

But ya, generally speaking, the visuals have lots of room for improvement, but it's a completely different "universe" when playing in proper 3D, somehow it makes the dull looking parts of the day still look fantastic because of the massively realistic, natural, and immersive depth. Everything just has so much "shape" and "mass" to it. It's like a whole different reality from playing while looking at a piece of paper, oops I mean your 2D monitor. Plus, in 3D you create your own natural, true DOF like you do in real-life depending on where you look, therefore no fake & gimmicky graphical DOF effects are needed, infact, these fake, gimmick effects should always be disabled in every game when running 3D since your eyes/brain creates it's own true, real-life DOF effect.

I've been playing in 2D (and on a single screen with an arcadey 45 degree V.FOV) for the last week or so, and it's utter crap. Only now have I noticed the "flat" mid-day graphics that others complain about, while everything looked breathtaking for 6+ months prior to this in 3D (+ triple screens and a realistic FOV, but it's mostly, by far, because of the 3D).

A game like rFactor 2 - which goes for a more raw & gritty realistic look - gains even more, relative to other games, when being played in 3D.

Having said all that, there are still areas that need major improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  3. Twista

Twista Registered

It's not really a post about eye candy though. The OP was asking why he the sim doesn't look like the screenshots ISI post, and we're explaining the quirks of RF2.

OP wasn't demanding eye candy. I think it would be nice if some more modern things such as depth of field effects and post process filters were introduced, but I'm not asking the devs to drop what they're doing and work on it. I'm a photographer though, so maybe that's why I think things need work on the visual side ;)

Graphics are a big deal to a lot of people, though. It's just the reality of sim racing and gaming in general. It's one of the easiest areas to make comparisons between competing products, and ISI knows it's on the back foot in that area, and like I said in my first post in the thread, they're taking small steps to improving it. Is it enough? No, it's not. But it's a start, and RF2 offers a lot more in other areas that outweigh the downsides of the sim looking very muddy and strange at times.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

We want to watch ourselves mate, Tim C. will accuse us of being regurgitating fanboys. lool :rolleyes:

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Luckily I'm proud of being a regurgitating fanboy lol :D No reason not to be. :)

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

imo rfactor 2 graphics are fantastic when at their best , example : lime rock park 2.0
    -I think as it has new shaders etc it's also a recently released & updated track

we must also bear in mind that the graphics are dynamic too ( constantly changing with time of day weather settings etc)

some of the ISI non updated tracks & most of the 3rd party mods I agree are below par
    ("par" being a fair visual expectation in 2014/15)

but the important thing to me is rf2 ( & ISI's future releases ) is totally capable in the graphics dept.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Longford Dusk to Dawn is stunning.

Problem with RF2 is not graphics or bugs, it is barely 30 people spread in 20 rooms, only 6 of them are open, only one of those has ISI content. Mine lol

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the point should be nothing negative towards rf2's graphics capability or certain updated content

the negativity should perhaps be towards un-updated content, ISI/rf2 can't really be criticised for the bad looking 3rd party mods out there ( I know the core changing etc along the way hasn't helped (

hopefully rf2's core shaders will be left as they are & updated content will keep coming,
    any new mods should hopefully be better visually then too

edit : not sure if we can expect top visuals at every time of day/setting theres a point we have to accept what we have ( bet we all set time of day at our favourite setting now)
    AC can look good but at certain times of day but other times of day look awful

9. bwana

bwana Registered

+1.. You will never find a photographer worth his salt shooting in the middle of the day , doesnt do even the best subject any favors with out some serious shopping/editing.. I have my replay set at low res and 15 seconds record. not interested in the past , only the next corner

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

+1

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

You can learn from the past how your next corner would be :)

12. bwana

bwana Registered

Hence 15 seconds and low res

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Exactly ;)

It is okay though for intelligent and thoughtful well informed people to dredge up the same things that are lacking like shaders over and over and over for 3 years every week, yeah..

On the other hand the same people have a go at others that continually profess how good rF2 is.

You tell me what is more positive for prospective customers to read. ? :confused:

:p

------------------------------------------

If they want to see positive AC comments let them go to AC. :confused:

I have never said AC never looks good or that rFactor2 never looks bad.

So fair warning next intellectual jumps on me for holding rFactor2 dearest ......watch out, sick of your insults and insinuations.

Stop telling the forum how others think, you should hear yourselves.

I never make it personal but those types they always do, always end up with the smart conceited remarks.

==========================

All I can say is WOW :eek: lol

Like bare with me........ I get slammed for saying I don't like AC graphics as much a few times but a modder can run around saying rF2 screenshots suck and need editing.

hehehe something wrong with that.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah screenshots won't ever show your immersion and feelings. ;)

Good graphics will never help you lap better either, Nords is Nords.
    Anyone wants to argue come to Kyalami or Jarama with me in a F3. :)

A plug for rF2 graphics I often make and hardly anyone ever makes comment.

The distant LOD is brilliant, shapes and colour are more distinct.

Running up to Masta in a F3 you can make out 3 skins 2 seconds ahead.

Brake markers, signage, houses, all of it in the distance for mine is clearer

I suggest some people check that out in all sims. :)

Other sims in distance I see blurrier boxy cars.

Was a eye opener for me from day 1, like online I can actually see Hurrys and Mats and other drivers heads bobbling, 400 feet ahead when they are wandering a bit they get " head nod" lol , it is so surreal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I was playing with the new Clios and what may have been the new Lime Rock, in a server with full 24hr night/day cycles, and holy crap does rF2's graphics ever come alive once the sun starts to get a little lower, and it just keeps looking great as it goes to sunset, sundown, and full night.

Some things looked a little too dark at full night, for example: I could never see the first apex of the final chicane at Lime Rock (the chicane before the last corner). It was almost as if the entire ground was just a black smudge on my monitor, but I can't say for sure that's rF2, it could be monitor calibration, it could just simply be "black crush" due to most 120+ Hz, hardcore gaming monitors (eg. ASUS VG248QE, BenQ XL2411Z, etc.) having pretty crappy image quality. Who knows. Oh, and also, light reflections on the pavement seemed to turn on and off. But ya, overall, there was definitely quite a bit of beauty to it.

16. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

You missed testing the DEMO - then there would be no reason for disappointments, just not for you I guess...

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Unless he now tries older content, which is probably the main problem. Something there's no 'excuse' for. The 'reason' being lack of time.

18. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That might be the case, yes - but even older content looks WAY better than rfactor(1)

19. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I dont know why you keep going because the new user is long gone and satisfied with (and even admires) the graphics since post #13 :D

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Something seems to be in the air these days. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.