Newbie Questions - Dallara DW12 INDYCAR, Indianapolis, and AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Peters, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Michael Peters

Michael Peters Registered

I'm finally (yeah, 7 months later!) getting a weekend where I can finally try this out. I'm looking to have some fun races with the AI but am really not up to snuff on rFactor 2, in general, after being pretty expert with rF1 and the INDYCAR mods I built. I know AI was never a strong point, but I assume it has improved over time with the new version.

It appears that each "team" has their own unique setup for Indianapolis in the garage. My question is, are those setups automatically applied to the AI or do I have to go in and assign them to each driver before every race? Do I need to do "learning" like was required in rFactor in order to make the AI intelligent? Again, I'm not expecting it to feel like I'm racing others online, just looking to blow off some steam and have fun with some AI sprint races.

Thanks for any tips you all might have on how to make this car the best it can be while I enjoy it this weekend!

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

great track

wasn't this car getting an update due to more comprehensive data ISI were given (after 1st release) ? - I'm out of touch myself

( sorry I'm not answering your question )

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Hi Michael,
    for the specific AI-setup thing, I´m not sure. You mean there are setups that can be loaded in the setup-menue?

There is AI-learning, yes! For full function you have to tweak some settings in player.JSON.
    Ask me per PM if you want to go deeper.

4. Michael Peters

Is the AI learning something someone like you, with experience, could do and then share for the community at large?

I'm quite familiar with JSON code, as the primary application I work on at my day job utilizes the language, however I haven't yet cracked into any of the rFactor 2 files. I spent so many years modding rF1 that I just want to play this time around! I don't have the time and the heart for being a modder like I once was.

5. doug484

doug484 Registered

This would be something I'd be curious to hear about also. I think the AI in the Indycar is a little weak. I like the Indycar a lot and it would be helpful to know a little bit about options for adjustment. I can set opponent strength to 100% and beat them.

I'm not anywhere near that good of a driver - if I leave it at 100% and switch to another type of car I get ran over.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, I wasn´t very detailed. Sorry for that!
    I don´t know how the indycar AI in particular is. Seems so that it is weaker than others.
    Then you can do nothing about it, other than crank up the AI-strenght.

The tweaks in the Player.json are only a few numbers to change, but they don´t help in every case.
    They just make the AI more consistent, "raceable" and learn better.

One more who waits for the new Indycar it seems!

7. Michael Peters

So much for keeping my hands out of the modding :p

I've learned to build a rfmod package utilizing skins found here on the forums, along with custom .veh files, to make a new DW12_Teams.MAS file utilizing the proper team names, driver names, and liveries for almost all of the "fantasy" drivers in the official rF2 mod. Clearly, I will not be releasing this because I have not had more than a few email exchanges with the author of the liveries and I'm not 100% sure if what I have done is acceptable since the INDYCAR MAS files are encrypted.

It was trivial, however, to make educated guesses at the names of the .veh and .dds file names to derive a new DW12_teams.MAS and repackage a new rFmod including the scratch built MAS. A big thanks to https://bitbucket.org/coufal/rfactor2-vehicle-file-assistant for helping derive the .veh file syntax.

I've reached out to Tim Wheatley to attempt to determine ISI's stance on a vMod, if I were to invest my time in painting up a full set of 2014 "real" liveries/names/teams to replace the fantasy ones. ISI has been very good to me throughout the last 10 years (holy cow!) and the last thing I would want to do is ruffle feathers.

Just wanted to post that I might just be getting sucked back into this again :p I thought my modding days were over but the new systems in place are quite nice to work with.

Stay tuned, I suppose :)

8. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Great news. Thanks for the info.

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sounds great Michael, this is how we need Payware Historic packages done too Cars, tracks, setups, period weather, etc.

I don't see why not if ISI gets a slice.

10. Michael Peters

Nothing I do would be payware. I'd simply be providing liveries and drivers/teams/talent as a "virtual mod" that uses the ISI DW12 in its original form, so you would need that mod installed first.

No promises here, and I think someone may already be doing this and is almost done so I don't want to step on any toes.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why not, you have a problem people wanting to show their gratitude.

The expertise and time needed to create quality work these days is a lot of work.

If you don't someone else will.

Don't need the money or have principals, that is fine too. ;)

12. yusupov

yusupov Registered

was hoping this would be answered in thread as well. i have to assume so, but it seems tove been backburnered..i distinctly recall tim saying they'd since got info from their usual standard of 3 sources...or something like that...its really distinct...

13. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

I for one, would like to see that rfmod you propose Mr. Peters! Appreciated your Indy car mods on rf1 for sure!

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Depends on what you're looking for. If for some casual racing against AI, then you may have some fun.
    If you're serious about ovals, like I am, you're in for disappointment.

Tires still don't react properly to pressure settings, so you can't even setup a stagger on your car. So feeling is nowhere near what it's supposed to be on ovals.

15. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Hello Michael, Welcome back to the modding community!!

Any work from you would be welcome in my book!

I do also recall Tim stating that an update was coming, as they did get additional info from teams. Lots of things, like push to pass, was not implemented. I'm thinking they have their hands full with the Nascar package with all the rule additions that it comes with. I'm sure that we would see an Indycar update once that releases. I wouldn't mind waiting if they plan on modding the new body kits that are due this year 'wink wink' :)

16. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

View attachment 15412

Sorry couldn't resist. :p

Welcome back mate.

17. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

More oval stuff is in the works.

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Which means more stuff of no use to anyone who takes oval racing seriously

Everyone is talking about more content and oval rules. Implementing rules as plugin was actually my suggestion and I like it that it went that way.

But first things first - we need tire pressure simulation. Without it, I'm not even taking my DW12 for an outlap on IMS and that's a bit sad considering I love ovals.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I can't agree if anything I think the opposite the ovals are worse with Ai

What it is supposed to be like for me lies with future tech and software.

Stands to reason a decade from now there will be more realistic sims then we have now.

No matter, what it feels like now is still serious fun online man, many combos not excluding Dallara-Indy.

Joesville and new Clio is a riot.

Texas G6 or Lola at night is awesome.

Historic F1 and BT20 on Orchard is cool too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This thread is specifically about DW12, IMS and AI.
    Besides, I wasn't referring to AI vs human. I was only referring to taking oval racing seriously or just having some casual fun (which is what you're usually after when racing against AI).

You misunderstood. Tire model in rF2 is more advanced but still incomplete, even comparing to such old titles as NASCAR Racing (1994) and IndyCar Racing (1993) from Papyrus.

The biggest issue with oval racing in rF2 is, like I said, lack of tire pressure influence on car handling and this is something these simulations had.
    While this is something I can live without on road courses for now, it's unacceptable for ovals for anyone who takes them seriously. Ovals are very technical and setups ate much more important.

Like I said - this thread is specificly about Dallara, IMS and AI. We're not discussing overall quality of rF2. Discussion is about that combo in particular.

Let's not turn it into an unnecessary mixup. Someone asked about opinions on DW12 and IMS, so he got one from me.