EVGA GTX 970 SC problems/questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jers, Jan 2, 2015.

1. jers

jers Registered

Hey Guys.
    I just purchased a new IBuyPower computer, not even a month old. I7 5820K processor, 16 gb ram, EVGA GTX970 -4gb superclocked single card, Gigabyte gaming 5 motherboard. 906 rfactor build, windows 8.1 the problem I am having seems to happen most at lemans, I keep crashing to desktop. the warning I get is "display driver nviddmkm stopped working" sometimes followed by "application rfactor exe has blocked from accessing graphics hardware".
    I have Nvida involved. I have tried three different drivers. I also have IBuyPower involved. I am on my second graphics card. also have tried turning off webroot. turning up and down power settings, 3d settings. fresh install rfactor, fresh install rfactor to my D drive. fresh install Lemans. I have real temp gt installed and my temps for the graphic's card have never gone over 72C the rest of my temps are below 53C. in our loop, I have run longford, brizanna with no problems. out of 30 try's or more, I only completed one full cycle at lemans and that was Tuesday after I installed new card, other than that one time, I have never completed a full cycle with this computer.
    my rfactor setup is:
    1024X768 60hz full screen with only HDR clicked.
    the info there says:
    Intel (R) Core I7-5820k CPU @ 3.30 Ghz @ 3.30 16212MB
    windows 8 build 9200
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970 4084 mb
    Video Driver v9.18.0013.4709
    direct x 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
    I also have the delta best and trackmap 96 plugins in 64 bit (have tried without trackmap and still crashed)
    I have a Samsung 32" tv it is also new.
    my question is - any ideas on what to try next or do you know of problems with rfactor and this gtx 970 card or in what you see that I have listed above - any/and all help appreciated - thanks --- jer

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

hmmmm....... perhaps try installing something like MSI afterburner and 'underclock' the Graphics card for testing. Or perhaps check the Gfx card voltage... I have had to up the volts a little on a number of factory clocked Nvidia cards to get them stable.

2nd option has the potential to cause damage so be careful if you try it.

3. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Wait, Longford and Brianza runs without crashing, but Lemans do crash?

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Hi Jerry,

I would suggest running a memory test if you haven't yet, or your bios/motherboard diagnostics.
    Maybe a memory chip is defective?

Other than that, here's my settings for comparison:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50Ghz @ 3,50 Ghz 16324 MB
    Windows 8 Build 9200
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 4084 MB
    Video Driver v9.18.0013.4475
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

so virtually equivalent, except the card model and a slightly older nvidia driver.
    I have absolutely no problems running with 1920x1080 at 120 Hz refresh rate with everything maxed out.

Have you tried downgrading nvidia driver?

The version I have corresponds to 344.75.
    I haven't upgraded to the latest as I heard about crashes.

5. jers

jers Registered

thank you all for your ideas.. I will test them out this weekend and post here results.
    mean time, anyone else with any ideas.
    does anyone out there run rfactor with the GTX 970 superclocked?
    thanks again --- jer

6. jers

jers Registered

update:
    I did a test at lemans off-line and CTD within 6 minutes of practice. so, this is not specific to the internet or on-line. I also ran windows memory diagnostics tool and it says memory is ok.
    I then deleted everything I could find of Nvidia with "revo uninstaller pro - then installed the 3.4475 driver that cosimo has. I ran this driver before, but did NOT delete everything, I did it with roll back feature from Nvidia. I went off-line last night and had no issues. I know more testing is needed. I will keep you all updated of my tests this weekend in hopes that I solve it and if so - that someone down the road might benefit from this thread..

7. jers

jers Registered

no - older driver does not work either.. failed twice this morning..
    my brain is fried right now - company is coming so I am taking a break. but before I go.
    I had like 7 or 8 warnings on my event viewer. mostly the Nviddmka stopped and recovered. this happens over 4 to 6 seconds, the warnings started at 6.36.01
    I check all other events and found this event (not warning) under auditing at 6.36.00:
    c\windows\system32\services.exe - micorsoft windows security auditing.
    does anyone know what this is?
    later --- me

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Have you tried any other game and experienced the same CTD?

If no CTD in any other game then you can more safely rule out hardware being the issue and something being wrong with your rf2 install (or maybe even compatibility with your system).

Based on the fact that you've tried another card and the same result could suggest it's not hardware related. Quick and easy way to rule out that possibility, try another game.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  9. whiplash

whiplash Registered

What power supply are you using? Might be you're overloading your 12V-Line. Try running rf2 capped at 60 FPS (or higher, but a good bit under your minimum FPS) and test if your driver is still crashing. I had this same issue with my gtx 760, but it went away with some new driver, can't recall which it was.

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Could it be the Microsoft incorporated AntiVirus?

You can disable it for testing purpose in Config panel I guess, or add in the exclude dir list the directory where the NVidia file (Nviddmka) is located.

BTW and this as nothing to do with your problem: A recent TV 32" and a game resolution of 1024x768 (4/3)? With such machine you can raise the resolution a lot if your TV can handle it, and if this TV is recent, it's probably a 16/9eme one? Sorry, just some curiosity here ;)

11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Some good advise from all.
    Yes, try limiting the frame rate. I bet at that very low res of 1024x768 and with your very fast pc bet you getting like 400 frames per second :D. This way the card can keep cool and not need to work flat out the whole time. I know with my old video card and even a bit with my new one, I get coil-Whine with very high frame rates. My favourite way to limit frame rate is the line in your player.json file as there is less input lag using that instead of something like v-sync.
    If your tv is new, is it too late to swop it for a 1080p tv (1920x1080)?

my guess is he gets more frames with Lemans compared to the other two tracks.

DJC

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  12. jers

jers Registered

I have an 850 power supply. I do NOT have any other games to try. with the frame rates set down (just use to it from my old computer and having all the problems I thought it would help) I was getting between 200 and 400 plus. I took a suggestion and fresh installed rfactor with only minimal mods. taking your suggestions here, I set my screen res. to 1920 by 1080. then I set up a race at nords off-line with 20 AI cars and just let them race for 2 hours, I left my lola sitting on the side of the road til the last 10 minutes. frame rates were in the 200's. it never crashed. now, I will try on-line at nords and lester cause they are in our rotation and see if I get a crash. also, I have no plugins running.
    the test goes on.........
    thank you all for your help - I appreciate it!

13. jers

jers Registered

HOPEFULLY - this will be my last post on this subject..
    I have run the complete tests. I have my 2 plugins loaded and all "seems" fine..
    I think the two biggest helps were:
    1) start from scratch with bare minimal - and load one thing at a time (thanks Dave!)
    2) limit my frame rates thru rfactor's player.json file and set my resolutions up (thanks DJ!) - this one is key, if you bought a new computer and your frame rates are high and you are have problems crashing - LIMIT them this way! I set mine to 120

I hope this is the end of it - it is a lot more fun just thinking about racing - rather than my dall gurn puter!

thank you all for your help and support - hope this can help someone else down the road --- seeeeeeeeeeeeeee ya --- jer

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

By any chance, did you read this? It seems, there is a serious problem with the 970`s...

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/nvidias-gtx970-has-a-rather-serious-memory-allocation-bug/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

You should run at your native video resolution which I'm very sure is not 1024 x 768px.

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

17. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Well, isn't this just great. I've been struggling for the past few days trying to optimize flight sim software with my 760 OC 4gb card and couldn't figure out why problems developed when approaching 3.5gb usage (stutter, GPU spikes). It seemed like some swapping was going on when it shouldn't have been happening.

Just ran the test mentioned above and guess what? The 760 also exhibits the same behavior. I hope this is just a driver issue (currently 347.25).

18. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Carlo, if you have a onboard GPU try to enable and use it in order to run the application not letting Windows block some VRAM usage ("headless" testing).

This fixed my GTX 980 figures here. If you have some VRAM load before to start the test probably you'll have the slowing down behavior after 3.5 Gb because there's "invisible" VRAM charge by Windows Aero and other apps.

In addition, if your flight simulator was FSX so the stutters are definitely not GPU related.

19. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I have the Intel GPU disabled in the BIOS. The flight SIM is P3D, not FSX (which has all sorts of memory/rendering problems). P3D doesn't give me any OOM warnings, but I forgot that it's still 32-bit (duh).

Good thought - I hadn't considered Windows usage. Are you suggesting that I enable the Intel GPU and re-run the test?

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yep, if it doesn't take too much from you to be done. You need to switch the cable from offboard GPU to mainboard panel.

I did here and the +3.5 Gb VRAM slowing down didn't reproduce any longer. I've never run P3D, I'm stuck to FSX and yes, it always was tricky whatever GPU and CPU combination I had used.