Simple beginner question about making an updated mod

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by JohnW63, Dec 23, 2014.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

If this has been discussed and you can point me to the thread, that would be great.

Here is the question:

If I am trying my hand at editing an existing mod that contains tracks, vehicles, talent, and Sound files and the rest, but I just want to edit the vehicle MAS file to alter something, and I want to put it out to other guys to test, can I just create a new Package, select but NOT check all of the components but leave out the original vehicles and then add my new vehicle file and package it, will that get the job done ? Could I then install it on my PC as well as my server as a new mod and everyone can try it ? Of course, this assumes all the participants have all the referenced components and my new package. In the end, all I really am trying to do is hand out an experimental vehicle MAS file under an updated version name, and get people to give me feed back.

Thanks for your time, if you can point me in the right direction.

2. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Maybe I didn't phrase it well ? Lots of views, but no answer.

How about this, then... Can someone post a link to the car modding 101 thread ? I'm sure plenty of folks know the answer to my question, but haven't stumbled on my thread yet.

3. redapg

redapg Registered

I'm not sure if i understand you right but i would say if you repackage only the vehicle component with your changed MAS (and clearly all other content for the vehicles component) in it, it should work as long as you have the original mod installed.

Why don't you just try it out?

It would be interesting for others too, i guess. ;)

Merry Christmas

4. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

Just don't forget to level up that vehicle version (ex. was 1.5, name it 1.51) and tick "update from:"

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Wouldn't it be more senseful to give it a complete new name?

Prevents from things getting double i would say.
    What if 3 people have the same idea and all create a update-version with the same name and number?

6. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

you can to it that way too. About ideas... that why there's a readme column, to identify what is what :) i doubt that all 3 ppl will make a mod with exactly same rfcmp name and size:)

7. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I was able to make changes to the MAS file on MY computer and it seemed to work. It looked like I could swap the file at will. However, when I made the same change on our server you could no longer join it. I sent the MAS file to a few guys willing to test out the changes and not all could get it to work.

All I want to do is make a MAS file change and have people try it, and if it works better, put it on the server. If that means making a new VMOD, I'm fine with that. I just need to know WHY the server had trouble once I through it on there.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

It's not clear for me to understand what exactly you have done?

Did you make, as suggested, a new component of the vehicle which includes your changed MAS-file?

Or can you write what you exactly have done?

9. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

It's really simple. I edited the MAS file of an existing MOD and put it back in the the "installed" folder, the place I got it from. I felt there was an error in the tire files in the MAS and wanted to try some changes. Perhaps , down the road, as I learn more, I may try changes in the physics file of a mod. In either case, it's the same thing. Open MAS file. Extract file in question. Edit. Re-add fixed file to MAS and put it back in the folder it belongs in.

I have NOT made a new component, because that is EXACTLY what I am asking. " What do I need to do for this process to work ? " Is it a new component or a new VMOD or something else ?

10. Gupster

Gupster Registered

You have to repackage all of the mas files to a new mod otherwise there is a mismatch in the checksums.

edit* the beauty of this system, eliminates cheating by editing files in any given mod.

11. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, i thought that i did answer that before...
    Happy new Year to all. :)

12. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Thank you both.

When you say, Repackage, does that mean just a new component ( rfcmp file ) or a new vmod ( rfmod file ) ? I would like to send out the smallest file possible, since we all have the other components that make of the racing series. It just needs to reference all the previously installed content but use the new MAS file.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

You need both, a new rfcmp with your changed MAS (+plus the other car-related MAS-files,like they have been in the old car-comp) inside and to join the server also a new vmod, which point to your new component and the other needed components (talents, tracks, sounds (eventually)....).

14. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Got it. Thank you.