monitor or tv?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by No96, Dec 19, 2014.

1. No96

No96 Registered

I have a reasonable size monitor for work but I want a bigger screen for my sim seat setup but I am also restricted for space at 32" or 40" might fit.
    I have only just started investigating. I am sure I ran a TV from my computer hdmi before and it worked ok?

Is it a bad idea? If I get a reasonable HD TV 1080 will this do the job or will the cost be the same or more to get a comparable monitor?

I am trying to keep the cost down as I just spent a chunk of money on this setup in one hit. I am think £150 ish budget... I'd even buy second hand for now.

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Think you will have to look for a TV with as low inputlag as possible - but you will almost nowhere get that information for most TVs. I am just a Sunday driver an hooked my PC to an 46 Samsung TV - its ok for me but I am stuck at 60FPS and for real simracers the input lag is far to high for sure (I think).

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

TV will work fine from DVi or HDMi

I think any reasonable 1080 does a very reasonable job.

60Hz does not matter that much to me, I use 60 Hz and will race anyone on my day.

The thing for me is noticeable is the response time.

Cheaper 24/27 PC Monitor have `1/2 ms response time ......ergo no blurring.

4. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

What DD said.

I did not know monitors were even available in such a large size. I figured only TVs came that big.

The response time is the most import number to look at when buying. The lower, the better.

With a TV, you get the added bonus of having it be able to hook up to an antenna or cable so you can watch TV. With a monitor, you would need some kind of box to send a signal to the screen. Which is how most cable and sat. systems work these days anyhow.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Input lag is most important, not response time. Not to mention, advertised response times like "1ms" mean nothing. Need to look at reviews where they test the response tomes and ghosting/artifacts.

If input lag and pixel response times are your primary concern then get the BenQ XL2720Z.

6. No96

No96 Registered

many thanks - I have got all my kit now just about to download Rfactor2 now and test my wheel etc... I went for fanatec in the end. Hopefully race some of you guys on line when I work out how it all works :)

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Have a look there and there...

8. No96

No96 Registered

sorted thanks everyone :)

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

tatata...and the winner is? ;)

10. No96

No96 Registered

A 32" HD 1080 Samsung TV, it sits directly behind my steering wheel. (single seater car sim)
    It is as big as I could fit in the space I had available and works fine.

The main thing is, I can work from my desktop pc with the monitor and the Hdmi to the tv makes life easy.

I am pleased.

I run my audio, through a hi-fi with surround sound, speakers are behind my seat.. It's basic but works.

11. Remik

Remik Registered

I use my TV as monitor 7 years now :D Toshiba Regza 57Z3030D HDTV ... games looks awesome !!! and now with DSR even better :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015