Launcher Crash When Closing Mod Manager

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jonathon LeFaive, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Jonathon LeFaive

Jonathon LeFaive Registered

2. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Jon - think this goes here - after installing Halford Xmas Kart( new content) via Mod Manager , last night - Windows 7 throws up this "Launch rFactor.exe has stopped working". Auto Update worked well and new Ui works well. No other issues so far.
    I just read this and wonder if the new update is messing with Build 906 -http://thefusejoplin.com/2014/12/windows-7-update-brings-problems-solutions/

3. Jonathon LeFaive

Marc is there anyway you can PM me a link to download .rfmod and/or the .mft for that mod?

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sadly, it's a commercial mod, not freeware, so no public link. Since more than one person is having an issue, I am sure the authors wouldn't mind you contacting them. You can PM them here or, probably not as good, contact them through their website: http://www.unitedracingdesign.net/#!contact/cqq1

The "official" thread is here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11327-T5-series-by-UnitedRacingDesign-DISCOUNTS-up-to-35-NOW!

Should I try removing it from my Packages folder a la the problems we used to have ages ago with certain mods being present in the folder causing crashes?

5. Jonathon LeFaive

Yeah, it would certainly be helpful to know if removing a specific package solves the problem(s).

6. Jonathon LeFaive

The current notion is that this is being caused by specific content that is either installed or in your packages directory.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This just gets more bizarre.

I removed URD T5 file (it's half a GB!) from my Packages folder and it had no effect. Remember it is still installed and working (even though Mod Manager earlier had acted as if it uninstalled it), so no real surprise. Mod Manager still not allowing sort by Installed, etc.

Then I notice that the Packages Directory down at the bottom right is set to C:\rFactor2\Bin64\Packages, which of course doesn't exist and obviously I did not nor could I have ever selected it even inadvertently. There is also an entry for C:\rFactor2\Packages\Packages...which also doesn't exist.

So I reset it to the correct C:\rFactor2\Packages and voila, my Mod Manager is working again. And not crashing on exit.

While the incorrect Packages Directory folder was listed, all the (installed) mods still showed in the listing. When a "wrong" folder is chosen from the Launcher Data Path dialog, the Mod Manager is empty (as it should be).

T5 mod showed-up as not installed, so I installed it.

So now I have a functional Mod Manager again (how, I have no idea). I'll let you know if the T5 mod misbehaves, but please give me a scenario that might break it. I wouldn't have even noticed it broken for the second time had I not been poking around due to this other issue. I don't use it every day.

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

..and now, a few hours later, doing nothing in between, it's back to original behaviour. Crash on exit, but otherwise working normally.

It's like my rF2 is possessed.

9. Jonathon LeFaive

Well, I'm glad it's working now. Unfortunately though, the only way to track down what is causing the crash or corrupting the content is to evaluate one of these corrupt installs.

Update: Just saw your last post. PM me the contents of the .mft file or files that reside under the T5 mod's directory (somewhere under the installed directory).

10. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Marc,

Do you have your core and data in the same folder installed?

I had issues in build 880 when i had the core installed on the C:/program.../rFactor2
    And data (packages, installed content and userdata) in another disk to save space. It worked flawless until B880.
    The working dir went to ..../Bin64/packages !!! I needed to correct it everytime...

I did a fresh install everything in D:/rFactor2

I've problems with that since.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2014
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have always used C:\rFactor2 for all since Day 1. Right beside my C:\rFactor folder that has been there since 2000-and-something ;)

I had to correct the location of mine, but only after mucking around with stuff. Since I reset it has stuck.

12. spizone

spizone Registered

any info on this matter ?, same problem as marcC, when i uninstall URD T5 mod, launcher is fine, soon as i install problem back......

Merry Xmas and Happy NY to all, have a great one.......;)

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Oh, I didn't know that uninstalling T5 mod fixed the problem! I only know it was corrupted after update and seemed to have further issues. Are you using the 1.81 skin pack? Or just pure 1.8 URD mod?

14. spizone

spizone Registered

URD_T5.rfcmp <---- i removed this file, but now i see i still have this loaded - sr-rf_dtm_2012_-_2013_v1.81.rfcmp, which i think is the skins
    like this it all works great, so maby it was just a conflict of sorts, im guessing ?

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It seems that URD T5 is being nominated as cause for this crash, but I don't have the T5 installed yet in build 906. Still it crashes after closing Mod Manager.

I've gone a little crazy installing quite a few tracks and cars, so I think it is something else. I've only had the crashing the last few days. Sounds to me like I should un-install all non-ISI stuff and start over. It's a PITA but seems the only way to verify.

** Fresh clean install, even deleted packages folder this time (I never delete this) all ISI content installed. No launcher crash when closing Mod Manager. Now the fun begins with adding 3rd party content one by one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2014
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Interesting. ISI will be interested to know what items crash it.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I seen to remember certain track causing the sim to crash quite severely, maybe its a shot in the dark. If I am not mistaken it was Infinion Raceway, so if you have installed that, try removing it.

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Fresh install with all ISI content, only 5 or 6 3rd party tracks and a handful of 3rd party cars so far (no T5 yet). So far all is fine, but either I get called in on another project or I'm driving, so no other new stuff installed yet. (no Infinion installed, don't think I even have that track.)

Later

19. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I've the T5, URD and Infinion track. + 9Gb on other content installed. No problems. ;)

20. pkelly

pkelly Registered

I'm still crashing out too. Just installed URD mod. Same crash. Was hoping it might fix the crashing ;-) Next build should reverse this anomaly.