ALT+TAB Solution

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Rayo_McQueen, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

OK,

I think I finally found the problem for materials with problems with frames 0,1,2.
    For AM's 854 GT3, it was "Alpha Sort Offset" property being set to 0 for "854_BRAKE" material which was causing the ATI.
    I understand I will find similar problems in the rest of the items with similar problems.

It should be noted that the term "Alpha Sort Offset" is taken from 3dsimed. I understand that gJED, ... have similar terminology.
    In the explanatory legend in 3dsimed, it says this value should be set 0-4 for tracks and 5-8 for cars.
    I changed this value to 7 as it is in the equivalent material within "ATI free" AM's 799 GT3 and it would work fine.
    However, the brake lights won't work. In the original "bugged"·version they do with Alpha Sort Offset set to 0.
    I have no idea about what actually "Alpha Sort Offset" does.

I have already contacted thae authors of these mods to comment about the issue pointing at this thread. I understand the authors will be able to the brake light using appropriate alpha Sort Offset values. I hope they give some feedback about it.

So finally as a summary.
    From a modding point of view it should be checked:
    - Not to use texture files with periods within the file name (others to the extension one)
    - Beware with Alpha Sort Offset values.

To be continued... :)

Added: I forgot to say, as well, that I have detected that recently released Enduracers mod also presents the ATI for some of its cars. I need to isolate the ones giving the ATI problem and check if the reason is one of the above. For the moment I will also point the issue at the respective thread so that the authors are aware.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2016
    ericRacer likes this.
  2. gpfan

gpfan Registered

Hi Euskotracks, i was able to solve the ATI problem on my mod (GT3 WS) on Bentley by separating textures from this 2 materials that was sharing the same textures: BRAKELIGHT_BENTLEY_GT3 and HEADLIGHT_BENTLEY_GT3. They can´t handle 2 materials sharing the same textures!

Example:

Before i had BRAKELIGHT_BENTLEY_GT3 and HEADLIGHT_BENTLEY_GT3 with:

BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW00.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW01.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW02.DDS

Now i have material BRAKELIGHT_BENTLEY_GT3 with:

BENTLEYGT3_BLIGHTS_GLOW.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_BLIGHTS_GLOW00.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_BLIGHTS_GLOW01.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_BLIGHTS_GLOW02.DDS

and,

HEADLIGHT_BENTLEY_GT3 with:

BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW00.DDS
    BENTLEYGT3_LIGHTS_GLOW01.DDS

So i suppose they dont handle same animation textures for both, you need to separate set of textures to prevent ATI!!

Ferrai 488 is also fixed by taking out the .PTC like you said.

Thanks for your help solving this!!!!

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thanks to you as well for taking care about it. Very much appreciated.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Nice findings Eusko!

I have always thought there is something wrong on my end because alt-tabing would sometimes stuck to desktop. Yesterday I was trying out the Enduracers mod and since I'm using DD wheel I need to often alt-tab to manualy change steering rotation in MMoS Tool (vehicle set option not working). With first few cars I could alt-tab fine, but as I've switched to LMP car, on the next alt-tab I was stuck on desktop. I just closed the game in task manager as I usually do when that happens and started again.

But now when I read your posts, it all does make sense. With some cars it worked fine and then suddenly on another car it caused trouble.

5. javirulo007

javirulo007 Registered

Eusko, can you explain it to me in a private message (in spanish)?
    I have two installations with a mod and a the same mod modified. One of them crash, the other not. A new mistery?

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi Javi,

It would be much easier if I could explain it to you via TeamSpeak. It would take quite some time to write all that up.

PM me to set a time. I'll give you the connection details there.

Besides, I have to provide an update soon when I have several things more clear. Basically the issue is that other vehicles in AM's GT3 don't have the Alpha Sort Offset set to 0 and still fail.
    In the MP4 I have verified that simply changing the dds files does fix the issue.

It is extremely strange that all affected materials have in common the 0,1,2 frame sequence being in all cases the brake light materials and that the fix is different for each. I must be missing something...

Changing frame sequence to 0,1 solves the crash in all cases although brake lights don't work. That seems to point at the last texture of the sequence. Considering that pointing at the 4 dds files of a working material solved the issue for the MP4 I need to understand what is wrong with the original MP4 dds files.

I have also been testing more cars of the most popular mods.
    In enduracers mod only Corvette fails.
    No ATIs in BTCC NGTC.
    No ATIs in any vehicle from ISI.
    Among official 3PA, only Palatov triggers the ATI.
    I haven't had time to search for the cause in the Corvette and the Palatov.

I can confirm the multiplayer ATI using ATI free content. For whatever reason I cannot trigger it alone in the server and when others are in it is quite probable. I had two ATIs before yesterday's race when training in the server.

I haven't made any tests to see if tracks are likely to provoke an ATI. Too much job to do before opening new variables.

Thats all for the moment.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I just want to report, trying to help to find the solution.

Tonight i had a alt-tab crash again twice.
    Car Apex 854 track isi portugal i couldn't alt-tab myself back in.
    After giving the 854 a run i wanted to try the Apex 799 and had to alt-tab again to set the degrees of my wheel
    Again i couldn't alt-tab back to the game again but now i got a message : ERROR creating vertex shader. And after that gmotor stopped working.

hope this helps

8. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

OK,

Things regarding animated materials seem to be more clear now.
    There seems to be an internal issue regarding gmotor not liking some file names for animated texture files.
    Several of the crashes have been fixed simply by changing the name of the texture files and reassigning it.

It is the only explanation I can give to explain all the following facts:

- All ATIs seen to be avoided by eliminating the latest frame in the sequence.
    - I fixed AM's 854 ATI by renaming 854GT3_light.dds, 854GT3_light00.dds,... to 854_light.dds, 854_light00.dds, ... No need to change alpha Sort. Brakes wouldn't work ¿?
    - I broke an ATI-free update I had created for 854 which was using 799 materials and textures by renaming the 799 texture files with 854 texture file names and assigning them to the material that worked fine with different file names.
    - I fixed AM's MP4 ATI by renaming mclGT3_lights.dds, mclGT3_lights00.dds,... to mcl_lights.dds, mcl_lights00.dds, ... Brakes would work
    - I fixed AM's Z4 ATI by renaming z4GT3_lights.dds, z4GT3_lights00.dds,... to z4_lights.dds, z4_lights00.dds, ... Brakes would work
    - I fixed AM's SLS ATI by renaming SLS_TLIGHT.dds, SLS_TLIGHT00.dds,... to SLS_lights.dds, SLS_lights00.dds, ... Brakes would work
    - I fixed Enduracers ES Corvette by eliminating the lastest frame in material C6R_ZR1_BACKFIRE2. I dint't try renaming textures.

In all cases the name of the texture for the problematic last frame is correct in terms of format.
    Apparently long names were more problematic considering Appex Modding Cases for brake lights but Enduracers Corvette breaks this rule.
    It appears random if the name of a texture library will cause the ATI or not. I will do some tests with Corvette's backfire to see if changing the name fixes the issue without having to remove the last frame.

I would appreciate if Studio397 could provide some feedback regarding this: Does this make any sense to the devs? The fact is that ATIs are repetitive so there must be a primary reason which explains why some "texture files - frame" combinations are not accepted as texture material name.

Apparently, rF2 is happy with mclgt3_lights00, mclgt3_lights01 (using frames 0,1 does not trigger the ATI)
    However, rF2 is not happy with mclgt3_lights02 (triggers the ATI)

By the way here is the list of the cars tested so far:
    View attachment 21016
    Here is the zip file with the updates for AM's 854, MP4, SLS and Z$. The update id for old version 0.935!!!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifn7kas8zk39gz1/AM_FIAGT3_ATI_fix.zip?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2016
  9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Yesterday I made some tests with the latest items presenting the ATI.

- Enduracers Corvette problem was due to the backfire. Once again the problem was in one of its two animated materials CSR_ZR1_BACKFIRE2. In this case it was frame16 provoking the issue. Both materials were using the same texture urd_sbfa.dds with different frames. The combination of the texture library name with frame16 causes the ATI. Once again, changing texture name for all the files in the animation and reassigning them to the material solved the ATI. Also removing frame 16 would avoid the ATI (useful to understand which frame and name combo is the one that provokes the ATI).

- 3PA Palatov D4: Here I did not completely isolate the issue. I only could isolate the line in the GEN file. That line didn't call an specific gmt. It referred to <DASHA> which I don't know what it is.

Selecting that object in 3dsimed wouldn't show anything in it. No materials in it either. I can only say that erasing that line within the cockpit lines avoids the ATI.

If someone knows what does this <DASHA> mean and wants to comment on how to find the related gmt I would check if once again the ATI is caused by an animated material disliking the texture name for one of its frames.

For now I think that the vehicle related ATIs are quite clear. We can affirm that there seems to be an internal problem within the graphics engine disliking several texture file names. In all cases so far, it has been with dds files (no problems with tga files so far). From a technical point of view, the problem is not in the vehicle component, despite for the moment it is the only known workaround.
    So I guess the ball is now in Studio397 to check why this file names are provoking a failure when regaining focus. When the game is started these file names are working OK. Certainly weird. We wait for them to comment about this.

For the multiplayer ATI, which is much harder to trace, I will keep on trying to understand it. However, I am not very optimistic that I will find anything more relevant than the fact that it fails when single player does not. Maybe the only additional clue is that other people being in the server seems to be necessary to trigver the ATI. I will try to confirm this considering the difficulty of not crashing 100% of the times.

After that I can just pray for a solution

Ernie likes this.
  10. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Something with < .... > in the .gen file refers to the upgrade.ini.
    In the upgrade.ini there should be something like <DASHA> = xxxA.gmt and <DASHA> = xxxB.gmt depending on the upgrade you choose.

Euskotracks likes this.
  11. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Thank you sir ;)
    We will have the answer for the ATI in a while then.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

By the way, I forgot to mention one more test I will perform. I will try to use the specific frame-texture file that seems to be triggering the ATI in a regular static material to see if it triggers the ATI. If it does I will also check to include in a track.
    The idea is to check if the naming is a general problem or if it only affects animated materials.

13. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Again, an animated texture was the problem of the Palatov. The problem was in the animated material using d4_powswitch.tga texture within motec2015.gmt object using frames 0,1. Renaming the three files as d4_switch.tga... and reassigning those to the affected material fixed the ATI.

For the other test, assigning an ATI provoking texture to an static object does not seem to trigger the ATI. However, I will repeat the test to try to understand what is wrong with the frame-texture combo to cause the ATI.

Edit: the problem doesn't seem to be in an specific file of the frame sequence. Basically is a library name vs frame sequence combination. Changing the frame sequence usually fixes the issue.
    As an example, in Corvettes backfire, frame 16 seemed to be problematic since removing it from the sequence fixed the issue and it was not present in a working material sharing library that didn't trigger the ATI.
    However, I tried only removing frame 15 from the sequency and it also fixed the ATI. Hence, it is a specific frame sequence combined with a texture file name that triggers the issue. The other material sharing library didn't crash not because not having 16 but because having a different frame sequence.

The question is WHY SOME SPECIFIC ANIMATED TEXTURE LIBRARY NAME VS FRAME SEQUENCE COMBOS TRIGGER THE ATI?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Ernie likes this.
  14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

In order to bump up the thread I include several links to similar issues in another game. In some of them they even talk about a possible workaround that I haven't tried in rF2.

In the latest one it is talked about a recent patch of the game which supposedly fixes the issue. I haven't found feedback about its effectiveness yet. Apparently, it is stated in several threads that the issue is the way the coding is done. This would confirm that at least in some cases it is the case.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672137536854877/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672137537491449/

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-...dresses-performance-issues-fixes-alt-tab-bug/

Ernie likes this.
  15. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Bumping up this thread since Build1108 didn't fix the issue.
    Hopefully DX11 recoding might solve the issue accidentally.

16. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Like @Christopher Elliott I am following this thread. It is not an easy issue at all and I appreciate the effort that everybody participating in this discussion is putting into it. As a starting point it would be good if some others could test the findings that @Euskotracks made, or report different cases where alt-tab does or does not work. Arguments to simply not use it have already been made, so please refrain from repeating those. Same goes for arguments about other games. Yes, those underline that it's a hard problem to solve and we know that. I'm not saying we will be able to fix it, but given enough attention and testing, we might find a solution together.

ericRacer, TJones, Ernie and 2 others like this.
  17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yep i have the same issue. Alt+tab means i cant get back to the sim and have to ctrl+alt+del and kill it. So far it has been with all combos for me. Good to see people working on it. Just adding my experience with it.

18. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi Marcel,
    I wonder which was the result when you tried forcing the ATI as I explained. The fact of requesting others to confirm if they can reproduce it, makes me doubt. I would expect the ATI to occur in any PC running fullscreen mode. Should I conclude that you couldn't force the ATI systematically in the different PCs on which it was tried?

I would also like to add that getting rid of problematic content is a dramatic improvement in the number of ATIs. In the last championship we used a modified version of Simteks GT3 mod with all the fixes I posted in previous posts. In actual championship we are running ATI free content (Enduracers BMW M3).

In this circunstances I am only getting very seldom the online related ATI. This typically occurs when I try to either return from remote desktop (race admin server related tasks) or from Motec (telemetry analysis while practicing). But I repeat, this occurs maybe once a week.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Don't want to de-rail the thread so please forgive me but this is internet gold. haha.

[​IMG]

Alex72 and MarcG like this.
  20. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

The reason why both threads are next to the other is because I pointed to the oldest one in the today's opened one and afterwards bumped the old one up with some questions and facts.