[WIP] CART Factor

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by zerocool, Dec 13, 2014.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

The only way I could help just now is to take HQ screens for you, but I`m away from my sim rig till after Christmas. I`d also need the mod :p

I`m sure there will be someone in your team that can do the screens though anyway. If not, let me know.

Looking forward to it. :)

2. zerocool

zerocool Registered

This is what my game looks like with Full details:
    - And lets keep in mind this is an RF1 conversion so we may not get it to the level of a scratch RF2 mod. We are going to do our VERY best though!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the tires:
    [​IMG]

Your RF1 custom liveries will work in RF2 :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Thank you for the maxed out shot :). The reflections are not as bad as I first thought, then! Though the wheels somewhat stick out from lacking "depth" and being too bright. But it is still worth checking again, don't want these cars looking washed out!

What kind of help is needed? I can do some texturing but it just looks like you need to take the mapping and double the resolution... and I know Dave had to create a bunch of the logos and other bits (like the Eagle nose) you see there, it'd be a lot of pen tool work on Photoshop to keep things sharp and without pixelation bleeding through the colors. Unfortunately for me my mother and sister arrive on Thursday morning and I believe the release window for this wouldn't allow me to do any work beyond possible testing of the driving and tires, and maybe pick out if sounds are ok or need additional samples (I have it in my rF installation here too).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  4. tjc

tjc Registered

@ zerocool

:cool:

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Absolutely, I still have a video of Gil de Ferran breaking the closed course speed record of 241.428 mph.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Many thanks folks ! Looking forward to drive the mod after the convertion is finished.

PS: @communitiy Pay2021 know what he is doing :D. So don't be afraid I'm sure we will get the best possible solution for the models and textures.

Keep up the good work guys !

7. ori atana

ori atana Registered

Here you go, this is where we will document what is going on: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bpqv-RHweJCvlp3ZJ4LXEsyyiC1JwFNIaIJqUPPd9qE/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone can view and comment on the doc.

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Hi ori when I went to the google docs sheet briefly I saw the download link to the rfcmp. I take it that was a mistake and shouldn't be shared yet ?

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I saw it and was going to download when home, to see what I could help with.

10. zerocool

zerocool Registered

Sorry about that everyone, Ori got a little excited and posted the link too soon. :) Members on our team specifically requested not to share the link at this time so I apologize for the miscommunication. We have a laundry list of things noted on the google document that need fixed before we release this to the public. So please refer to the document and let us know if any of you modders out there you can assist with anything. Please feel free to PM me directly or add notes to the sheet if you can help. Once we get through the obvious problems and missing items in the mod we will have a test release so we can work on the problems beyond what we have already identified.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

"Damage : the nose cone is attached to the wing, IMO you should detach it and let only the nose cone go in big crashes - IIRC the Marussia has a nice wing damage system."

That was because of what rF could handle, the guys had to compromise. There must be quite a few areas of opportunity to develop the visible crash damage and broken parts.

"Proper templates needed (RF1 templates work but they never were proper ones)"

I didn't know any official templates were released, the intent was to avoid people from making terrible fantasy skins haha. Maybe the template available is something someone extracted from the game and therefore it's severely limited. With the permission couldn't they be approached for the source template, if Nick kept it?

12. ori atana

ori atana Registered

That'ts right, no official templates were released. I don't know who made the templates we have. They are frustrating to say the least and don't deserve to be called templates.

13. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Looks Great allready.
    I' m also struggeling with chassis suspension files and some hdv parameters.
    Error Ladung mesh ... mostly inicates missing textures f.e. or gmt files.

May be i find time on weekend.

Good luck

Leonardo :D

14. dradecki

dradecki Registered

If you need any help, I learned alot from working on the Indycar '95 mod.

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It probably was an extracted .dds converted to .psd then. If Nick and/or Dave gave permission, ask if they have the original .psd that was used to paint the cars, it's your best bet otherwise no fiddling will be done on the layers. Best you can do is copy the one background layer, and the new one be set to ~50% opacity and its parameter from Normal to Multiply (I think).

16. sixdegrees

sixdegrees Registered

I still have all the old sources files of course, but templates are a little tricky - the Swift and Reynard source files are rubbish, they were created way back when before I'd discovered proper lighting and shading techniques. Really they need to be redone, but then the mapping would have to be redone to suit a proper AO bake, and then you're throwing far too much texture work away (though, at this point, that doesn't matter so much). This is the real reason that no templates were released back in the day. The Lola and Penske stuff is ok though.

You've gotta remember that most of this stuff was done in 2006/2007, with some updates through 2008 and then the Lola and Penske were added and finished in 2009 which is when the mod was finally released. It represents a whole lot of learning over the course of several years! I'd love to remodel and retexture everything and do a pukka "sequel" to CART Factor but the free time I have these days is in the negative so that's unlikely unfortunately :p

I think I uploaded all the source files at one point (though the dev folder was a horrible, horrible mess). dradecki may have it, and he'd certainly be a good guy to have onboard.

- Nick

17. ORLYSID

ORLYSID Registered

You seem to know a lot Guimengo, were you part of the development team? It's funny that this has come up so recently because I love how great rF2 really is and CART Factor was a great part of rF1, it's really interesting to get the inside detail from such a quality mod. These Nick and Dave guys must be really special people!

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

He lives!

Haha, no no, just online buddies/punching bag to the likes of Saint Nick posting above you! I only started caring for more texture work after then, and Dave was far more versed to need help :p.

19. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

OT, but more chances to have a positive answer here :)
    Do you guys happen to have rFm / plr values to handle correctly the safety car for a rF1 online CART championship ? Thanks in advance.

edit : got what I was looking for, thanks !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  20. Michael Peters

Michael Peters Registered

I can make templates if you guys need help.

I assume you have the models in MAX right? All we need is a wireframe and a texture bake which I can make with vRay