Problem opening a tire file in ttool.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JohnW63, Dec 11, 2014.

1. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

I have read the tire moding quick start guide and wanted to look at a tire from a mod we have used. I created a ptool folder in the rfactor 2 folder. I copied the file in that folder. When I run ttool and tell it to open a file of the name of the one I copied, it gives an error and says it can not open the file.

What am I doing wrong here ?

2. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Figured it out. The ptool folder is NOT to be created in the user's folder under rFactor 2. It is in the Program Files folder copy of rFactor 2.

The file loaded but there was just a new section of the window with some purple blocks arranged in a pattern, not a nice wire frame of a tire. The tests ran but a lot of it was zeros. The default tire wire frame was still in the center of the window.

Am I still missing something ?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I would recommend following the tutorial available from the developer corner section on the site, word for word, with the example tyre file, so you have some idea of what you're doing. That way if something is lacking in the file you want to look at you'll at least have some idea where it might be.

4. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Lazza,

I was hoping to edit the tire files of a mod we are already using, where I think they have issues, rather than re-invent the wheel. ( OK. Pun intended. ) After reading the document, I expected to see wire frames, not purple blocks, which is the reason for my followup question. Even the Clio tires look like this and each as LOTS of nodes, so I expected more detail.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you running the ttool or the ptool?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Plus, the whole point of following the tutorial exactly is that you rule out doing anything completely wrong, because when you open up their tyre and it's sitting there in all its glory you now know you can get the same result using your own tyre. If you don't you've at least ruled out the process, so then can work out whether it's something in the file itself...

7. sugarfoot

sugarfoot Registered

Well if you read the document you should have seen this line:

To help visualize the tyre, on the left side under the [Quasi Static Model] section, select "Display 3D".

Do this and you will see the tyre as a wire frame.

8. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Lazza,

I'm running ttool, as that is what the tutorial mentioned. I did wonder why the folder should be called ptool.

My first goal is to watch simulations on the known tire to see how changes I might make in the tire file change how it performs. The first goal is to run some temp tests to see if I can get a different tire temp spread. The one we have used seems to have a very noticeable center peak no matter what tire pressure you run them at , on the track. I figured over inflated tires would do that , but under inflated tires would have the opposite temp graph. What is the best way to watch this ?

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Don't waste your time trying to work out the temps with the current tyre model, ISI are aware that it's troublesome and working on updating it.

10. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

Are you saying this is an ISI issue and not a poor tire model by a moder ?

11. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I'm saying that the current tyre model does not properly emulate tyre temps and contact patch, yes.

12. JohnW63

JohnW63 Registered

So, all mods have a very high center tire temp, with respect to the edges ?

If that is so, I may just reduce the tire wear figures a little to make it less of a penalty.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, same in ISI mods. Waiting on improvements and then all tyres will need to be rebuilt/reprocessed to make use of it.