Please vote for rFactor (1) on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 9, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Your understanding is flawed. He asked about whether we would require Steam ONLY. You're talking about how Steam works, which has nothing to do with the example I gave - or the question asked. EVE Online uses it's own account system and Steam is NOT required after initial install and account creation. Need another example? Install GTA4 via Steam, then exit Steam. Open the Social Club application in the GTA4 directory and you can run GTA 4 from that - bypassing Steam entirely. You're wrong.

The answer to #1 *is* unknown, but IMHO it would be counter-productive and ultimately lose revenue and customers to use Steam alone. However, at this stage, there's no answer, which is why I said so. You're wrong on every level of understanding and acceptance with your post. If someone doesn't have an answer for a question, they don't have an answer for a question, regardless of your own assumptions.

2. Paul Todd

Paul Todd Registered

I voted yes.

RF1 has so much content and it's still better than some of the new titles for hosting leagues.

It sounds silly but I would not care if we had to pay for it again

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

lol Im trying to find where to vote with no success for the same reason :rolleyes:

4. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Wow brother, you beat me down with the dumb stick pretty harshly. (Probably deserved from how we started out which if I didn't apologize then I'm apologizing now.) Although I'd prefer a link to what you claim as I provided in my explanation but I'll default to what you say because you use it. I will state that this is part of the problem I guess with Steam for us that don't want to install it. This is the first time I have come across someone providing an example of running a game with Steam client not running. If that is possible for rFactor then that removes any concern I had. Appreciate the explanation nonetheless. Cheers.

5. 88mphTim

You need a Steam account. If you never intend to use Steam and don't have a login, you won't be able to vote at all. That's OK. :)

6. 88mphTim

I'm not saying what will or won't be possible - we don't know. But I know what works with existing games I use there, and that countered what you were saying. :)

Apologies if harsh, just asserting the point. His question didn't relate. :)

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I would vote YES for same reason Max would :)
    Personally I dont need another button on my desktop, I dont need anymore games, RF2 is more than enough.

What Im curious of though is, wouldnt throwing these kind of games (sims) to the masses create chaos at servers and forums?
    Im sure I will be called elitistic, but both RF1 and RF2 are games that demand dedication, you cant just jump in and put pedal to the metal.
    We will see, as it looks eventually RF2 will go this way too.

8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Can confirm, I was playing the DayZ mod without steam running at all. Of course needed it to install Arma2:CO but that was it.

The only concern I would have had is that Steam often goes down briefly(not even talking about maintenance) and sometimes disconnects everyone from their current game, not always. Happened a couple of times in Wreckfest over the last month, but as long as you don't need Steam to run rFactor then it's a non-issue I hope, though it would be terrible for people in the middle of a race, league or not if this were to happen to people running it through Steam, it's the one thing I really don't like about Steam that I've only experienced lately.

Voted Yes, will buy it. I actually have a copy of rFactor from when I bought my G25, only had a CD on its own and didn't even know what it was until I came here to buy rF2, it wouldn't even work in my drive, maybe someone nicked the license from my box before I got it :confused:

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I saw an article on RD just as VR, about supporting rF to be greenlit on Steam. I was quite shocked to see some of the posts, I understand some people's points of view but it doesn't mean they were "right" or appropriate. It looked like the initial page 1 posting was overly emotional venting, my post got a couple of agreements and I haven't seen more senseless stuff.

Hopefully the Greenlight voting is going well. I wonder if ISI is kept abreast (hehe) of the required goal?

10. Gupster

Gupster Registered

I re-posted Tim's OP over at NAGP and it has quite a few views so hopefully ISI gets some upvotes from this, I personally don't have steam installed but I know of at least 3 upvotes from my posting there so I don't feel guilty for not voting :p

11. Hybridesque

Hybridesque Registered

Well, I just bought rFactor1 to join my copy of rFactor2... Just been having a riot with Endurance Series around Mid-Ohio race circuit... Can't wait for it to turn up on rFactor 2 mind you. At least you're getting the money without Steam taking a cut :D

12. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Also voted. Took me 5 s and might mean more than that so why not :)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It was just a demo/trial. I got a G25 after getting rF and when I saw the CD I thought hmm... maybe I can gift that to someone and get them into rFactor... but no :rolleyes:

14. philman

philman Registered

I do not like steam but I voted for rf1 because I think that it is a good thing for ISI

15. rer8

rer8 Registered

Ok. I voted for rfactor on steam. I then downloaded the latest rfactor, dug out a stack of cd's/dvd's with rF1 files. put about 50 tracks and six or seven cars in the appropriate folders, woke up realfeel, and every thing is fine, EXCEPT: I cannot remember how to make my G27 FFB work properly. It is currently reversed... I tried the slider, and several different methods suggested on the web but nothing works. Some help would be nice... ( I do have rF2 which is my mainstay, but rF1 brings back fond memories). I can't be the only one who has forgotten the "trick" to making this thing work.
    Regards :)

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I seem to remember negative ffb values did wonders for me... On some mods.
    On other mods the value needs to be positive.

17. BlkJello

BlkJello Registered

Gladly voted yes.:)

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You should think about a 500GB green/blue sata, they are hardly dearer then better quality DVD-R.

More reliable over time, faster transfer , Most PC today do " hot-swap"

Cant understand people spending more money on a SSD to save 10 seconds booting a track but use DVDs 5-10 times slower then a standard sata to burn and copy.......... just to save a few dollars. :confused:

19. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Hmm, not a Steam hater but I do remember days of misery with with a certain SimBin title that the league I was starting up was trying to run, we gave up on it after the second Steam feck up. Moved back to rF1...but...Sure I'll vote for it, if ISI think it's worth a go then I ain't going to argue the toss. As someone said, we can just suck it and see. It is an old title, and I can't see it producing too many new people, but who knows, there may be a host of prospective sim racers out there...Only one way to find out.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'n the controller settings in game, you can either slide the FFB strength from -100 to 100, or there's a "reverse" box to check, I believe it's the former (I think the pre-rF1 engined sims, like GT. Legends, have the latter).