Please vote for rFactor (1) on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Falcon

Falcon Registered

Well it is only rFactor 1 so why not. But for rFactor 2 there better be a non steam version.

2. Maug

Maug Registered

As long as i can run the game without having to run steam or have it linked to a steam account i'm fine with it.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It doesn't appear that you know how Steam works. If you want to mod a game, simply switch off the auto updating of it's files. Local changes are then not affected.

Mod specific installs, sure, though Steam does have mod support of it's own. There's far more to understand about this process, but what you're saying isn't seemingly correct, even of basic Steam usage.

Can you please explain how the existing rF1 community will be split? They already own rF1, can already do multiple installs, etc. Where is the split? Is it the people who don't own rF1 and would find it on Steam for the first time? How is that a split? It's called an addition, not a division.

4. 88mphTim

The obvious solution there would be not to use it then.

5. 88mphTim

Nobody (except the VirtualR news title which makes it sound like it) has said that even rF1 would be Steam only, so I am not sure why discussion would be heading that way about rF2 as well. :)

6. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I know it very well! The reason why I know its a bad idea for rF1. ISI wants it so you and others will justify it for any reason. Is what it is. Bad idea all around. Hopefully not enough people fall for the BS.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

7. 88mphTim

How? Why? In what way will those of you not using it have something 'bad' happen? So far you haven't said anything that applies to any body. You can certainly see responses as justifying if you wish, but so far everything I have responded to is still an unknown or in most cases, not applicable considering that nobody has mentioned Steam-only at this stage. Frankly you just appear to be negative for the sake of it. So I am genuinely seeking guidance, how will the community who own rF1 right now, and don't use steam, don't want to use steam, be affected by rF1 being made available to people who do use it, who may have never owned rF1 at all? I genuinely don't see a way, but it appears you do. So?

8. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I could write a book for rF1 why but ultimately you just want something to pick apart to prove your point. We each have our own opinions and I have my experience with other Steam titles. I'm writing from my phone so I'm not going into detail. You want to do it, then do it.

For the record I think rF2 would be fine. I have many games on Steam that work well in that environment. Knowing what I know about how many leagues use and mod rF1 for their specific use, you may gain "drivers", but it will just confuse and frustrate the installation/involvement prices fort new league members. League owners aren't going to take the tune to rewrite instructions and installers if someone has the Steam version.

9. 88mphTim

Yes, when you have the time, I still am genuinely seeking guidance; how will the community who own rF1 right now, and don't use steam, don't want to use steam (like you), be affected by rF1 being made available to people who do use it, who may have never owned rF1 at all? I genuinely don't see a way, but it appears you do. So?

10. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Leagues, which are the majority of the reason rF1 is still being used would have to rewrite instructions and installers to support those new Steam users. My experience is that those leagues are spread thin enough with developers/admins already it would be more frustrating to those that are keeping this version alive.

Others may disagree, that's my experience.

11. 88mphTim

More than multiple dirs does already? How is it different? You do know that you could get around the multiple install thing really easy, right? I do this with 1 game type and I see no reason why it wouldn't work with rF1.

1. Install.
    2. Backup the default rf folder from steam.
    3. Turn off updating of rf in steam.

Then you can either:
    4. Install a mod that needs a separate installation, use it, then delete and replace with backup from 2 between each mod use (what a pain, eh? 4B?).
    4b Install a mod that needs a separate installation, use it, then backup THAT folder, to bring it back in when you want that mod again. (Pretty damned simple).

It's not hard, and if you understand multiple directories, you're going to be able to do the same thing. I did it plenty with the X games from Egosoft.

12. 88mphTim

Still not seeing the difference, apart from the install paths and directory management so you have one active install in the steamapps. And to think people complain rf2 doesn't have a simple file drop anymore... Sounds like a lot of leagues have a very complex packaging system to me...

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Done

Steam needs more Open Architecture sims.

As long as you do not go 100% digital full content "one for all download" like say pCARS

Would be nice with rF2 Steam to have the ability to quick click content in steam interface you personally want to run the first time.

14. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Anything can be explained into simplicity. Never that easy when you start actually doing it. You've already got 4 steps for what used to take 1 (copy/paste), let alone helping a user figure out where and how Steam put the install to start with.

15. 88mphTim

I see how it is now... lol You don't even need to install it then. Fair enough, won't waste any more of your time. Blinkers are on.

16. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but no, no need to install. All that have to do now is license and race.

17. 88mphTim

Just to clarify, you mean effectively to have a 'lite' option somehow on Steam?

I've seen games do things like that... But not sure how it would work.

Some folks are a bit doom a gloom, forgetting that a greenlight vote wouldn't even ensure a game gets on Steam at all. Wouldn't be the first dev to want to look at it, then run away screaming. ;)

18. 88mphTim

What it meant was that you highlighted I had 4 steps, while you combined yours onto 1, leaving out essential elements like actually installing something. :)

19. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Many forgot wut rf2 has eliminate big time by doing modmanagers and vmod - mismatches.

It bewilder me how technical ppl who can mod their phones and overclock their pc complains abt few steps to get something installed. srsly

20. 88mphTim

That's pretty much it. It APPEARS that Steam implementation is about what the developer chooses to do, rather than Steam itself. I've given an example above of how I mod ONE game, effectively, which required multiple dirs for each mod, whether we'd need to do the same thing, or whether it would be just like it is for non-Steam, we don't know yet. That's why the negativity - already - is hard to understand and why honestly it's hard to understand reasoning there.

I mean, if you take something like EVE Online. What is Steam? Steam just delivers an installer and a month of access. After that? You never need Steam installed, as you create your actual game account with EVE themselves... You subsequently download and reactivate, etc, without Steam. All Steam does for EVE is bring new people. It's up to the developer, and it's up to ISI, but if you won't even give a dev the chance to look? Sheesh.