Not this again

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Domi

Domi Registered

You are confused, it's not "the fastest method", it's the "easiest method to become a bit faster". After seeing your initial thread, I checked some onboard laps of the real "top guys", aka FSR best drivers (like Morgan Morand and Bono Huis). They barely use throttle while braking, in fact they are quite similar to those Schumi traces. Using throttle while braking increases fuel consumption and maybe also brake wear, and that is something to take into account as well.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That is Copse corner, which is literally almost a flat-out 7th gear corner. You may justneed to drag a bit of brake while having your foot down hard or with your foot just slightly off. You are just dragging a very minute amount of speed off, that's why you aren't fully lifting if you don't have to. This is not even close to what we're discussing, and is a quite normal technique.

Why didn't you show the other telemetry graph from the same article, the one showing Schumacher and how he approaches a 1st gear hairpin from almost top speed? ;)

Anyways that technique is completely normal and even my instructor taught us it at F2000 for a particular fast double apex, uphill, left-hander that just needed a very tiny touch of speed bled in order to make the corner. One of my instructors liked to lift for a slightly longer amount of time, but only lifting a slight amount with a touch of brake on, similar to Schumi in the example above, while my other instructor liked to lift for a shorter time period but he would lift fully and more abruptly/suddenly, and I believe without touching the brake.

Again, as in my example above, he's using it at the esses, very quick corners where you just bleed very minutes of speed off, completely different to what I'm discussing, and a completely normal technique.

[HR][/HR]

With about 50 gazzilion hours of onboard F1 laps which show a very nice throttle bar/graph, why isn't this thread littered with videos proving me wrong? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  3. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Already added it before I saw you post. I haven't commented on this, just thought I would post said telemetry.

Also you say foot down hard or foot just slightly off but the brake and throttle are half and half there, so it's not quite how you're making out. I'm not arguin this, I know the technique and I use it, I also don't use the technique being debated in the thread here, depending on the car I try and use as little throttle as possible when losing speed, especially in the historic cars to get more use of engine braking, only need the throttle to keep the car balanced, but of course depends on the car, setup, corner etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2014
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

A. It's at max, only 15%
    B. For the last 15 ft (5m) it's completely off in order to get max front-end grip for the tightest part of the hairpin, this is something not needed when using this technique/setup in rF2 (and possibly other sims).

5. Hectari

Hectari Registered

A. Looks more like 16% to me :p
    B. I'd love to see the telemetry of Bono and Morgan, since they're right at the pointy end. I've watched them race before but haven't seen their inputs, Domi do you have any links to videos showing their telemetry?

6. Domi

Domi Registered

I will make some video tomorrow.

7. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Awesome, cheers!

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

IF the guys really at the top-end of rF2 laptimes don't use this technique then I will be happy. I only saw one video of Morgan where I could see pedal input (foot cam from 2011 in rF1), and he definitely seemed to drive completely "normally" (except for one corner where he oddly blipped on two or three downshifts even though the F1's should have proper auto-blips). So he definitely seems to be driving normal. This is a positive sign.

9. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

10. bwana

bwana Registered

Not having a clutch certainly doesn't help on starts. I get cleaned up consistently by clutch users.. Fanatec order placed. This discussion has got the better of me. I have A 14 year old rig . No ffb and no clutch pedal. Be interesting if peoples perception of gain by not using clutch is offset by what many claim is the advantage of no ffb.

11. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Even in karts if you keep throttling whilst brakes is a mistake because you'll destroy your clutch in few laps and the lap times will go to the trash can. Believe me, personal experience.

If you can replace all clutch system from qualifying to race (not the case for the major part of kart racing) so you can seize the throttle / brake at same time stuff to gain some tenths. If you'll use the same clutch for the race, you'll be screwed after few laps.

12. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Registered

I totally agree with this.

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I understand that it suck to lose just because you are doing it realistically, while others use auto-clutch for whatever reasons they have. Still, I don't agree on that using clutch should be implemented to the core or that it should be penalized within core. It should only be a server option. I've learned that at least bliping on downshifts takes the fun away from racing for me. I could try it with older cars which I have done in the past but not with newer cars which just doesn't feel right (plus the whole heel and toe thing feels physically impossible for me).

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I totally disagree, no benefits when driving helps are used and also if nose, bumper etc. cams are used.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think you misunderstood his post.

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

No I did not, all driving helps implemented to core and if you can not heal and toe you have nothing to do on the top of the podium and you should be much slower with auto clutch or with any other driving helps, server can allow driving helps but there should be penaltie whatever.

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Many are worried of not having enough drivers in rf2 and then people want these kind of things... logical I guess.

18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I think what Sir Stirling Moss said is more logical: "There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well, drive and make love.":confused::)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Still comes back to ....

You want a real clutch so others can't get a advantage that is the gist of what you say.

Well then ? ...........Give up your virtual mirrors ???

Whether or not you need it because of a unrealistic FOV is irrelevant.

Real racers do not use them, ergo they are fake and a aid no different to the auto clutch

What are tablets, plugins, LCD , real gauges, team speak, the best controls and seat you can buy...? ........they are aids.

What you people think that does not give you enough advantage opposed to one tiny little aid someone may use :confused:

Some people ar unfortunate enough that the auto clutch is the best help they have , not everyone is a move star.

So you beat someone you force to use manual clutch and you use $1000 steering wheel and pedals to do it..... :rolleyes: .....while they use a worn bent plastic wheel ( like mine ) .

Real FAIR ?

;)

Hate to be broken record but Normal and Pro versions would finish this discussion forever. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  20. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

No it does not finish this discussion because people with a too tiny single screen (19" 1440x900), like me without a triple screen setup are not able to race the pro version because of lack of mirrors or would you force me to use 60° and higher fov values just to be able to see the mirrors and get a wrong feeling of speed? ;) every medal has 2 sides dd. as i wrote earlier to you it would only make sense if you sell all the hardware with the sim so everybody would be on the same level ;)