FFBtweaks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by APEXerI, Dec 5, 2014.

1. APEXerI

APEXerI Registered

I've been tweaking many of the settings available for FFB and I have found that FFB is a double edge sword. Not only does FFB shake the steering wheel, it appears that FFB also changes the way the car drives. I was having trouble braking an EVE F3 entering turn #3 at Road America and no change to the car setup helped the problem. My changes to the FFB setups only not only solved the problem, they also improved the realistic feel of driving. These changes were tested by another driver on his system 2000 miles away and he also noted the improvement.

I tested each of the changes one at a time so that I could “feel” the difference. After initial testing, the test driver entered values that better suited his driving. Your driving may need different values.

With my G27, I have the Logitech drivers loaded so I can make setup changes on the MS Game Controller but I have the Logitech Gaming Software disabled. I have a Bodnar cable for my pedals so my pedals appear as Logitech g25 pedals as a second controller device. www.leobodnar.com

MS – game controllers – properties – settings page for the G27, I have
    Rotation @ 900
    Overall Effect @ 100%
    Spring Effect @ 100%
    Damper @ 100%
    uncheck “Center Spring”, rf2 will give you centering spring
    check “Allow Game to adjust settings”

I use the default MS settings for the G25 pedals in MS – game controllers – properties – settings

I have all rf2 plugins disabled and do not use any 3rd party programs other than Bodnar calibration for the pedals.

Shown below in bold type are lines that appear in the “wheel”.JSON files.

You can edit the values in the ~rf2/Userdata/player/ Controller.JSON file. If you do, you need to save your wheel setup in rf2 when you restart rf2 or the setting will be lost the next time you make a change to the wheel setup.

You can edit the values in the ~rf2/Userdata/Controller/ “YourWheel”.JSON file. If you do , you need to reload YourWheel setup when you restart rf2 for the changes to be effective.

My ~rf2/Userdata/player/ Controller.JSON file shows
    "Device Name 1":"Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB",
    "Device Name 2":"Logitech® G25 Pedals",

I made these tweaks to brake setup
    },
    "Force Feedback":{
    "Brake effects on steer axis":1,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Brake effects strength":7500,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, 10000applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Brake spring coefficient":0.5,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"0.3org Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Brake spring saturation":1,
    "Brake spring saturation#":"1 Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",

I choose to turn FFB off on my pedals, controller #2. My pedals are spring actuated and have no FFB.
    "Ignore controllers":2,
    "Ignore controllers#":"Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=controller2, 4=controller3, 8=controller4 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 15 ignores all)",

I like to have FFB when I'm off-road but not to much
    "Off-road multiplier":0.5,
    "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",

If FBB update is too fast for your driving
    "Skip updates":0,
    "Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",

These steering settings work for me
    "Steering effects strength":10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
    "Steering resistance coefficient":0.3,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0.2,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
    "Steering spring coefficient":0.3,
    "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering spring saturation":0.2,
    "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering torque extrap blend":0.4,
    "Steering torque extrap blend#":"Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)",
    "Steering torque extrap time":0.005,
    "Steering torque extrap time#":"Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)",

This value appears in rf2 -settings- controls as “FFB smoothing”,
    I adjust for each mod/car sometimes. 0 is default, never tried more than 5. rf2 throws out high and low to calculate
    "Steering torque filter":3,
    "Steering torque filter#":"Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)",

This will help with FFB Deadzone
    "Steering torque minimum":0.04,
    "Steering torque minimum#":"Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction", try 0.02-.125 However, if steering wheel FFB oscillates at slow car speed the value is too high. Lower is better

This value appears in rf2 -settings- controls as “Car-Specific FFB Mult”, I adjust for each mod/car. When the value is high, FFB can be very strong. When the value is set correctly, you will feel when the front wheels of the vehicle are sliding in the corner or skidding while braking
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult":0.85,
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult#":"Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)",
    "Steering torque sensitivity":1,
    "Steering torque sensitivity#":"Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high",
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult":1,
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult#":"0.45 Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque",
    "Throttle effects on steer axis":1,
    "Throttle effects on steer axis#":"0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.",
    "Throttle effects strength":5000,
    "Throttle effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Throttle spring coefficient":0.7,
    "Throttle spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Throttle spring saturation":0.6,
    "Throttle spring saturation#":"1 Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Type":1,
    "Type#":"Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble\/gamepad 4=custom"

The G25/G27 pedals use rotary rheostats that output an analog signal and I found that filtered brake and filtered throttle signals gave smoother car control.
    },
    "General Controls":{

"Analog Control Filter":3,
    "Analog Control Filter#":"0 = off, 127 = on, or add which inputs you want filtered 1=throttle, 2=brake, 4=front handbrake 8=rear handbrake, 16=steering, 32=clutch, 64=power demand",

This value appears in rf2 -settings- controls as “Steering Rate”, rf2 default is 20%. 30% feels about right to me. When at 100%, other drivers said my steering was not smooth. I adjust for each mod/car.
    "Keyboard Steering":0.3,
    "Keyboard Steering#":"rate for keyboard\/digital steering input",

This value appears in rf2 -settings- controls as “Speed Sensitivity”, I always have 0
    "Speed Sensitive Steering":0,

This value appears in rf2 -settings- controls as “Sensitivity” under the steering wheel . I like linear
    "Steering Sensitivity":1,
    "Steering Sensitivity#":"0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high. These are applied after other controller effects like deadzones, digital",

This value appears in rf2 -settings- controls as “Steering Wheel Range”. 900 is G27 max, use “Vehicle Set” if it works for you. I like to have the physical rotation of my G27 wheel exactly match the rotation of the steering wheel in the cockpit. Use the number that works
    "Steering Wheel Range":900,
    "Steering Wheel Range#":"Degrees of steering wheel rotation, both visual and physical (if available)",

You also need to set the “Set Min / Set Max” for each of the pedals in rf2 -settings- controls.
    Just like a real car, you need a flat spot at both Min and Max for the clutch. If your street car's clutch does not have free play at the top, the clutch will slip. If your car clutch does not have free play at the bottom, the clutch may not release completely.

Just like a real car, you need a flat spot at Min for the brake. If your street car's brake does not have a little free play at the top, the brakes will drag if you happen to rest your foot on the brake pedal while driving. With the calibration program provided with the Bodnar cable, you can set a flat spot at Max so you cannot overpower the brakes no matter how hard to press.

If you put a flat spot in front of Max for the throttle, you know you are getting FULL throttle without stamping your pedal through the floor.

Once done, be sure to safe your setting as mentioned at the top of this guide

Hope this guide is not too confusing.
    Once you're done, you'll probably say “Wow, it drives just like a real car”.
    You'll be surprised at how effective changes in car setups will be.
    Then, of course, how well you drive will be up to the driver.

Have fun

2. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

thank you very much for your effort and sharing with us :eek:
    I will follow it now and give a feedback asap

3. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I did hear this worked in rF1 but don't know how it affects analogue steering wheel?
    Be nice if you could attach your controller file :)

Thanks

4. APEXerI

APEXerI Registered

I am not familiar with analogue wheels and I do not know why iy would not work.

I tried to attach the Controller.JSON as you requested but I could not get the upload to accept it.

The lines I originally sent were copied from my Controller.JSON file at that time.
    The Controller.JSON file is a working file that changes and it changes with every mod.

I tweak with the FFB settings in rf2 - settings -control when I start the mod before I start changing the car setup.
    Those tweaks change the Controller.JSON file

5. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Will this work with my G25? Is it much different to the G27?

Presumably we can just copy and paste the JSON info you've supplied info into our own files?

Cheers bud. A very comprehensive post! Off to tweak now. Again...

P.S.
    How do you disable Logith software, but keep drivers loaded? When I try to close Logitech Profiler, I get a 'This will stop Logitech controllers working properly' error message. Can I just exit it from taskbar?

I can find everything apart from:
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult":0.85,
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult#":"Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)",
    "Steering torque sensitivity":1,
    "Steering torque sensitivity#":"Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high",
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult":1,
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult#":"0.45 Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque",
    "Throttle effects on steer axis":1,
    "Throttle effects on steer axis#":"0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.",
    "Throttle effects strength":5000,
    "Throttle effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Throttle spring coefficient":0.7,
    "Throttle spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Throttle spring saturation":0.6,
    "Throttle spring saturation#":"1 Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Type":1,
    "Type#":"Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble\/gamepad 4=custom"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  6. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

No it doesn't. IMO your statement is somewhat proof that most of the changes you guys make are placebo. I would be willing to bet that if I changed half of the settings you guys change in your FFB files back to default you either wouldn't notice or say they are better than your own settings. I don't recommend messing with all those settings that that very long FFB thread explains to do.

7. APEXerI

APEXerI Registered

Sling Dash,
    The tweaks should work with G25 wheel. They work with my G25 pedals and the testor's Thrustmaster

Rather than paste the lines I sent, just change the values in your JSON file.
    The lines in your JSON file may have many of the values I sent.

If you open your Logitech Profiler and go to Options - Global Profile Setting and uncheck the three lines under Deneral Bewhavior, the next time you start your computer, Logitech Profiler will not restart.

Have fun

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  8. APEXerI

APEXerI Registered

Jamie Shorting,
    If only been sim racing since F1-1998 and I've tried many, many other suggestions to improve car handling before finding the tweaks. Nothing gave me the improvements I found with the tweaks.
    As I mentioned in my post, my setting may not be the ultimate for everybody's driving style but they may point most racers in the right direction.
    In my testing, I changed a value then restarted rf2 to see if it made an improvement in my driving experience. Some changes worked some did not.
    Continuous Improvement never ends and I've made other changes since I posted. With all the advice posted on all the sim racing web sites, every racer has made his setup unique and the values shown in the lines I posted may match the values any racer sees.
    The FBBtweaks I posted are intended to help most racers become better. Before you say "don't" , give the tweaks a try and see in you are a better racer.

9. Sling Dash

Sling Dash Registered

Thanks, Apex, but I can't find some of the settings - e.g. 'Steering Torque'. There are hundreds of tweaks to be typed-in by the looks of it, and I've spent more than enough time faffing about with RF2 already, to be honest.

Do you mind if I PM you with a request?

10. APEXerI

APEXerI Registered

11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Most wheels are analogue.
    Think of clocks/watches.
    That setting is for keyboard which is digital ( on or off ) and theoretically should have no affect on a steering wheel.