About to get an Obutto Ozone, 1 thing possibly stopping me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guys I'm probably going to be getting one of these soon (used, good deal) to go with my Clubsport V2 pedals and T500RS (might get a T300RS or TX soon, apparently less raw power, but quicker reacting and more detailed FFB). The final thing stopping me is the triple screen mount. It seems like the mount is stuck with no adjustability...

I want the monitors as close to my wheel as possible so that my 1:1 real-life FOV can be as large as possible http://www.projectim...v/index.php?m=3 (My monitors are currently about 38 inches from my eyes, and with 24", 16:9 monitors that equates to 18 deegres, I would love to have the monitors around 20-27 inches from my eyes, which would allow me to use a FOV of 25-33 degrees).

It looks like - with the Obutto Ozone - that the centre screen will be even further back than it is now on my current setup. Basically I'd be paying a few hundred dollars to have my monitors even further away from me than now on my el-cheapo setup. This, to me, is unacceptable. Also, paying more money for another triple monitor mount is unacceptable since I'm already paying for the one included in my purchase.

Is there anyway the stock Obutto Ozone triple monitor mount can be adjusted closer to the wheel? Some kind of mod or cheap parts to accomplish this? Anything???....I would love to finally purchase a rig. All you brilliant minds out there, there must be something you can think of....I want to get this so bad but it just ruins it all if I'm stuck with my monitors even further away to me then they even are now with my "el-cheapo" desk.

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

So your not tempted by OR and ditching the 3 screens?

3. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Why Obutto and not DIY? With DIY you could adjust the rig completely to your liking and it might also cost much less. Downside: It probably won't look as nice as the Obutto ;)

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not yet. I tried a DK2 in late October and it was fun but still not for me.

- haven't found any input lag tests on it (not head-tracking lag, but actual input lag like gets tested on monitors)
    - still too low resolution (a monitor at 1080P and 24", or 1440P and 27" blows the Rift away). The 3D mode of the Rift is the type (can't remember the name) where the resolution is actually half of what the screen can do since it's per eye or something like that, so for example: imagine you had a 1080P screen (1920x1080) but the rendered image quality actually only looked like that of a 540P screen (960x540), whereas with Nvidia 3D Vision it's the true, full resolution that you see but the refresh rate instead gets cut in half (so 120 Hz equals 60Hz per eye). So you can either do the 3D from cutting the resolution in half or the refresh rate - at least I think that's how it works, I could be wrong.
    - plus too low horizontal FOV (move your eyes left and right and you see nothing), the horizontal FOV truly covers my entire peripheral vision with triple screens, I don't have to keep turning my head/neck to visually sense the cockpit/car around me.

I still prefer triple screens + Nvidia 3D Vision + TrackIR (can't wait to go triple 1440P) (the head tracking isn't even a big deal, it's mostly the triple screens and Nvidia 3D vision that make the experience amazing). But I still am a fan of the OR, don't get me wrong. I may get the CV1 (depending how much it improves from above), if not, then I imagine that I will almost certainly get the CV2, but that will be a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

My friend keeps convincing me to do this but I don't want to. I don't got the time for this, plus I want the setup to have lots of adjustability like ones you can buy (move the shifter mount around, keyboard tray, seat, pedals, wheel, etc.), most DIY setups I see don't have all the adjustability as something like an Obutto Ozone, let alone an Obutto Revolution.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have an idea, there must be some sort of Vesa extension mounts/plates that I can attach to the Obutto Vesa monitor mounts, these extensions would stick out 6 inches or a foot or whatever, and then I would mount the monitors to those.....Basically a double sided (Vesa mount to Vesa mount) Vesa mount, lol, with a foot, or so, extension arm between each mount. Sort of like the upper-case letter "I".

Does anyone know of anything like that??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Something like those, but the mount on the left side would also have to be a Vesa mount (which I suprisingly can't find any of) so that one side can hook up to the Obutto Vesa mounts and then the other side to my monitors...This would fix the problem absolutely perfectly, if I can find out how to make the left-sdie wall mount into a regular Vesa mount in order to hook up to the Obutto Vesa mount...

8. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Bit messy but you could use two such arms bolted back to back to give you a vesa plate on both ends.

9. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

How strong is it? Could you get someone to 'dogleg' the two main uprights and bring the whole thing closer?

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

A little OT but since you mentioned it...
    First I've heard of the T300RS. I did some searching but don't see any detail on the specs. Can you give details or links to your info? Especially the "more detailed FFB"? I suppose it will be a while until the masses get ahold of them and start dissecting them, literally and figuratively.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Great news...

I went on the Obutto website's forum, it's not the busiest in the world but I thought I might as well give it a shot. Low and behold, there is a poster on the first page asking something similar to me. It turns out the option I mentioned above (Obutto Ozone triple screen mount --> extended arms/wall mounts --> monitors) will also work just fine, infact, Chris (the owner of Obutto) said that he did just exactly this for his daughter's cockpit. Perfect! I believe the extended monitor arms would not only fix the issues of the monitors not being close enough to me, but would also allow 27" monitors to be mounted at 45 degrees (stock Obutto Ozone can't do 45 degrees with 27" monitors, maybe just 30 degrees or so), and since i'm planning to go to 27" monitors soon, the monitor size would have been an issue as well with a stock Obutto Ozone.

This is great news.

I think I'm going to buy it [​IMG]. Now I just hope the pedal plate can handle a Clubsport V2 pedal with the load sensor at least half way up, maybe more. It seems like it will flex or even completely snap with that kind of pressure........

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The T300RS is apparently very, very similar to the TX, maybe even identical (internally). They have a different FFB motor than that of the T500RS. The T300RS/TX FFB motor is brushless, whereas the T500RS motor isn't. Apparently the T300RS/TX are quicker reacting wheels, smoother, have less internal resistance, etc., although they have slightly less raw power. They may have a lower top-speed than the T500RS due to having less power, but I'm not drifting so that doesn't bother me if it means gaining the previously mentioned benefits.

I've read this in quite a fe reviews (check forums), I also saw this in youtube comments, they said it on insidesimracing (TX and T300RS PC review), and Thrustmaster themselves even sort of says it themselves if you look here...[​IMG]

13. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

Now if they would make one for sale without pedals, that would be great :)

14. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

I have had an Obutto Ozone for almost 5 years now and am thoroughly satisfied with it. The frame is solid as a rock and the seat is as durable as you would want. I have the triple monitor config and it lines up my 22" Dell 2209WA's just fine. My Fanatec CSW with the V1 wheelbase is solid and so are my Fanatec V2 pedals on the pedal base. All said I am very happy with it.

15. coops

coops Banned

it has arms that will extend it closer to you . i just made a base for the stand to clear my rig to get it closer my FOV is now 25 can go smaller. its the best triple screen stand out there for the money very solid. i think i needed somewhere around 200mm so i used a sleeper cut to size and secured the stand to that to get the extra height needed to clear part of my wheel to get closer. here is a pic of mine and what i did. rig is on a base to make it easier to get in and out of.

View attachment 15082
    View attachment 15083
    View attachment 15084

hope these pics help

16. Ashes

Ashes Registered

I have the TX, and am very happy with it.
    The FFB is superb (granted I have not used 500 before, but have used a g27, and upgraded from an old DFP) - the feedback is smooth.
    ONLY downside for me is the wheel it comes with (I'm a Ferrari fan, so that's ok with me, but would have preferred a racing wheel as opposed to a road car replica), and the pedals are normal pots, brake pedal has long travel & not a significant amount of resistance.
    As far as power is concerned - I have my ffb strength set to 70% in thrustmaster control panel, and run normally around .75 car specific multiplier on most cars (some less, some slightly more).

17. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Or make it compatible with G27 pedals. I'd probably get one right away. You suppose a DIY adaptor could be made? G27 has clutch but I never use it.

Edit: woo hoo, one exists

http://www.ricmotech.com/product_p/rmt-t500w2g27p.htm

18. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Looks like it's not available in the US. What up with that?

19. Opulence

Opulence Registered

The extra side arms to attach 2 side monitors are bad. Anything too large (by that I mean too large for what the arms can apparently hold), it will be impossible to align correctly. By "large" I mean 28", not sure of the weight, whatever 28" stuff weights. The whole monitor holding frame will tip forward (into you). It will not be straight. The arms will sag down, will move around etc. It's a nightmare. Now, 24" seem to work ok.

20. RJames

RJames Registered

I recently got the T300GTE Package (with the Ferrari wheel standard).

Very happy with how the wheel performs in terms of FFB and general use. Have used it in an endurance race already and it was great over the duration. Certainly recommend it.