HELP! Issues Hosting w/ Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by William David Marsh, Nov 29, 2014.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

Hey guys, I have been trying the past couple of days to set up some online racing, but I've had some issues that I need to resolve before I can do anything...

I was able to get a server going (I have all the correct ports open [Thanks for the help, Tim! :D]), and my friend was able to join me. However, he can NOT see me driving at all. Not in the replays, and not when he's driving and I'm in front/behind him.

I'm able to see him alright, and interact with his car. However, if I hit his car, it will NOT register for him, and it causes some weird rift in the Sim-Time Continuum or something, so what I see is not what he's doing, I guess?

What I'm trying to figure out is why this could be happening.

This is what I've been doing to host the server:

I use the Dedicated Server prototype to make a mod (I choose the cars and tracks, and then once the server is going, I close it).
    Then, I uncheck the dedicated server prototype box, and use the stock dedicated server interface, but use the newly-created mod. I adjust the settings, and start the server.

I'm able to enter just fine, and my friend enters without a hitch as well. However, my friend can not see my car at all, and it appears I'm stuck in the pits to him.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? What did you do to resolve it?

Thank you for your time, everybody!

Note: I decided to post this in General Discussion because I'm hoping more people will see it. It seems like the "Tech Support" section is largely unvisited =\

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Is this even possible? (would be cool though!)
    If its not possible, then I suspect your server is also your own pc and thus the vmod is already installed on your own drive and you can enter.
    But then again, he should not be able to enter at all as he can't obtain the vmod?

I would defo test running either dedicated or prototype full stop and see what happens, if he can join both ways you'll know your routine is the problem.

But he could also just be running as spectator.

Tech support is visited allot btw. its just slow across the boards these days it seems.

Let us know if your routine works anyways please :)

3. William David Marsh

Just letting you guys know that I started a server: "Sebring With DW12", so if anybody is able to enter in the next couple hours or so, that would be greatly appreciated! :)

4. ozspeedfreak

ozspeedfreak Registered

Mod download failed. Mod could not be installed..

5. William David Marsh

Weird... I decided to pull it for now, I'll talk with Tim later

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Will

I was waiting for you to ask me "the something" you wanted help with.

Didn't want to say yes then you ask me to help you rob a bank did I.

lool ;)

No , I was off getting a brew sorry.

Few times this last build I seen a few drivers never appear or vanish.

That with F3-rookies, all stock content and a mod that has worked for 3 years.

btw proper forum here mate
    http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/56-Hosting-Help

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  7. AceLain

AceLain Registered

what happen if you create your server using the Server prototype all the way ?

create the vMod using the proto, and Host using it

8. zerocool

zerocool Registered

Will- Let us know when the server is back up so we can try again.

Not sure if this will help but one thing I have found is to save the rFm mas & vmod in the same directory. I always choose "customize" on the "Create Package" screen and move the rFm mas to "packages" directory. I have no idea if that is technically correct or not but it seemed to make the servers transfer the vmod to my drivers and keeps everything uniform as well.

Also, I think ANYTIME you make changes to the vmod I would rename it. It's just confusing for others if you don't.

And I agree to post in the General Discussion even if it's server related as more people will see it....I have done the same. :)

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Or you can play rFactor 1, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, etc. and while you're in-game (no out-of-game server settings crap to deal with) you just click on "create game", select the allowed cars/series, a track, your server/session rules/settings, BAM! You're connected and in your game ready to drive in 2 seconds, you don't even have to mess with ports and all this other networking technical "mumbo jumbo" crap (at least I've never had to). Of course you miss out on the whole autodownloads thing which is MASSIVELY important for a multiplayer video-game based on tons of 3rd party add-on cars and tracks (not to mention all the times they get updated), so that really sucks, but at least you can get a server/room going in 30 seconds, with no knowledge of anything network related, and all done in-game.

Ok, I know ISI is working on it and my comment is a little harsh, but man, I tried setting up a room again and it's just ridiculous. This is supposed to be a video-game, not info-tech training.

Again, I am assuming ISI is planning big changes to make the whole online system (creating a room/server, auto-downloads AKA "Get Mod", more control/options/settings/customizeability from in-game, etc.) along with their new core U.I., but then again I'm just assuming and therefore I could be totally wrong and that's why I sometimes feel the need to write these harsh posts - in order to remind ISI to not accept the current system as "good enough" because it would be a real shame for such an amazing game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  10. William David Marsh

I'm going to try a server in about 45 minutes, at the top of the hour. It will be called Sebring With DW12.