[REL] Celica gto IMSA + semi-fictional track

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by 32_Pixels, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

Loving care has gone into this combination and it shows!

The Celica handles well with the mild understeer setup (try it on Lime Rock, but have patience with the diving turn for optimum lap times), the sounds come alive both inside and outside the car, and the acceleration is monster. The windscreen demister is authentic and not in my way visually (deal with it, people, just like the real drivers!). Really enjoy the dash's blue dymo-label textures. I felt very comfortable mashing the throttle at will and taking it to redline. Concessions for an rF2 LCD speedometer & gear indicator are nicely fitted.

Lester shows attention to detail in providing atmosphere and a pixel/polygon budget well-spent that yields good framerates. The bumps in the track feel good even though they're giving me fits in the braking zones. Extra points for what are undoubtedly the most authentic concrete barrier textures, burned into my skull from sliding head-on into several of them. For me, Lester is like most city street circuits, I can't find my driving line because I lose my frame of reference in the maze of concrete barriers.

Thank you very much for bringing this effort to rF2 and I sure hope we see more GTO/GTU cars to fill out the field at Lester!

Here are a few things I've noticed:

Celica lacks starter sound (or volume isn't loud enough?) and the gearbox whine is more than heard on the in-car video. FFB seems low (power steering?) and I increased it to 1.20-1.25 with clipping only on Brianza banked turns with my G25.

Lester has two extremely black squiggle marks on the pavement that puzzle me... are they oil spills or what?

The animated truck in the garage area needs a shadow. It's okay that other animations don't have a shadow, but it's noticeable that the garage truck doesn't have one and breaks the immersion when pulling out of the garage spot.

P.S. The enjoyment factor herein is far higher than the long-awaited VLM-jr GTPC.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
  2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Top work here man, your are legend thank you so much :D

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Even if the file wasn't encrypted, I think the author is quite capable of "improving" this impressive track on their own. Perhaps you could contribute some useful suggestions here in this thread.

4. willz

willz Registered

the truck doesn`t have shadows ???? are you having a laugh or what

5. willz

willz Registered

wheres the donation button

6. sjbaraki

sjbaraki Registered

This mod is incredible. The detail. The FFB, and feel. The TURBO GAUGE.

Thanks 32_Pixels!

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Different people notice different things. This was something I noticed. Ever turned shadows off and tried racing? Same sensation of cognitive dissonance.

Guimengo likes this.
  8. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Wow, incredible work 32_Pixels!!! Love love love it! Thanks for sharing, awesome :eek:

9. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Still haven't had enough time but did sneak in about 15-20 laps today. Great fun and I love the risk / reward element here with the bumps and walls.

10. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

Amazing car and track. Love those minor details like the trucks going on around the port and such, you put a lot of work into that.

Simply great job mate...10/10 and thank you very much for this. :eek:

11. Copef1

Copef1 Registered

This car is a blast. Thank you very much. Now if we only had the Roush Mustangs, the XR4ti, and the 300ZX, we could have some serious mid 80"s GTO battles.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

True dat. The Celica needs some friends. :)

13. willz

willz Registered

guess we are different then, I just thank my lucky stars that we have a great modeller that can do this for free, but again suppose we are all different, by the way you sound very intelligent with the cognitive dissonance i was very impressed

14. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Amazing work. Thanks for your work. Very fun.

15. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

What a blast. Well, once you get heat into the tires, before then it has no grip, but that's expected.

Lester seems like it has particularly low grip, which is pretty fun. Being used for shipping and cargo duty, you can easily just say there is a lot of oil and run off from dirty trucks and ships and stuff in that parking lot, hence the grip. Or maybe I'm crazy. We'll go with a little bit of both. Pretty fun track with some of the seemingly strategically positioned bumps, nice little atmosphere that recalls some of the tracks of the Celica's day. However, track seems almost entirely devoid of spectators which makes it feel a bit Need for Speed Underground style.

Celica drives nicely, the wonderful little squirm on exit is what makes rFactor 2 so fantastic. Fantastic car selection in the sense it's the type of car people will want and the fact that I can think of precisely one other GTO car in any sim of note, and that's the Audi that R3E has. Looks good, drives great, sounds are kind of weak (they dont sound like they are coming from the car, they just sound out of the environment though I think most of that is rFactor 2.) but still suffice. Default setup is a bit too stiff for my liking at Lester, though felt fine enough at LRP. Please, do rFactor 2 as a whole a favor and consider giving this car a GTO playmate when that time comes if it does.

Couple of general comments -
    Backfire animations get stuck when coming back from replays it seems.
    TRD and the other decal on the rear quarter panels is cut off on every car.

16. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

Great car and brilliant track.

Thank you very much.

17. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Outstanding work. Very grateful for your decision to release on rF2. This car and track shows exceptional talent. Thank you for sharing with everyone!

Having a track like this in rF2 makes me want to see more like it. :)

18. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Well now that this mod is a total hit with us, are you planning any other cars to add to what you have? The Celica is just bad to the bone. Thanks again

19. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I was gushing about track....this car is also amazing! Found that out when I took it for a spin on some tracks meant for F1 and other high powered/fast cars.

Please 32_Pixels, tells us your plans!