rfactor 2: black bars on middle screen (nvidia surround)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by rfguy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. rfguy

rfguy Registered

Hello,

I am not that new, but I totally forgot my old log-in.

I have a graphical issue I will detail later on.

My system consists of a i3450-Processor on an intel board, 24GB of RAM@1600MHz and I recently switched from ATI 7850 Radeon HD to a GTX970 card (same time I upgraded from 8 to 24GB RAM and that is when the problem started).

System runs stable, and usually no problems except some performance loss that surprises me in older software when I max AA (rfactor 1, gtr 2. race 07) and I have some vsync issues in all of them. I am trying to find errors in my graphics card using occt, but so far without any result.

I am running three screens, the middle screen is connected to the card via HDMI, the other with DVI (and one of them with a display port adapter). Thinking about the possibility of a connection issue, I disconnected the side screens and the problem disappeared. Also when I deactivate nvidia´s surround, there is no problem on the middle screen.
    The Radeon did not show this issue, it was just a bit slow for rf2.
    I do not have this problems in any other sim, not even in AC.
    All starts when surround is activated and rf2 starts. A flickery line slowly runs up, starting from bottom of the middle screen in the menus. It does not always reach the top. When simulation starts, it becomes a broader black bar with a flickery top and bottom.
    When I choose the corvette it is awful, but it seems worse when I use a formula racer. Sometimes nearly all of the screen gets black. Sometimes it´s like the bar changes, appears or disppears in sync with a rapid wheel move.
    instruments are not simply covered by this bar, they disappear while this bar is in the instruments' y-area, so there is some inte4rference with this instrument layer I guess.
    I was hoping to find someting on the net, but as I did not find anything, I started to test my hardware, as I said, without any results.

I am looking forward to reading ideas.

rfguy

2. rfguy

rfguy Registered

I tried to create a screenshot, but it is pointless as it looks perfect.

I also tried with the print key, but I only got to see my desktop. I did not expected it to work anyway, but I noticed that when I press print, the error suddenly disappears, but after a while it returns. But I hope I do not need to press print approximately every 5 seconds while playing, there must be another solution :)

3. RJames

RJames Registered

Have you checked to see if there is any other running processes that could be creating the bar?

I run pretty much the same setup, only issue i had recently was the drivers. The latest nvidia drivers 344.75 gave me very slight tearing, however version 344.65 worked just fine.

Might be worth trying the alternative driver just to see.

344.65 - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/79558/en-uk

4. rfguy

rfguy Registered

Hi RJames, thank you for answering, I tried the different driver versions. In fact I had 65 installed, although by date it should have been 75.
    Does not matter, I tried the new ones, there was no improvement. (Now in race07 cars run kind of "pulsating" :/ Did not have these problems on my radeon...).

Before I switched drivers, I noticed a change after trying out different detail levels. The bars changed to a black curtain still coming from bottom, climbing to top. It seems like the layer changed, as instruments do not disappear anymore, they are covered in black as the rest of the middle screen.

Maybe I should ask nvidia if they can have a look at this thread...

5. rfguy

rfguy Registered

ok, same speed oscillation in rfactor 1 after a while, so I hope there will be a solution for this problem in the interest of all.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2014
  6. rfguy

rfguy Registered

.65 seems a bit better than .75.

same bar-problem on r3e btw. I would appreciate if nvidia answered to my email.

7. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I suggest to take a picture of your screen using a smartphone or whatever you have for this. Even if it's not top quality picture It may help to see the problem and understand where it could come...

8. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

retrieved my old user + got cam and took some pictures... :)

9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

That's could be a PSU problem, not enough power when 3 monitors connected to your GPU. What kind of Power Supply you have inside your computer (how many Watt/model)?

Do you know how much was needed for your previous GPU versus what is needed for your brand new GTX970?

If one of your side monitor hane HDMI entry and the middle one have DVI (even through adapter), try to switch middle and one of the side monitor as a test (it will look uggly, it's just a test) to see if it work better. Also, the HDMI cable could have a problem and need more power than usual, try a shorter one (or at least another one). I saw it work fine with one the middle one, but perhaps in this case your PSU is enough or cable get more power...

10. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

That is the installed PSU: 10 2B01-2A4 1 Coba CS-650it 82+ Bronze 650W ATX

Maybe you are right, although in numbers GTX970 does not consume too much more in comparison to the 7850. (Another reason to choose the 970...)

11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Nearly same PSU than me (same numbers). Yep, I ordered the GTX970, I'll have it in around 2 weeks (can't wait!), for its power consumption that is less that my current GTX670. I asked as I didn't know for the 7850.

Still it look like something around this, or cable. That don't look like a graphic bug, and you also have it in R3E, so it's look like more an "electric" issue than software bug too me... Drivers?, I have a doubt.

If you lower a lot the 3 monitors resolution and graphics settings too, what happen (just for testing)? I guess problem is gone (less power asking possibly)?

12. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

lowering resolution does not improve anything. lowering clock frequency kind of changes it, but does not improve either.

This problem does not appear on assetto corsa or older sw than rf2/r3e. (that is why I asked here)
    But I get this speed oscillation after a while in rf1 or race07.

I would not exclude GPU or SW-problems as I even read a 550W-PS should be enough for this card.

I hope gigabyte answers soon.

13. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

Well, at this moment - I cannot believe it - I got rid of the stripes and bars.

I configured the gpu to full power, but I still had to switch off spome of the effects concerning AA. I switched them on step by step but it is still working.

I will try with r3e. ... tweaking day... as if I had not to clean up my flat :/

EDIT: now stripes are BACK in r3e and race07 is affected too, buit ok, that is for completing it, it's kind of ot as the problem is not rf2-specific :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2014
  14. Swir80PL

Swir80PL Registered

I have exactly same issue. I got Galax gtx970 and this issue appears in every game if i try to run vsync while in surround. Tried new drivers as well, no change. Psu is 750W and this card takes less power than 670 i had before. Never bothered to try different cable thou as it's all good without vsync.

Got a video here (skip 35 seconds). Just to clarify it is not rFactor 2 issue. it's Nvidia 970.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2014
  15. rf2newbie

rf2newbie Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  16. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Hi all,

I’ve also a surround setup with a GeForce GTX 770 graphic card,
    in my case the right screen is connected with HDMI, and it shows the exact same black bars on the bottom of the screen.
    I got these bars at random times, with random games. But they only appear on 3D games, never during standard desktop usage.

I never encountered such problems with my «old» Ati 5870, so it’s not cable-related nor screen related.

I also got a Corsair 900W PSU, so i really don’t think this has to deal with it.

I really think about some Nvidia’s driver problem....

;/

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Looks like an issue with the virtual mirrors. Can't say I ever experienced this issue (SLI 780 Ti), then again, I don't use virtual mirrors 95% of the time.

18. Gugus

Gugus Registered

I don't use virtual mirrors either, and the bug appear with other games...

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh weird, they looked like the se shape and size of the virtual mirrors from the one pic I looked at.

If you're getting it in other games, then I would try disabling SLI from control panel, then re-set up the triple screen resolution (plug all monitirs into top card). If you still have the issue, then fully uninstall/reinstall your graphics drivers using the method in my sig. Then try again with SLI disabled first, if ok, then try with SLI.

20. Gugus

Gugus Registered

Well... I don’t use SLI either............ :D
    Just a standard triple monitor setup with only one 770 GTX graphic card,
    with left+center monitors on DVI + right monitor on HDMI.
    Only the HDMI-connected one shows those pretty annoying black bars.
    I’m running on triple HD resolution (5760x1080 pixels).

So, it’s pretty like nvidia + triple screen + hdmi out issue.