Is sim racing a level play for all?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Nov 18, 2014.

1. doug484

doug484 Registered

Out in the real world of racing a great driver can make a mediocre car look great, but a bad driver in a great car is still a bad driver.

I think, in sim racing, as long as your video can keep up, the same rule applies.

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

what about the refresh rate factor?
    a monitor with a refresh rate of 60 and a game that says it's running at 120fps
    do you see 60 or 120?
    then there's the How many frames per second can the human eye see?
    very interesting read....... http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

movies/films @ 24fps

clogged pc
    it mostly depends on what is running in the background and what it's doing in the background
    but generally the more installed the slower it can get by filling up the registry for one

3. bwana

bwana Registered

I'd love to drive a rig that has high end gear on a 120 hz monitor with a bodnar/ fanatec/ other top wheel and compare to my 2004 pc with amd 5600 and non ffb wheel.. Either way l still have a ball on my antiquated gear.

4. matf1

matf1 Registered

And that's all that is important.

Magoo, one if the things I noticed at 60/60 is that the track is smooth but the stadiums and other objects towards the horizon would slideshow a bit. 120fps/60Hz its all silky smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

5. Maug

Maug Registered

Movies look smooth at 24FPs because of motion blur, which is poorly made in video games, and long exposure time.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I read that last line and was about to point out... exactly what your link pointed out :)

Re: PC performance vs competitiveness. For sure fully smooth is better than not, but it'll affect different people to different extents, and for me it's a bit like minor setup adjustments: you can spend all your hours chasing a tweak here or there in the hope it'll level the playing field and give you that 2 seconds a lap you're missing (mirroring getting that $3000 wheel or pedals, or higher refresh monitor, or graphics card to get you from 95 to 105 fps) or you can spend hours actually driving and getting faster. When you're within a few tenths of the very fastest out there, sure, maybe try improving your gear - you might notice the difference then.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Even when using my old 60 Hz monitor, I still preferred having the fps at 120, and minimums of around 80-90. It just seemed slightly more direct with the car, had nothing to do with vision.

8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah for sure around that 80-90fps minimum is usually sweet in every sim.

Lesser demanding sims for mine seem to hang on better at lower fps though.

At lower levels, same fps a new gen. sim is more clunky feeling then say GTR2.... imo

Back to topic........

There is another thing how sharp would a driver in 1966 on that Italy Oval see ? .... I mean seriously texture on walls in perspiration soaked goggles ??? . lol

Maybe your cockpit view looking more like "tired bleary eyes " is more authentic and more difficult to drive.

Same as all those shooters people play you think Marines always get perfect vision in pitched battles, hardly. p

Looking at it "arse about" a smoother 144Hz is a just another type of aid (you can pick out lines better, smoother input ) ......... that some other drivers don't have.......... p lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014