Graphics improvements suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Nov 16, 2014.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

The graphics in rF2 are pretty good at this stage, however there is a minor improvement I think that can be implemented.

Reflections during daylight are good however at night, even when an object is lit, it's reflection is very dark as if it's not lit. This is including nightlights. Hope this can be addressed.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It would either cost performance or require lighting system to be rewritten from scratch. I don't think ISI is going to do it anytime soon.

3. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Saturation slider, please GOD a saturation slider!

4. pas74

pas74 Registered

Quote 111111111!

Inviato dal mio SM-T705 utilizzando Tapatalk

5. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I'll take one of those thanks.

6. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

DOF in replays would be nice.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes the entire night time graphics, rain graphics, and ESPECIALLY the night-time-at-the-same-time-as-rain graphics are just junk at the moment. Rain spray looks like individual cloud puffs from a 2004 game. Rain falling just looks like super, faint, but overly long grey streaks shooting downwards from the sky, the track hardly has all the crazy reflections you get on it when it's wet, the wet track looks simplified, there is still no actually water graphics hitting your car like rain hitting you windshield from a car in front or just general rain hitting your windshield.

From september 2010

[​IMG]

Yes, you read that correctly. September 2010, over 4 years ago.

8. batito

batito Registered

This is the famous effect called move like crabs

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You know what makes it even worse? That rain, and how it differs slifhtly in different areas of the windshield, and how the vision differs depending on how the rain is, looks pretty complex and extremely realistic. It actually looks pretty damn realistic, especially considering rF2 isn't know for it's graphics. It looks less flashy but extremely raw, realistic and complex/detailed (in true ISI fashion) than the pretty but over-"shiney" rain effects of some big budget games (for eg. codemasters F2 series). And I repeat, this pic is from over 4 years ago, that's the most startling part of all Sept 2010. CLEARLY this pic shows that the rF2 engine and the guys at ISI CLEARLY know their stuff, but for whatever reasons, haven't implemented it yet.

10. Ashes

Ashes Registered

Come on ISI - this would actually get me driving in the rain. And THIS would be a differentiating factor for sure.

11. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yes rain would be nice to have nailed down.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Rather then pray though p, for the time being tweak one of your default monitor profiles to suit.

Done that for 3 years.

13. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Heh, yeah, I'm aware the official line is that it's my monitor at fault, but really? :p

Even a cvar in the .JSON would be massively appreciated. :)

So what happened to those Rain fx? Looks brilliant.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Doubtful they would add a saturation slider, ISI is pretty confident their HDR saturates colors correct, there is even some discussion about this on rf2 website. With such slider added you would suddenly see lots of YT videos and screenshots with completely wrong saturation settings, which doesn't help marketing at all.

15. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

And over-saturated colours are a good advertisement?
    Or does every RF2 video on youtube tell the viewer they need to recalibrate their monitor, because every other game, video, website and graphic they've ever seen was undersaturated? o_O

Running a Honda BTCC race is like watching the Teletubbies on a broken TV

[​IMG]

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

So you know what it's like to watch on a good TV ?

Oh, right right, with the kids , if you say so.

lool p ;)

17. stonec

stonec Registered

There seems to be a mis-conception that the HDR or shaders in gm2 ‘over-saturate’ colors. The actual problem is the texture maps themselves, especially when they are not created for physically-based shading (this would apply to all rF1-era maps which have not been modified).

Some mods are oversaturated, because textures were not tweaked to fit rF2 HDR. Civic BTCC? I don't think it's anymore saturated than in real life. People often compare saturation to some broadcast cameras that filter out any color detail, when they should compare with real world or some high-quality images at least.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

19. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Ok dood, we get it, colour and saturation is 100% perfect, it's just all those people asking for a saturation slider to fix their broken monitors which by bizarre twist of fate work perfectly for every other game, video and graphic. :)

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

One pair of photos may show matching colors, another will show the opposite.

It just depends - if you get the right shot from rF2, everything will be fine. In some cases though, colors will look odd.

I took some measurements once or twice, when some color behaved oddly. For me, it was obvious that HDR is failing in some edge cases, not only affecting saturation but brightness of some car part.
    Once I even had one bumper that was partially in shadow, but HDR made the shadowed part blow out and become almost as bright as the half that was in sunlight. I might still have a screenshot somewhere.

So, no - I don't agree it's a misconception that HDR is to blame. I think it's true. HDR is also responsible for problems with near black pixels as recently discussed in other thread.