rFactor 2 engine and car sound. Room for improvement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Good to see the translator put umlauts in...XD

2. Joe

Joe Registered

ISI actually used original recording for Covette GT2! But seems to me they made worse (as for "gaming sound"). Glad to know this... anyhow.

3. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y98HzGwPzEE

I want sound like this.
    I wish ALL sims...not just Rf2, could get that transition between up and down shift changes optimized.
    There is so much going on inside the gearbox, not to mention the engine with it's ECU electronics, MAP, Pitot and various engine sensors.
    Clutch take up, unstable combustion through lean burn, rich overrun, etc... it all seems to get edited out of final production in sims.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wish the average human being wasn't so visual-biased. If it wasn't for the graphics war to make more money, we'd have such better audio.

It's about time the gaming industry put a hold on graphics improvement and shifted over to sound and physics for the next 10 years. Hell, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield 3 still use scripted AKA pre-animated damage and hardly anyone cares because it looks "shiney", but it absolutely isn't physics based at all, just fancy, B.S, pretty "artwork" and animations. Not to mention the overal physics have hardly progressed from first person shooters of literally 10 years ago.

GFX whores need to quit complaining because physics and sound whores are still living in 1999 when it comes to 99% of games.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

I suppose its cost vs reward for the devs. The experience of bf4 is not one that is realistic, so physics for them...well it just has to approximate what is seen irl. A highly realistic vehicle simulation not needed by those customers. Is there a crazy in depth bullet model? Shape of the bullet, aero forces, rotation speed, mushrooming of the bullet, impact calculations for different surfaces, and how all these different things relate to each other? Probably not, as that isn't required for those players. Does the bullet fly through the air, drops from gravity and does it stop when it hits appropriate surfaces, that's about all it needs.
    Something like arma though, you expect they try to cover things like that. They seem to focus more on the simulation side of things. Plus their fans would get pissy if they didn't, much like the hardcore sim racing guys would react if ISI focussed just on the looks/whatever.

Sound though, definitely in a lot of games is pretty poor. Up until a few months back I had a X-Fi card that would do EAX, in my sim pc which has a few other games on. This tech was around years ago, and it got more features added to it over time. EAX stood for environmental audio effects or something like that.
    For me it added a huge amount to the sound in games. Doom3 was the biggest impact I found with it. It sounded so great, I may even makes a small vid of it. Big caverns were all echoey, tight closed off crawlspaces were very direct sounding, I felt it did a huge amount for the atmosphere.

But then I think Vista came along, and support for it disappeared. You had to use a separate program to bring back the functionality. But of course, I noticed less and less games with the EAX tags, and seemingly not replacing it with better technology.

And then the BFG version of Doom 3 came out. I got it in a big games pack, and was curious to see what it was like. Get into it though and holy crap, it sounded terrible to what I remembered. Everything just sounded like it was wav clips being played straight into my ears. Of course, EAX was removed from the game. Went and fired up other pc (Still with an EAX card in it XD) and launched my still installed original Doom3, wow what a difference. It was pretty staggering. Bioshock was another goodie for EAX...

Now, EAX probably disappeared as it was Creative's tech and you needed a creative card to use it. I certainly get that. But i would have thought that something else would have appeared or that the studios would work to get the same sound feel. It's starting to get better in games now, but it's like they've only just got back to where they were 10 years ago.

Assetto Corsa's new sound engine does sound brilliant, and is a great step forward in sims. I just hope all these things continue to push forwards.

Edit: This kinda gives you an idea. Combined with some better gun sounds and creepier zombie sounds, man it was pretty sketchy XD

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yup, EAX was great. I don't even understand why you need a fancy carx to do it, can't a CPU just process that on it's own like it does with a million other things?

7. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah maybe you could. I know the argument was the dedicated card can do a bunch of processing to the sounds before it heads out the jacks saving process power on the cpu.
    Still, maybe it was a fair bit of processing to try and emulate, I dunno.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's just weird though, with all the power of the CPUs...I understand the soundcard itself due to the components like good quality/sounding op-amps, DACS, headphone amps, etc. etc., but the whole audio processing thing? Why can't a game just program in the EAX effects itself into the actual game, why does it need special EAX hardware processors? I must be oversimplifying and not understanding something major.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's just weird though, with all the power of the CPUs...I understand the soundcard itself due to the components like good quality/sounding op-amps, DACS, headphone amps, etc. etc., but the whole audio processing thing? Why can't a game just program in the EAX effects itself into the actual game, why does it need special EAX hardware processors? Not to mention, if it's all done in-game then anyone can experience the effects, plus, it wouldn't matter if you were using a post Win XP OS, because it's all from in-game and that's it... I must be oversimplifying and not understanding something major here. It just seems so simple to me, do exactly what EAX did before, but instead of relying on someone to own an EAX soundcard, just build it into your game engine (sound engine) and like all the other sound effects and engines we have in games today, they just run off your CPU, regardless of your OS, whether you have a soundcard or not, etc. etc. I must really be missing something here.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh there are a fair few games that are doing that kind of stuff now, as part of their sound engine, no proprietary tech needed. It's just weird it took this long for these things to really come back into games. I do remember BF3 sounding fairly decent playing the singleplayer in terms of these environmental effects. I just remember the gun sounds being too quiet XD.

I really hope we see changes to rF2's sound engine in the next couple of years. Fingers crossed.

11. jjcook

jjcook Registered

Have you tried the lola t280 or 91 ferrari ...best sound atm imo....frightening

12. Joe

Joe Registered

Checked the AC engine sound on Ferraris, not quite yet, but better than rF2?
    how do you think?

Happy holiday!

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Engine sound now

You are ****ting me

and speed go drive pCSARS or ASC .............I mean honestly ? why put up with something bothers you that much ?

I do not get it ??? lmao

If I thought anything in RF2 sucked I would not drive it.

Oh I see ! ............ its' because rF2 drives better.

Ahhhh

:rolleyes: lool

You all full of it, just drive the frakkin' thing !!!

Servers are empty FFS !!!!@

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

Hi D. I'm not sure if you mean me but the sound doesn't bother me because it isn't that bad that it would destroy the whole driving experience at all. Of course some TrueAudio woudn't hurt anybody. :)

.....and i'm also driving AC from time to time and i for sure will buy pCars as well because me isn't biased and i have enough space on my hdd for all. ;)

....yes i agree rf2 drives the best atm, but they all have there strong and weak parts and as it seems by the comments in this thread they share dump sound. :)

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Why can't rF2 cars (and all race simulators cars actually) have those brutal sounds (pay attention when revving down mostly)

[video]https://youtu.be/xghu3LZoWMo[/video]

16. Heindrich

Heindrich Registered

Of the newer sims I have only played rFactor2. Compared to other engine sounds I have heard, I prefer ISI sounds:
    - Better loops. Less obvious repeating patterns.
    - Less clipping. (There shouldn't be any in my opinion.)
    - No obvious chorus effects when cross-fading between samples.
    - Often sound like in-car rather than exhaust.
    - Correct pitch. (Pitch test: Rev the engine at 6600 rpm. The sound should now be in harmony with A9 chord (A, C_sharp, E, G, B_natural). Or for example, if rpm is 5238, the sound should be in harmony with F9 chord (F, A, C, E_flat, G).

Generally ISI sounds are clean rather than wild. This is good in my opinion, because we are dealing with samples. Real time physical modeling sound synthesis could do wild sounds without sounding "canned".

One of my favourite ISI sounds is the Skip Barber. However, "SkipBarber_Sounds.mas" file is locked. I wonder, if it is still possible to use the sound for (say) ISI Clio Cup or EVE and Spark historic F3?

17. Heindrich

Heindrich Registered

18. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

Hello I found this video of Reiza in showing the result of his audios

I think isi should do similar work.

19. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

That is very realistic. I believe we are getting there.

I tweaked the sounds for both the gt40 and daytona cobra in rf1 in the historx mod and i am pleased with it. It sounds decent but ofcourse not fully realistic and i realize that. There is that brutal v8 rasp and distortion that i was after and i feel i got it mostly.

GT40
    https://streamable.com/lyfid?fbclid=IwAR0y9iYdkOlWDMyVt2YNVaAIwnIztpAUfrO82PKtw-Fn1H21WPkQBOCmM6Q

Daytona
    https://streamable.com/lyki9?fbclid=IwAR13j3fafa2CA70qLFjfUQC-q1oqseT30lbsjTfWkBQdOiBgZbCT3oklQ0A

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

man you are doing some epic necro lol

McKiernan, JimmyT and Lazza like this.