No DX12 for Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carlo, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Just came across this news which was not unexpected.

At a PDXLAN presentation earlier this month, AMD's Chief Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy said in reference to Windows 7 ...
    "One thing that's not going to happen to it is DX12. Yup, DX12 is not coming to Windows 7."

Source:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/directx-12-will-not-be-supported-by-windows-7/

UPDATE

Whoops! AMD has issued a statement saying that their Chief Scientist Richard Huddy had "misspoke" (geek code meaning he violated the NDA). In other words, he leaked something he shouldn't have.

Source:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-misspoke-saying-directx-12-won-t-work-with-win/1100-6423617/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yup, trying to force us to adopt Windows 10.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Windows 7 isn't even compatible with DX11.1, let alone DX11.2, let alone DX12. Move on bro :).

My Win 8.1 looks, acts, and feels just like Win 7, no apps crap, touchscreen U.I. crap, none of that garbage. If you actually spend a few hours of one single day to do this, then you will realise 8.x is just fine, however it seems 90% of users would rather have an inferior, slower, less optimized, and possibly less secure OS because they can't spend a couple hours of one single day to click some boxes and change some settings. It really is one of the most, if not the most, ridiculous things I've seen from the general public/consumers in the history of all/any kind of PC software.

I hate all these big, powerful, controlling corporations, but I must admit (and I hate admitting this), but this one time, and possibly the only time, "the people" where actually in the wrong.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I played with 8, not 8.1, and some things were sped up but the interface was atrocious. I understand trying to package things into shortcuts but we have keyboards and mice, not a resource-less tablet. So yes, save your apocalyptic user messages to yourself.

This will teach me not to click "Show post anyway".

5. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

I am happy with 7 64 bit for now, but will give 10 a go, and DX 12 :)

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Where did you hide DD ?

p

I don't know whether to do 8.1 or 10 tonight.

Decisions decisions

lol

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think Spinelli made a valid point. 8 (no, not 8.1) is different, yes, but if you want you can get a lot of what you don't like pretty much hidden and disabled.

The thing is when you stop thinking about the Start menu being essential even the whole metro thing isn't that bad - the way apps behave (and the way you interact with them) is a bit weird when it's not on a touchscreen, but you can do just about everything you already do without touching apps at all. 8.1 has improved the situation for those extremely unhappy and I gather 10 will do even more, but surely 90+% of the problems people have with 8/8.1 is because it's different. Had the same thing with Vista/7 from XP (to a lesser extent), had the same thing going to Win95 when the Start menu was introduced.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm not sure if that was directsd towards me, but if it was, then try reading my post again.

9. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Spinelli maybe you have point here, but the thing is Windows 8 and above is better so little over windows 7, that for average user there is no breakdeal difference. So Windows 8 maybe is better but problem is, that this is only maybe 5%. I'l be glad to update from windows 7 to (for example) windows 10 now if they will not force people with such a miserable tricks, which only tell they are convinced their new windows 10 are not enough advanced and fresh over windows 7 in core capabilities for average user, so they come with tricks wich will force people to do somethink they should do with their work and good results. And that is really the thing i hate. Well original windows 7 will stay and i will just make dual boot with cracked windows 10. Problem solved. Like you treat me i will treat you is my motto. You wan't to force me i will "crack" you, you give me new product which really is advance over previous releases(according to average user not pro) with reasonable priced upgrades and i will buy.

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

On my professional laptop I was able to tweak Win 8.1 to look like and behave exactly like my Win 7 (adding Classic Shell for example, I never see the touch screen look like menu with Win8 apps and arrive directly in desktop ). The fact I don't upgrade my own personall gaming machine at home it's just a money question. Too expensive for me for now. Will see what they propose from Win 7 to Win 10... I prefer right now save money to upgrade my old GTX670 ;)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Of course. If you already have Win 7, then it's not a big deal at all if you don't go to Win 8.x (well except for certain games which take advantage of the better multithreading capabilities of Win 8.x, and for later DX versions). So I completely agree with you. However, if you have Win XP or, god forbid, something earlier, then it makes no sense to choose Win 7 over Win 8.x (or soon 10, most likely). But yes, I agree, if you already have 7, then for most people there is no need to go to 8.x.

12. Connor Caple

Connor Caple Registered

Windows 10 works reasonably well, but is unsupported by ALL games manufacturers at least until it releases next summer.

This means that any issue you may have, you are on your own. My rF2 won't start fullscreen, no matter what I do, so it has to run windowed. ISI probably haven't touched the beta Windows 10 so I'm not expecting help there and other users saying "It works fine on mine" are no help at all.

Windows 8 is no improvement over windows 7 whatever others might tell you. The fact that you can make it look like Windows 7 after an hour or more of fiddling just shows, imho, that you should have bought Windows 7 in the first place. ;)

I expect more and more users across forums hit the 'add to ignore list' on the Windows 8/8.1 advocates because we're tired of the opinions that they try to pass off as facts while the game-making industry disagrees with them.

I am helping MS with Windows 10 beta-testing, like I did for Windows 8, but they didn't listen last time so my hopes are not high. :(

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Am I missing something here? Why is this info coming from some big wig at AMD and not Microsoft?

On a side note, LOL @ the guy who keeps reminding people they are on his ignore list.

14. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I don't think MS will announce anything re DX12 and Win 7 until after January. That way they can say support has ended on Win 7 and no new features will be added. Back-porting, with the exception of IE, is something that MS doesn't generally do.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Win 8 DX12 port either.

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm pretty sure Win 7 is done @ DX 11.0, Win 8.x @ DX 11.2, Win 10 @ DX 12.0+ (meaning beyond DX 12.0)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  16. stonec

stonec Registered

Here are some Windows 8 improvements which are very obvious to me:

- Better multi-screen support (very important for me)
    - Better support for high-DPI screens (automatically adjusts text/icons to sensible size on my high-density laptop screen)
    - Aero is more efficient/responsive due to less fancy effects, important if you run games in windowed mode
    - Much more useful task manager
    - Much quicker boot

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not to mention
    - generally more "snappy"
    - better multi-threading (pretty much every CPU has more than 1 thread nowadays whether it's a real core or hyperthreaded)
    - DX 11.1 and 11.2
    - apparently more secure (but who really knows about this one)

Darn, sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Have you tried starting rF2 in compatibility mode? I remember I had to do that with GT Legends in order to get it to work with Win 8.x. Try that; try compatibility XP, 7, 8, and different versions of each (service packs). Also, set it to start in administrator mode while your at it (should be the same menu/screen compatibility mode).

18. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Some of my gripes with Win 8 ...

1) Has useless, pre-installed crapware "apps" (Weather? Really?)
    2) Has access to the Windows Store where this crapware resides
    3) Full screen, non-windowed "apps" - just plain stupid on a 25" monitor
    4) Insists on MS account; default should be local/domain account upon install
    5) No guarantee that all built-in spyware can be disabled easily (and there's a lot)
    6) Local/network storage should be default, not "Cloud"
    7) No Aero
    8) Tiles (Fisher-Price toy interface - looks like Win 3.1)
    9) No Start menu with all the capabilities of Win 7
    10) Mouse/kb should be the only first class citizen
    11) Needs search that by default only searches local machine
    12) Needs complete control of Win updates - no push ever
    13) "Libraries" need to be front and center
    14) Charms and all that tablet crap should not even be installed on desktop
    15) Crap fonts and whitespace scheme (Office) make things hard to read for old folks like me
    16) Push buttons that don't look like buttons and lack of visual cues
    17) Windows backup and image creation should be available in the GUI
    18) No Media Center by default? Really? No DVD playback? Really?
    19) Hybrid hibernation (bad for SSDs/data integrity)

By "hybrid" hibernation, I mean that on shut-down, the kernal session and device driver state are saved to the file "hiberfil.sys" in the root directory. Windows 8 uses uses this "state" to restore the system on boot instead of doing a real "cold" boot. This is where the supposed boot speed (phony) comes from. When I shut down a machine, I want a complete shutdown.

View attachment 14905

I'm assuming that "powercfg -h" probably works like Win 7 (disables hibernation crap). Haven't tried it on my Win 2012 test server yet.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

- Tiles, apps, crapware, full-screen windowed stuff, and all that crap - disabled (in like, I don't know 5 minutes? Ok I'm exaggerating, but seriously, it can all be done in an hour, man.)
    - Windows store? Disabled
    - No start menu like Win 7? I had one within LITERALLY 2-3 minutes.
    - MS account? Negative, I have nothing signed-up and nothing logged in to any MS account, or any account, PERIOD.
    - Hibernation-file shutdown (hiberfile.sys)? Again, DISABLED!
    - Charms? Disabled.
    - Not sure what you mean by "needs complete control of Win updates" - I have auto-updates absolutely, 100% fully disabled and I manually search for updates myself and choose what I want to install and not install EXACTLY like with Win 7, so I have no idea what you mean there.
    - Local network storage on a "cloud"? Dude, there's no "cloud" storage crap unless you choose to do so.

90% of your gripes are nonsense, absolute nonsense. This is EXACTLY the reason why a superior OS got destroyed. You know there are things called options and settings right?

[HR][/HR]
    The following videos are mostly about making Win 8.x "feel" like Win 7

- skip to 5:00 mins

- skip to 4:00 mins

- skip to 7:00 mins

20. RJames

RJames Registered

Running 8.1 on both this main machine and laptop, was running 8 previously on this machine and 8.1 although visually very little changed felt like a big update in itself.

I've absolutely no issues running modern software or games and get great performance. Certainly on par to when it ran Windows 7.

As others have mentioned, if you "want" it to behave like Windows 7 you can certainly spend a short time tweaking it to do so. I've personally left the metro stuff but just went through and uninstalled/disabled anything that's not of personal use to me (as i've always done on all OS).

Love it or hate it, its the way windows has evolved and sooner or later your be forced onboard the train.