Launcher won't start again after closing- build 880

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by badandyhtc, Nov 12, 2014.

1. badandyhtc

badandyhtc Registered

I just purchased RF2 this weekend with the promo pricing.
    A year ago with a different machine I had tested RF2 with the demo and had this exact same problem
    I can launch and run RF2 just fine the first time, after I close the launcher it will not start again. the process starts and you can see it running in task manager but the window never shows.
    I have to reboot the computer before the launcher will come up again

I have disabled firewall, microsoft security essentials, user account control is off, dep is off, no other security software running
    tried running the launcher in xp compatbility mode, right-clicking and run as administrator
    I've even tried using a command that flushes inactive processes from RAM thinking something was stuck open, but no change.
    I've uninstalled RF2 several times, deleted hklm\software\rfactor2 registry keys manually, deleted the program directory and the data directory for rf2
    initially I had installed the demo to purchase RF2, I since uninstalled and reinstalled the core lite version
    its installed to c:\rfactor2 to avoid any virtualization issues, data directory is the same.

launches fine as long as I reboot the PC first... extremely frustrating. leaving the launcher open 24/7 or rebooting every time I want to play is kind of unacceptable, I use this machine for other games besides rfactor2. Kind of regretting spending the money on it since support seems to be ignoring me too.

using build 880

my system specs are:
    win7 pro sp1 64-bit
    i5 2.8ghz
    4gb ram
    256gb SSD Raid 0
    using a conventional HD for windows temp variables
    asus radeon r9 290

2. bbel

bbel Registered

Hi,
    same problem here.
    Do you use RadeonPro ?
    If yes: I close RP before open RF2 launcher. If i does not start stop process "launcher RF" in task manager and start again without RadeoPro.
    After laucher is ok you can open RP and choose "RF2" in favorite to be shure that RP is in work for RF2.
    I have 2 RF2 installs and i don't have to restart PC with this way.
    Perhaps other programs could stop RF2 launcher to work.

3. badandyhtc

badandyhtc Registered

I do use radeon pro, although I had disabled API and process monitoring for radeon pro which usually works when its causing a problem. I will try shutting down radeon pro next time and see if that helps. normally when I find an incompatible application, I add it to the radeon pro applications list and then disable monitoring for that program so i don't have to shut down radeon pro. I believe radeon pro also runs a windows service, may have to try stopping that if closing radeon pro doesn't work.

It's just so weird that it lets it run the launcher the first time without any problems. why would it cause a problem simply by closing the launcher and trying to reopen it.. I don't even have to play, just open the launcher, close it and its broken.

Thanks for your input

4. badandyhtc

badandyhtc Registered

That seems to be the cause. Initially after I exited radeon pro, it still didn't work. I stopped the radeon pro support service and then it started working.
    even with process monitoring disabled, and adding the rf2 laucher exe to the applications list and disabling api & process monitoring for the rf2 launcher, radeon pro is still causing a problem with it launching.

I guess I will just have to use your method of exiting radeon pro completely before launching RF 2. what a strange issue, since like I said, it works the first time after a reboot even with radeon pro running