LCD Screen buying advises

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Juergen-BY, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hi Guys,

I`m on the way to rebuild my Racing PC. Therefore i have also planed to buy a new LCD Screen. At the moment i`m using a 27" Ilyama Screen (PLB2712HDS) with 1920x1080 px. The point why i`m thinking about to buy a new one, is the resolution. I believe with a better resolution (3840x2160) i could see ingame the mirror on the right side too? Is that something complete wrong or not? Just to telll you, Triple isn`t possible because of missing space. Budget could be around 500-600 EUR.

This is the hardware i`m using:

Core i7-5820K, Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME, EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked, PS Dark Power Pro 10 1000W, RAM 16 GB DDR4-2133, 2 Samsung SDD`s, Win8Pro 64Bit

At the moment i`m looking for a ProLite B2888UHSU-B1 but it would be nice to get some advises & informations. TN Panel is fine for me, i`m sitting in front of the screen ;-)

2. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

The resolution you quoted is still 16.9 but 4k.
    You will not see the mirrors any better than you do now. 4k is very hard to run also, you would need at least another 980

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

At the moment i`m running a 27" with 1920x1080 px. If i replace the Screen with a LCD with 3840x2160 resolution, i got the double resolution in the width, right? If i have the double resolution, there are double px to show of the games content, right? If so, why i can`t see the mirrors ont the right side? Please help ;-)

4. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Well the resolution in x and y direction is going to be doubled and therefore the aspect ratio is the same 16:9. If you trying to get a wider screen to see more from the side mirrors you either need to go to a multiple monitor setup or 21:9.

This in fact would increase the x resolution relativ to the y resolution.

Beeing x the width of the screen and y the height

Sent with Tapatalk

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  6. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Both screens are from LG (34" monitors). A quick comparison on the LG website shows that the 34UM95 has higher resolution, higher color depth (more colors) and higher dynamic contrast.

If the price is o.k and your graphics card can do the high resolution 3.440 x 1.440 @ 60 Hz with at least 60 FPS i would go for the 34UM95.

If you buy one of them It would be great if you provide your first hand experience.

Sent with Tapatalk

7. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I bought one on Thursday, great monitor with issues

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thats the problem, i`m afraid my graphics card (GTX980) can`t handle the 4k with proper (60+) FPS...

@oHOWEo: did you tried some other e.g. GT Cars? Could you see the right hand mirror?

9. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

I could definitely see out of one side window with 35ish fov. Much better than my 16:10 monitor. Im having issues with the monitor turning on with the pc, sometimes it's fine other it say no signal. Really annoying

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

By any chance, did you installed the latest Nvidia Update (344.80)?

11. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

What wait no, brb

Still showing 344.75, is .80 a beta?

12. MJP

MJP Registered

You could use the DSR feature in the Nvidia Control Panel to gauge how your card can handle higher resolutions like 4K. I imagine your 980 should handle the 2560x1080 monitor just fine but for the 3440x1440 the DSR scalers fall inbetween, 2.25x not being quite enough and 3.00x being too many.

As for the view these 21:9 monitors give you could use windowed mode and a custom resolution in your 'config.ini' that fits your current monitor, say 1680x720. Obviously it's a bit low-res but will give you an idea of how much extra you could see.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+1

Thought this was made obvious in discussion we had, although no one wanted to carry one with it so maybe we had, there would be more references about the forum to see.

Really 4K I have seen tested in any game do the testers say it is great, maybe good or okay and half their games probably average to unplayable .

And the thing is console ports and shooters are usually smoother to play at lower fps.

Like say at 4K in a shooter you could spin a round a bit slower to limit stutter and stuff.
    ............. but in a sim you can't just slow down or turn the wheel slower. :)

The thing that bugs me about Hi end gear / monitors is what is the use if you don't run capped at 120Hz or 144Hz with inspector hex edit ( or whatever) with lightboost gsync .......and all that stuff and the best latency ?

We are talking about rF2 ain't we not BF4. ;)

I would think 5GHz extreme processor and dual or triple GTX980Ti would be the "4K order of the day"

Even then you would need to run 3D to get good scaling ........probably.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  15. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Which one did you buy?

Sent with Tapatalk

16. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

lG 34UM95 it appears from other experience that the supplied display port cable might not be up to snuff, Im hoping this is whats causing the wake issue. I've ordered a display port certified cable, finger's crossed. Really want to keep this monitor. It's like having a really good looking girlfriend, you let a lot of s*it slide lol

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

At the moment I`m using a DVI Cable, but i want to change this to DP. Wich cable i should buy? There are so many different Cables, with very big differents pricewise. It goes from 7 EUR up to 170 EUR....Any advises?

18. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Annother customer on Amazon.de reported some flickering problems with the 3 meter cable. I ordered the 2 meter now, wich is long enough for me. Thanks for the advise.

//Edit: http://www.amazon.de/Accell-B088C-0...ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

//Edit2: it seems, the most problem is the pin 20, wich have tension on some cables. This is for mobile devices only and should not used for standard pc applications/devices.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  20. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

Ive been messing with the display port cable all day, In the end I thought **** it and connected via HDMI, well guess what.... full native resolution at 60hz 32 bit colour.... what the hell! All problems solved!!!!!