CPU buying advice

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Lumos309, Nov 6, 2014.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sounds good to me Spin. :)

H97 get a decent midrange have a look around and show us what you find available your way.

If you ambient temperature is above air conditioning levels I would get a Hyper Evo or similar cooler.

2. Lumos309

Lumos309 Registered

I'm currently thinking of getting the Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H. Am I correct in saying that an mATX board and case are fine as long as I don't plan on SLI-ing, and can handle things like the largest single GPUs out there (e.g. GTX 980)? Looking to future proof my build for when I upgrade to a triple monitor setup.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You are correct.

The glaring difference between the ATX and M versions is more PCI expansion slots obviously. ;)

The H97 has Realtek ALC1150 ( slightly better clarity )
    The H97M has Realtek ALC887

The H97 has a "M2" sata port, unless you use one of these it is irrelevant.
    [​IMG]

There are a few proviso's I usually meet to use a micro board, good ambient temperatures and good case cooling.

ie: ATX will absorb heat better overclocking etc. ( but you not overclocking )

Apart from those points the M version is just as good in every facet.

Flipside it is not much more to pay for the ATX version which gives you more room for wiring and parts to breathe and the added features.

P.S. Doh .......I forget another important consideration, and one you asked........ the video card.

Personally I prefer a ATX for the extra depth and 9 stands vs 6 stands to support size and weight of big GPU. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014