[REL] Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

This is yet another oversight on my part and yet again due to lack of testers or rather testers that actually did testing. What happened is basically with RF1 I would always create my timing meshes right before the aiw basically when the track is nearly finished. With RF2 you have to have timing meshes to even load your track to begin with. So basically I never readjsuted the width of the meshes to fit the walls after, I only spun them around for the reverse layout. The timing mesh for pit entry is over extended to the edge of the sand, so if your not in the sand you are safe, it doesn't affect the reverse layout being it is the pit exit object in that case. The object on the other end of pit road is fine. This will be fixed in the future update but in order to avoid patching right after the last update I don't see it happening now. So for now, just avoid going that far wide at that point, the grass is fine, sand not at that point. Going wide where the curb is placed is fine as long as you get it back on track before where the guardrail bends back toward the track.

2. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

LOL. That must be it. Now you tell me this I understand why the Officials were looking at me badly during all session :p

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have no concern as a purchaser (of a very nice little track) if this issue and the flashing textures on the pit building and a few other small problems are wrapped-up in a "final" update in the coming weeks. We know you didn't have a proper testing program. But they do need to be addressed given that this is a commercial release.

4. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

ok, little update on things. I'm a little bit in flux on what project I am going with next as sales for Gingerman, well they are somewhat below expectations. I understand its not a super popular track by any means, it was made more as a appetizer or an example to try to pull in some crowd funding for future project. Basically I need funds in order to be able to produce more tracks and specially more complex ones and put in more detail. Unless things improve from how they are I can likely at least do one more track but it may have to go on the back burner at some point while I try to survive. The coming months are going to be challenging for sure, not saying I am giving this up by any means but results so far aren't promising. I do however appreciate everyone who has supported my thus far.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Hey cyrus, sorry to hear things aren`t going as you expected...

I`ve not purchased Gingerman yet as I`m not at home atm where my sim rig is but will definitely be purchasing when I`m home in a week or two. I know it`s only one purchase and that`s not going to make much difference to your situation but just thought I`d say anyway.

I hope things improve for you as from the good reports I`ve read from those that have purchased Gingerman and the videos I`ve seen, it`s a great piece of work.

Cheers.

tj. :)

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Before starting a new track, you need to polish the existing one. I bought it assuming there would be a commitment to do it properly. It's 98% of the way there, so step 1 is to take it to 100%. That is important as a work ethic issue whether you hope to do more tracks or not--it will affect anything you do going forward.

Then, think carefully about the amount of work involved in a more traditional track versus this one. Since you are not a modeller at heart, I would estimate the number of hours required to be 5 to 10 times as much as for this track. Will sales be correspondingly higher? I doubt it unless it is an outstanding 100% finished product. You won't know whether you have that until it's too late when you have already expended the effort.

If you are going to do another track, let me recommend doing one slightly more complex than Gingerman so you don't bite off more than you can chew. You have to walk before you can run. Only you know if you have the stamina to get up to running speed some day.

And unlike some on here who will encourage anything anywhere anytime to get more tracks, I also think you need to re-evaluate whether this is a viable money-making venture. Payware to offset a few costs or to help finance a hobby--maybe. Payware to make a living--impossible if it's rF2 (low popularity title and apparently the most difficult to mod for) and you are learning as you go. The track and car modders capable of earning a living from this that are showcasing their talents fall into one of two categories: incredibly talented hobbyists who don't need money because they have the luxury of time and are willing to share their good fortune with the rest of us, and, incredibly talented professionals who are building a portfolio that demonstrates their talents to prospective employers. If you are not in either of these two categories, be cautious of the opportunity cost to yourself--what other things could you be doing that might ultimately be better for your long-term looking after yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I think that you should give it one more try. I'm sure that track like Road America, Ol Mugello... Will much more successful in term of sales, so don't give up and give it a go for a second round with a popular track!

8. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I basically fell into both the types you mentioned at some point, to begin with the modder and later the professional building a portfolio. Problem is none of the professional jobs held out for long, everyone of them were very pleased with my work but once they are done with you they are just done. Not sure what you mean by modeller at heart, it basically boils down to probably that I enjoy modeling roads and terrain a lot more than buildings and such though I've been told before that I am actually better at modeling that kind of stuff than I give myself credit for I just tend to lack either confidence in it or as mentioned enthusiasm in that. I tend to spend more time paying attention to the detail of the road than detail of other things but I do strive for an overall good image quality.

Gingerman will be 100% eventually but the final update is going to be bigger than just a few week update. My intention is to progressively continue to work on it on the side for the next couple months, sort of take the pressure off and just have fun adding in more and more detail. Usually the best modded tracks tend to be ones that have had a year or more spent on them, obviously its impossible to work that long on tracks and make any money as they are just not likely to sell enough. Only something like Lemans itself would pay for itself most likely and even then it would probably have to be split between sells on RF2 and AC. However making a track in months, but then continue to polish it for more months so as to not get burnt out on another project is more manageable. Do keep in mind that certain parts of development time will go down the more tracks I make, as I build up reusable resources and starting cutting out learning time, like now I can create reflections, real road, etc a lot quicker than I did with Gingerman just by knowing what I need to do beforehand.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sounds like you have thought long and hard about the issues--that's what counts. And thanks for confirming you will continue to tinker with and eventually finish Gingerman. I am of the belief that it's better to have multiple updates, even if they are small, than waiting, but it's up to you. As you know, some issues are very difficult or impossible to test on your own, so you might think you have fixed the flashing textures or the weird shadow or the FFB issue, but then some other combination of hardware that you don't have throws you a curve. With little updates you get feedback and eventually resolve all the issues with less pressure.

My final piece of advice is to remember that there is a direct relationship between the popularity of a track and the lack of likelihood you would ever be able to sell it commercially. Any track like LeMans or the Ring or to be frank, any track more than 10% of us have already heard of, will never allow commercial sales from an unlicensed source. Even giving it away, though much less legally risky, could still be prevented if the track owners want to sell the rights to a console game (with exclusivity). So if your dream is to recreate a famous track and make money from it due to higher sales, think again. The only way to fly under the radar legally is to keep things strictly non-commercial and "hobby."

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Sorry I didn't work out. Ironically, this is the challenge with pay mods. If a modder works out of passion and on the side as a hobby and take his time allowing months to complete then it works out because the passion. Professionally? Nope. By the way I did not buy this track and won't buy any tracks or mods because I have enough and there are more coming for free. Also, maintenance is always going to be a problem especially with rF2 still in development. Also, a payware track should equal ISI standards and they are now planning to include varied real road with tracks etc. Best of luck to you finding your way in future endeavors and keep in mind career and industry changes are often inevitable and we have to move on when the realities set in.

11. Jiisuki

Jiisuki Registered

Got the track last night. Great fun! I'm hoping to see more quality tracks coming, and I'll happily pay for them! :)

12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Great track, raced here with Pitlanes tonight in the Clio Cup, really suits those cars, hard to pass and you get some great side by side action. Just a shame about the last corner penalty bug it caught a few out that ran wide there.

13. rhamm

rhamm Registered

This track was definitely made for the Clios. I've had a lot of fun racing this track with them.

14. matf1

matf1 Registered

It grows on you, this track and its beautiful rendition. I've more than 100 tracks installed and this one keeps on intriguing me. The historic touring cars, while not pretty yet are the incredible around here.
    It has a similar feeling or style as Putnam, so any small/mid sized car should be a blast.

AI is also first rate, so James, I do so hope you continue as you have amazing skill and I want more :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I feel the same. :)

16. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I was doing some races on the reverse long version of the track and got black flagged several times because I passed cars on the inside of turn 1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. sg333

sg333 Registered

The bug for the final turn that gives you a pit lane speeding penalty really needs to be sorted. Especially for a payware track.

18. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Agree. I had never encountered this problem until my league went there and the issue was noted to me. Nothing we could really do on the day of the races, I just put up a warning message telling people to exercise caution in that area.

Also, I included it in both my leagues as James commented sales were not what he expected. I really hope it generated a few as that was my intention.

Some people didn't like the track (the circuit itself) but all commented on the great quality of the mod, so good work. Just please fix this final corner issue mate :)

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1 and a few other small flickering texture issues. This is a terrific little club circuit with great graphics and AI. A crying shame if it doesn't get polished to a proper v1.0--and that would be true even if we didn't have to pay for it.

20. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Fixing the final corner bug for the clockwise layouts is easy really, just unlike the old days I can't just pop a gmt on here and say there is a temp fix, it doesn't really work like that anymore. The flickering issue is going to take some more work, I'm not sure why it bugs out as much as it does, even if I separate objects by inches the buildings still having z-fighting when you get far enough away. So while tweaking on the buildings I can make it better but not fix it, the only total fix is adjusting the way the buildings are modeled entirely which confuses me considering I really didn't think the way I handled them to be that wrong.

Meanwhile things have been a bit tough lately as a whole, lot of worries on my mind and such. However my birthday went ok recently and Gingerman Raceway itself posted about my track on their facebook page which generated some more attention which is all a good thing and its good to see a track actually get involved in something like this. Sorry for being so quiet lately, I've just had me reasons, I assure you I will get Gingerman fixed up will just be a little while longer. If there are leagues running the track and the timing bug is really bothering you I can possible work out a small patch installer to get you by while I continue to work on things. Otherwise the reverse layout is an option as well. On that note though the person mentioning being black flagged passing on the inside of the first corner on the reverse layout confuses me a bit considering I don't know how that could happen unless you are cutting the grass or you are passing during a formation lap but I will look into that.