How to get a proper dark night?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gorgias1976, Nov 1, 2014.

1. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

That's interesting. I just didn't reload the track after changing the HDR profile. I must try and see if that makes a difference.

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I have that instruction on my front page of my Nords thread.

Yeah, I would not mind this bug fixed myself, at the moment the trees are all purple at night :p. Not so good when I'm trying to make the 24 hour layout. I get the white road too.

3. McFlex

McFlex Registered

So do we have to bug report that or is it a known issue?

4. tjc

tjc Registered

It`s definitely a known issue as I and others have brought it up before, I`ve even mentioned this directly to the devs but was told that I needed to calibrate my monitor haha... :eek:

By all means bug report it though, it can`t hurt. :)

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

[​IMG]

6. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

no HDR at night looks 500% better :rolleyes: but here we are 3 years later same thread. lol

8. willz

willz Registered

what i find interesting is when you`ve turned the headlights off the stars went out, dont really think thats supposed to happen

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

You only need to open up a screenshot in some graphics program to understand what's happening.

If you look at RGB values on those "oily" areas, you will quickly realize that there is a big gap in precision. Values go from (0,0,0) suddenly to like (0,10,0) and then to (10,10,0). Sometimes you see a value of 5, sometimes a value of 1 (just examples), but in general you will notice that there are only a few combinations of RGB values produced by rF2 in these areas. This observation alone leads to conclusion that there is some loss of precision. Otherwise we would observe higher diversity of RGB values and more smooth transitions.

We could calibrate our monitors to hide this flaw or we could calibrate our monitors to exaggerate this flaw, but RGB numbers are there in image produced by game engine.

I'm not sure if this can be easily solved or not. But at least I'd like this issue to be acknowledged. Otherwise we will have to be good citizens and keep reporting it :p

My bet is still on color conversion or perhaps some kind of luminance offset used somewhere inside HDR pipeline. Just my educated guesses based on symptoms.

10. Some1

Some1 Registered

+1

I have a hard time finding similar topics of the same problem in other software on google. Surely, somebody must have had the same issue in the past.. perhaps I'm not searching with the right terms...

11. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Proper dark night?
    [​IMG]

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I wouldn't be so sure :)
    Some issues are just specific to individual HDR implementations.

I remember some games having white blowouts at times. And these were top selling games you could buy in a store. I didn't see many forum discussions on this subject, though. Seems like people accepted this just to be part of game's graphics features or something :)
    In comparison, the issue we're having in rF2 is minor, since it's not an obstacle, just oddity. Personally I don't mind it being down on ISI's priority list, but it's a bit disappointing to see it being dismissed as monitor calibration issue.

:D

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Well it's an obstacle. It doesn't forbid night racing at all but it's no fun to drive at night when your whole cockpit is filled with these oily-purple patches. Sure I made it less visible with some tricks (however I moved my calibration window away from my ideal sweetspot and that already should ring an alarm that sth isn't quite right if I had to do that to fix the problem).

There are other much bigger issues that goes along with night racing like iluminated track surface which is milky when HDR is on etc. I can guarantee that when all these bugs, issues are fixed we are going to see a lot more night races and I'm gonna be driving in them. Positive.

Right now... I have this major sigh and meh feeling when someone proposes a night race. It's purely down to these issues :)

I'm very patient person so I don't mind waiting. If someone from ISI comes here and says: "Yeah, we think it's an issue and it needs to be fixed but it won't be for some time. So brace yourself for a long wait." I would respond: "No problem, I can wait. Take your time".

It's just a matter of actually knowing that it will be fixed one day or another rather than fixing it right here and right now :p

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

What you see on the pics in the OP are the spec maps become illuminated at night. The material settings at Tiger Moth are stronger (much better in my opinion) than that what we normally see. The problem is the virtual light source at night (moon?) which has a strange effect on the specular reflections. If you look at the scene from a different angle it looks normal. There are some HDR settings for direct and ambient moon light (MoonTransLum and MoonScatrLum), but they don't work any more.

The oily patches are in my opinion a tone mapper issue. Maybe it has something to do with the negative black point setting at night with the automated profile. Another reason why night looks a bit strange in HDR is the pitch black sky at all times. I can't believe that a track like Sao Paulo (near a major city) has such a dark sky. The solution is "light pollution" and you can find it in the the devmode weather settings since build 049 (and it works like a charm), but it has, like many other features (wind and crowd motion, knock knock ;)), never found it's way into the sim part.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I think we're onto something here :)

Every offset in calculations hurts precision for near zero values.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Interesting post Tosch...

Let`s hope we are onto something here K.

:)

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Can still see the purple/green "oily" patches in your screen D I`m afraid...

On the steering wheel and another couple of places.

Sorry and all that :p

19. Emery

Emery Registered

It's like the steering wheel is reflecting the car color.

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Ok, sorry for using your screen as an example here D, hope you don`t mind mate but I`ve upped the levels a lot to show the green/purple "oily" patches that appear with HDR on many screens/videos. It also proves it`s not just my monitor or other peoples monitors that need calibrated.

It`s a HDR problem with the near black pixels in rf2...

[​IMG]

They`re all over the steering wheel and on other parts of the car. Also on the side of the track in places too...

This needs addressed.

(Sorry to keep banging on about this ISI but it is a problem and it`s not fixed purely by monitor calibration)

If I keep this up I could get the ban hammer lol :p

(Enlarge the pic when you click on it and get to Photobucket to see it full size)