GetMod doesn't work

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Ansgar13, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Hi! I've searched a lot but found nothing at this big forum! ;-)

Problem is, that on our Webserver the GetMod Feature deos not work. There is the message "Mod could not be installed" The files are located at my dropbox and the link is put in the Fileinformation of every file. Its a websever and the Ports are completly open. If we download the files manually and install them with the Mod manager everything works fine. Only the GetMod does not work.

Thanks and Greetings

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

GetMod is a little more complex than simply putting a DB link in the URL field when packaging a component. The game appends ?sig=<sig> to the end of the URL which will break the DB URL. So you have to have a web service that understands the ?sig=<sig> and can then lookup the sig in a database to retrieve the actual Dropbox URL and then do a redirect.

I build a service for doing this and then made an app for registering download URLs. You don't even have to repack the components to make it work.

Check out my tool here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19702-GetMod-Manager?p=271771&viewfull=1#post271771

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Also double check if another instance of rf2 isn't still running in the background. you'll get this error as well if it does.

4. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Funny, Noel, i did it with your Tool, but it doesn't work! I still get "Mod downloading error", I watched the Tutorial also.....does it matter of there is a Https or a http adress? I don't know where I make the mistake......

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Does your link end in ?dl=0 or something like that? If so, strip that off the end. Dropbox changed their URLs a little and I need to update my service to strip this junk automatically.

To answer your other question, older builds only supported HTTP but 798+ supports HTTPS and HTTP. So if you're on 798+ then you can use either.

Edit: Nevermind, I updated my service to handle these new URLs. No need to do anything on your end. You should be able to join just fine now. If not, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  6. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Yes my Build is 860 currently, is it nessesary to copy the links from the files in the Dropboxfolder on my PC or can I use the links that are given on the dropbox Website? I'll try it later, I just begin from Start of your Tutorial and do it step by step.....

7. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Is there anything to do with the Firewall of the Server?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just the two ports defined in your Multiplayer.JSON.

9. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Does it matter when the Dropbox App is not installed on the Server? I only put them into my Dropbox Account with out installing the App ob the PC, I only used the online Part......

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Links from the browser and the desktop software should work fine. GetMod is actually a two step process. The first step is where it downloads the vmod. The first step comes directly from your server and as Lazza said you need to check the HTTP port in the JSON and open that port. The second part of GetMod is where it downloads missing content. That part is completely independent of your server. All the communications would be between the client and Dropbox, or whatever host your using.

The links you had yesterday should work perfect in the game. I looked at your account and it looks fine. Are you still having problems connecting to your server or something?

11. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Sorry but I'm a damned idiot!!!!! It was just the Space in the Name of the Mod!!! Thank you so much for your efforts!!

12. Ansgar13

Ansgar13 Registered

Just one last question: where can I buy the BES Mod?

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That ain't a pay mod. It's harder to find because it is an illegal convert from another sim.

BTW, I sent you a PM incase you missed it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014