Baffled by press

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Promag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Another thing, it sort of looks hazy. But maybe this is by design. Isn't Brazil an extremely humid place? I live in Florida and there are days where there isn't a cloud in the sky but the humidity will be so high that everything more than 500 feet away has a haze.

Here is a shot of the real Interlagos:
    [​IMG]

And another with clear skies yet still low visibility:
    [​IMG]

IMO it looks nothing like GSC. Maybe what we have learned is don't go on a vacation to Interlagos?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  2. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I'm not sure, but rF2 in that video is not MAX settings, just "mostly" MAX settings as description says.

Edit: I'm talking about GSC and rF2 comparison video.

3. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Haze and humidity tend to tone down colors. rF2 does a decent job with this - adds to realism (to me at least).

Noel - Florida? I feel sorry for you.

4. Promag

Promag Registered

Another graphics comparison thread, it's splitting hairs. You can sell either one.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Hahaha.. Yeah, it's dreadful here. Clear skies and 73F today. Also low humidity for a change. ;)

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Swap with me. 47 F, 82 % humidity.

7. Carlo

Carlo Registered

52 F, 54% humidity. Tonight "strong damaging winds capable of downing power lines and trees and causing property damage".

Yeah, that's the reason I have 2 1500VA UPS online at all times.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

UPS's suck. It's all about running 3 HDDs (3x 1TB WD Velociraptors, pretty much the fastest consumer HDD, period) in RAID 0 for faster than SSD performance (in certain situations) and not running a UPS, and not performing regular backups

Live life - or rather PC-life - on the edge, bro. Lol!!!

(I'm kidding...but yes, that's what I'm doing, lol!!)

9. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I hear you Spinelli. I use RE4 drives in RAID 10 which provide consistent/sustained performance when working with large datasets. Nope, can't beat RAID 0 Raptors in terms of performance, but my work requires data integrity/redundancy. For giggles, on one of my other backup machines, I went cheap and tried a 2TB hybrid (Seagate) and was actually surprised by the performance. Not exactly living on the edge though.

See, this is what happens when you get old ...

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Knowing things very well about Reiza I can assure you the GSC track is as good a virtual recreation without laser scanning and photographic textures can get in the current engines available. The textures do match the reference photos very, very well. You're one of the more lucid folks here and although you do have great fondness of rF2, there's no need to keep joining the "Anti any form of feedback or criticism" brigade. Some criticism is unwarranted and unpolite but that should always be ignored.

Why throw fuel in the fire rallying the villagers that already have their pitchforks up? I fully expect VirtualR to have news on the new rF2 build by the end of the day or very early tomorrow European time. But given the horde of horrible comments that get posted there, who knows... Matt (Empty Box) wrote two very good and detailed posts making valid and - to me - dead-on arguments. I recall how VirtualR used to be flooded with rF2 stuff, even very wip mods and stuff that died which I even linked to in a Wishlist post for Group C cars.

Now, I am merging general sigh mixed in with the reply to Noel's post so this overall feedback is not singling him out. pCARS lives with a huge stigma and a bunch of crap and some members were raging and responding inadequately while a few more (and that number kept growing) tried to respond with constructive posts with correct information as available and as much as they could disclose. There are fanboys everywhere and they should be ignored. This is a rF2 forum so to have more vocal ones here is to be expected, like with AC and pC in their forums. But in one place converging different games there'll be those fanboys mixed in with people who just like to watch the world burn.

The ISI forum members that post there need to follow the example of the SMS forum members. Be polite. Be informative. Write about what you know, do your best to keep subjectivity out of the way - this can be very hard, yes, especially with people pushing the wrong buttons - and when possible or needed, make reference to official ISI posts at rF2's forum rF2's FB page. The grass issue coupled with the lighting issue magnified the existing problem, yes. But why go ballistic? Point people towards the information that the next rF2 build would fix the grass - and it did, not long after the track was out! - and also to the acknowledgement of lighting issue at the main hours of the day. It is a know thing and that's all we can say.
    We don't know when it will be addressed, and non-HDR visuals may always suck especially compared to AC and pC without HDR, but... are you a member of ISI? Well, you can't answer for that. What can you do to address it? Play with HDR enabled. It eats away additional FPS but as technology evolves eventually everyone will be able to play without having to worry about it being off. There is a member here, GTClub or something along those lines, who is a great example of how not to behave in the comments section, and what happens? Silly shouting with fanboys and instigators. Assumptions and bias lead nowhere.

I can't speak for other places as I don't scour the net for news. I check VirtualR every so often for a general round up but I check each forum individually - rF2, pC, and AC - for information I gather on my own. Maybe except for R3E which I just see from VirtualR, and occasionally I check the store page on its website. Imagine how annoying it would be to have the videogame fanboy war of Sony x Microsoft x Nintendo brought to our racing games? It already happens but it would be a nightmare and so unyielding given how niche our passion is.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

RAID 10, what a work-horse machine you got there, Carlo.

I achieve 605 MB/s sequential reads and 575 MB/s sequential writes with my 3x 1TB Velociraptors in RAID 0, my 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD can't touch that. I can't believe how insane these drives are, lol.

Plus, 5 year warranty.

I might sell one though and just keep 2 in RAID 0. I've never had a HDD fail on me before, but your chances are just that much higher with 3 drives....

Carlo, it seems like you're quite experienced with RAID. Other than the fact that I'm running more drives, RAID 0 itself doesn't increase the chance of one of the drives failing - compared to running the drives on their own (non-RAID 0), does it?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
  12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I do plenty of constructive criticizing. In fact Tim was probably ready to ban me from the forum yesterday. I try very hard to be open minded. But as I said, I live in a humid climate and the haziness looks very familiar to me. A quick search of the track turned up nothing but hazy photos. I'm just being objective, not apologetic.

13. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Most of my experience is with hardware based RAID and fiber SANS (very expensive) at the enterprise level. On one server, I had RAID 5 running continuously for 12 years with only one disk failure (on-line spare picked up the slack so no down-time).

At home, I had always used hardware based RAID until recently - on this machine, I'm using the Intel ICH10 (soft-raid) for RAID 10 and on-line spare. It has 14,000 hours of service so far without failure (RE4 enterprise drives). I have a server that I picked up yesterday for home use that has hardware RAID and Win Server 12, but haven't fired it up yet. Consumer based drives should never be used with RAID as drop-outs may occur.

With RAID, performance depends somewhat on the caching chosen (e.g. write back, write through, read only) and buffering. I can obtain 800mb sequential reads on this desktop machine by playing with the caching, but doing so requires a stable machine and faith that a UPS works as expected during power dips/surges/outages.

14. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Noel, you have no need to be apologetic. I don't think your comments were meant to be rude or start a flame war, just "objective". You have attempted to validate your response (successfully) by attaching photos rather than simply providing anecdotal evidence or comment.

15. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

For the record there has been a lot of things posted about the Sao Paulo track that are not true from both sides of the argument that is going on here. However as the person who actually made the track (5 years ago now - may I interject), it's fairly clear that people here have set views, and having mud slung around on something that I've worked very hard on is not a particularly nice thing to observe. So I would appreciate it if people just enjoyed it on whatever platform it is their preferred, and well if you think there are things that could be done better then perhaps that is worthy of a separate discussion to engage with people of either simulator on, in all together more constructive atmosphere - and you may have more chance of getting some kind of feedback from developers in general on said subjects.

(Should that be achieved I may consider moving on to working towards world peace ;) )

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thank you for your work sir, a beloved track, a beloved place.

17. matf1

matf1 Registered

Agreed, I've had nothing but great racing since release, and it prompted me to purchase GSCE, so hugs all round!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You weren't even close. Though to be open, I was very annoyed to be (what I felt was) repeating myself, my frame of mine was due to personal issues and not to do with ISI, so while you probably sensed annoyance, there was no bearing on you.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It is truly a great honor getting to race on your magnificent creation in this sim.
    Such an amazing piece of work, I really mean that. One of my favorite tracks of all time, and you got it spot on.
    I simply can't stop using it. Thank you so much. :)

20. TypicalAnalytical

TypicalAnalytical Banned

This is a very good point. If I didn't already own GSC I could definitely see myself buying it if only because I appreciate the generosity being demonstrated all-around lately by devs and modders alike.