FOV/Seat Position Opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by miguelskaff, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Addict

Addict Registered

I play in a 60" screen with a FOV of 50 , and I think it's OK, but what do you think? I can see a lot more track segment than when i used a 24" monitor with 25 FOV

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're enjoying it then keep it :) , if you're looking for a 1:1 real-life representation on your screen then use the calculator.

3. Addict

Addict Registered

yes, i use this calculator and with a 80cm distance i have a 50.1 FOV, but I have doubts that the image is realistic , the cars seem to be a bit small but i'm not sure

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm not sure which calculator you're using because I'm on my slow-ass original iPhone 3, lol! But I entered in:

TV size: 60 inches
    TV aspect ratio: 16:9
    Human-eye to screen distance: 80 cm

on this calculator --> http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/ and I also got 50.1 degrees V.FOV.

Make sure your measurements are accurate, the eye to screen distance can be finicky just from small movements and different seating positions.

I'm not sure if you're supposed to measure perfectly straight from eye to screen, or on a horizontal angle from eye to centre of screen. That could make a few cm difference.

5. Duvel

Duvel Registered

A high or low FOV can affect how you react to corners and therefore, drastically affect what inputs you make with throttle, brake, steering, etc. Nothing changes at all, fact, it is that your driving changes in response to what you now see.

You are clearly more comfortable responding to what you visually see using a high FOV (it's what you have probably used for a long time now), while with a low FOV, you aren't familiar with how to react to the now far deeper and dynamic corners (visually speaking only) - it's just experience, you need to get used to a low FOV long-term to get past your current concerns. We use visual cues in sims to work out what to do in given situations a whole lot more than we think we do, so these FOV changes are not small, and a lot of relearning is in order.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  6. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

That's the point I've been trying to make,badly.
    In rF1 I did use a lower FOV,just not the 'calculated' one because of the above 'affect'.
    Never bothered much with rF2 because default was ok.
    Re-calculated and it suggested 25.2.
    Tested that and indeed it did look great but maybe a jump to far from what I'm used to,it also didn't quite seem 'realistic'.
    Assigned FOV keys to keyboard and drove around for a while whilst adjusting FOV on the fly.
    Settled on 36 for now.
    I've also just discovered that the lower FOV (10) seems to look down into the tarmac rather than straight ahead?
    Even with realheadmotion plugin,freemove button and slight adjustment made it a lot better.

Time to go and put 36 through it's paces...............

Thanks for the help

7. Comante

Comante Registered

Following this thread, and already using a Track IR (on a single 22" 16:9 monitor) I tried to reduce my fov, I reduced from 45 to 30. Now I want to get used a bit more to it, but the real perspective would be achieved with 16 degrees on my setup, that is quite narrow, but even passing from 45 to 30 I noticed a lot of cool stuff :
    1) being forced to use TrackIR, you can now experiment different trajectories, and still be able to see the apex of a turn. This allow you to lenghten you straight braking, and enter later the turn, seeking a later apex, that being slower (you had more road to slow down before starting the turn) can be reached easier.
    2) Exiting a turn, when you are on throttle, power oversteering is easier to detect, because while looking down the straight or the next apex, you see your dashboard sliding under your eyes faster, so you can be aware of smaller movement than ever.
    3) touching a curb and going into an high speed spin while going 200 km/h, is not for faint of heart people.

What I miss with TrackIR and low FOV is a monitor with higher refresh rate than 60Hz.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The reason why the FOV is looking down into the tarmac rather than straight-out is because just about every sim from every developer uses a messed-up head-pitch angle that's facing/looking/angled too much towards the ground. It essentially means that the view perspective, or the camera, or your in-game eyes - or whatever you want to call it - is from the perspective of someone staring and looking too much towards the ground rather than more straight-out.

In your player file set the head pitch to around 0.5 to 0.8 in order to straighten it out. Then, what you look at on your monitor is the image of someone who is in a car looking much more straight-out rather than so much towards the floor, lol.

Once you straighten-out the head pitch, you may have to lower the view a bit (seat controls). I use between -20 and 0 (seat adj.). Personally, I find anything over 0 just seemingly unrealistically high especially once the head-pitch has been straightened out.

9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Exactly which line is that in player file. I don't recognize anything, other than controls for head movement.

Is it this one;
    "Look Up/Down Angle":0.4,

edit* Looked again, maybe it is the "seat pitch" line.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
  10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oops, seat pitch, yes :). Bring it up somewhere between 0.5 and 0.75. When i tried 1, it looked like the view was slightly looking high-up. 0.5 still looked slightly towards the ground, but only slightly. 0.5-0.75 should meet just about everyone's needs.

11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

will this work with realheadmotion plugin?

12. argo0

argo0 Registered

Does for me

13. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I have a "proper" FOV with my triples, based on my personal technique of establishing it, which matches very well with the FOV calculator. The final "look" resulting from the FOV setting is irrelevant of the seat position. But to agree with you oHOWEo, in the end I felt like I was sitting to close to the dash. Moving the seat back was the correction needed but the seat stops just shy of where I would have liked it.

I noted this years ago in a "bug" or "suggestion" thread but it wasn't acted on. Knowing now of ISI's understaffing it's understandable that most suggestions could never be quickly acted on. But this one seemed like it could be such a simple fix, like just changing a number range. But maybe its more difficult than that or just too trivial.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Technically speaking, it's not irrelevant from the seat position because a driver's head/eyeballs in real-life are pretty much going to be in one spot. and that's where the point where the view on screen begins and expands outwards at the given correct V.FOV, just like it's the point where your view in real-life begins. You may move the seat much further back to make up for some of the limited vertical and horizontal peripheral vision that we are limited to on monitors, but then the image is still that of a driver who is sitting way further back than in reality and therefore not technically correct.

I do the same thing sometimes, I'm not saying you can't do it, lol, it's a game and you're free to do it how you want, but if we're discussing what's technically correct, then there is just the one FOV and one seat setting (well not so much seat setting but the spot where the view spawns from, the spot where the camera is located, or where the in-game driver's eyeballs would be).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  15. tking

tking Registered

The FOV calculator may yield a "technically" correct view; but, seems to me that you would have a better result if this is altered in order to "simulate" the real driving experience. A larger or default FOV shows what you need to be aware off and where it is. As far as the calculated FOV, sit in your real car and imagine a frame the size of your monitor. Note that you won't be able to see anything outside that frame. Would you feel comfortable driving a high speed road course with this view?

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I completely agree, tking. If we have small monitors and/or sit very far away from our monitors then there are compromises we may make in order to see more on our monitor than we could when using the 1:1 real-life FOV/seat-position in order to make up for us having such small screens (or such a small window into the virtual world if one wants to think of it that way).

17. coops

coops Banned

Spinelli Thats why FOV works better for triple screens than a single screen. Bigger view area FOV works better.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Definitely, the bigger the screens, the more screens, the closer to the screen you are, all those give you a bigger viewing area and you therefore loose out on less visuals when/if using a 1:1 real-life FOV, or anywhere close to one.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yet you probably will not meet the realism because you lack the depth - especially - the smaller the monitors - the lower the height of - the worse the result with the idiotic theory of fov calculators, because even if the width of the monitors are sufficient enough to represent the real wide, it will lack height when the monitors are too small, and it is nonsense to say the output of any FOV calculator is the law, not at least when there is a lack of speed feeling because the dimensions do not match the real image and depth of it, apart from missing components above and below the spectrum of human eyes.

20. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

With the help from you guys I realised my 'wrong' thoughts about low FOV.
    The thoughts of what was happening may have been wrong but the 'sensation' I felt wasn't.
    I realise now that the turns are the same lock no matter what FOV and that pretty much everything else is the same.

BUT the 'sensation' of the accordion effect is true,the track does squish up.
    For instance say a corner takes 90° of steering wheel rotation to get round.
    A high FOV this corner is a gradual turning of the wheel to 90°
    A low FOV the corner is a much quicker turning of the wheel to get to 90°
    This is what I meant when I said turning corners into hairpins.

If you want realism then this is a major factor is it not?