NVIDIA 344.48 WHQL GPU Drivers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 22, 2014.

1. smr_hot

smr_hot Registered

2. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Yup, look the telephone wires, for example. Aliased in one and not the other.

3. smr_hot

smr_hot Registered

Same fps in this pictures.

4. TechAde

TechAde Registered

That's nice.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

By the way, if anyone wants a simple, replicable jaggies test spot, just do the following:

Set AI to 20.
    Go to Practice Mode 9:00 to 10:00 am start time ISI's Autodromo Portugal (Estoril) and sit in the garage for a moment.

Rev the engine. Do the railings right across the pit lane shimmer with the slight movement of the car?

Drive out of garage onto pit lane and observe the railings that are now on your left and the garage stall fence separations. Both of these can be a festival of jaggies and movement, or, solid as a rock (and realistic looking), if you are willing to suffer the performance loss.

It will be extremely difficult to get this scene looking good. The AI are there so you can also see how bad the FPS will get when they are in view and compare one vehicle to another. Shadow optimization (or not), reflections, etc., will all affect the frame rate dramatically from one car to the next.

It is, however, a very good and easy place to notice the sometimes glaring differences in all the settings.

Follow the instructions precisely. Even using an afternoon lighting changes the results dramatically. This is the "worst-case" scenario for testing as far as I am concerned.

The test of which settings you prefer can only be done with a test like the one above that includes some driving and movement of the car (albeit very slowly). Static screenshots CANNOT demonstrate the merits of settings with rF2. Sorry.

6. smr_hot

smr_hot Registered

Main problem is how to get decent performance w/o sacrifice a nice image.

7. Carlo

Carlo Registered

"Static screenshots CANNOT demonstrate the merits of settings with rF2."

I agree one hundred percent. I tend to judge settings IQ by what I see when the car is in motion. I look at white lines, clarity of cars in the distance, lettering on cars, chain link fences and numbers on instruments in the cockpit.

Marc, what settings in Inspector are you testing?

8. Addict

Addict Registered

are you using HDR in Rfactor 2 ? I don't like this , the colors are very saturated

9. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Yeh, some colors are overly saturated on some cars with HDR, but I think this is mainly a fault of the mods and not rF2. Lighting, reflections, terrain, etc. all look better and more natural with HDR.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

8xQ with 2xSGSS looks best on my system. I was testing various options to see if any significant performance gains could be made without losing too much on the visual side. I think the answer is no, but 16xCSAA with 8xSS may come closest.

11. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Pretty much what I've discovered. Either that, or 4xSGSS and 4xMS. With 2xSGSS and 8xQ, the image appears sharper (which I like), but does introduce minimal aliasing that is hardly noticeable when driving.

With both, I do set json ts to 0 and set the correct LOD for the SGSS mode in Inspector. Is this what you do?

Also, I don't seem to notice much FPS difference between 4xSGSS/4xMS and 2xSGSS/8xQ.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, JSON TS to 0, or use the special .dll file (see other thread). I have not set the "correct" LOD in Inspector. What should that be?

Also, what visual difference do you notice between those two?

13. Carlo

Carlo Registered

In Inspector:

Texture filtering - Driver Controlled LOD Bias = off
    Texture filtering - Negative LOD Bias = allow

Then for 2xSGSS ...

Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX) = -0.500

For 4xSGSS ...

Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX) = -1.000

This should eliminate any blurring, but you may find the image too sharp for your liking.

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thanks! I don't see any troublesome blurring now, but it will be interesting to compare.

What should these be set to for non-SGSS? Or does every individual setting (like 8xSS) have its own corresponding entries?

And if driver control of LOD Bias is "off" doesn't that mean the app is controlling it (with JSON file TS setting in our case)?

15. Carlo

Carlo Registered

2x MSAA + 2x SGSSAA: -0.500
    4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA: -1.000
    8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA: -1.500

"The formula for determining the correct LOD bias is "y = -0.5 * log, base 2, of (n)" where n is the number of samples and y is the correct LOD bias. This function simply means that every time you double the number of samples you subtract another 0.5 from the LOD bias."

Time to get out the calculator ....

As far as I know, the nVidia driver will take of LOD properly when not using SGSS modes (although you might want to play with it). In this case, however, clamp would likely be advantageous with better IQ.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Except clamp doesn't work, so you have to use the special DLL file for non-SGSS...???

17. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Yes, that is my understanding. Texture Sharpening in JSON (setting other than zero) may, or may not, have an effect similar to clamp. It's never been clarified, to me at least, whether Texture Sharpening affects the whole image or not.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I dunno

This is Standard 4xS , no SGSS clamp and stock rF2 sharpening.

please explain what is wrong with this shot ? power lines smooth ? fast fps, blurry graphics is minimal.

BIG thing is you get a perfect moving images no little shimmers or sparkles whatsoever.

Looking at static shots won't achieve anything

Sure it may not look the best but fps is solid and reliable and smooth latency is more important.

People go ramping up settings too much it just runs like a dog and their laptimes will suffer.

Try turning settings down a tad you will most likely have better control.

19. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I agree with what you've said DD. It's just that people like Marc and I are probably IQ nuts.

What we're trying to do is get the best IQ obtainable with no latency given the hardware we have. I'm one of the people that ranks GFX almost as high as physics. You are the opposite.

I know, that's sacrilegious! :)

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I am saying you will get the best latency my settings.

Period.

I have tried all methods if I can't do my personal bestlap, forget it.

I don't believe it anyways 3/4 of all these Inspector settings tests is just chasing quality not laptimes.

Want good latency dumb down the settings, all she wrote.