ISI Please buy this and add it to rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

ISI Please buy this and add it to rF2

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

At times it looks brilliant but at times it looks terribly messed-up...

- Things look too jelly-like and rubber-like
    - The cars want to keep spinning and flipping way, way too much (reminds me of San Francisco Rush 2 for Nintento 64, especially in the stunt level)
    - There doesn't seem to be enough air friction/resistance
    - There doesn't seem to be enough friction between the car and the ground
    - The entire car itself just seems like it has way, way too little mass
    - The car just wants to continue bouncing around like a basketball
    - The car just keeps wanting to deform into a ball as it bounces around rather than pieces breaking off

Obviously compared to anything else it's still amazing though, however, I feel that's the very reason why it seems so amazing - because there's nothing else to compare it to (no competition).

In it's defence, it's obviously going to continue to massively improve, not to mention it'll start putting pressure on game devs to up their damage modelling systems. My gripes about it are just about the state it's in at the current moment. I am extremely grateful that this project is being undertaken.

BeamNG implemented into rFactor 2 - while both continue to get worked on (and obviously all the BeamNG updates also coming to the rF2 version) - would be AMAZING!

I'm guessing that it would seem very complex to get the physics engines of both to work properly together though. The implementation of all the BeamNG physics into another physics engine - especially one with as much complexity and depth as the rFactor 2 physics engine - seems like it would take a lot of time and effort on the part of both devs, but then again, I don't know "squat" about programming, so let's hope I'm wrong.

[HR][/HR]
    I thought I heard that ISI was working on a new damage model (not to mention a driveline model) over a year ago. I wonder what's really going on at the ISI offices - not in terms of private builds, but even more further-away-from-release stuff, like stuff that's still in the real programming stages.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Comante

Comante Registered

It has happened before : official constructors don't like to see their virtual car wrecked, if this system was in place, I'm sure a lot of official content would be released only if their car WON'T have it activated.

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I always thought that too, from back in my forza days I think.

I was interested watching an interview with the main guy from kunos and he was saying how he thinks that is a myth created by other companies because non of their licencing contracts stipulate no damage.

He said they cover no harming of drivers, pit crew etc

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I agree with everything you said... But I want real damage effects as much as I want real tire effects. And this makes my point. :p

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I don't really agree, even if that look amazing: having FPS going way down just to manage crash seems not accurate. a driving simulator is different from a crashing simulator IMHO.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Do a youtube search and let us know what was the maximum number of cars you could find in a beamNG scene, with or without a background, doesn't matter. :p Processing power isn't there and won't be for the next two decades at least. ;)

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Yeah. That was a great interview. It was posted by ISR (so I understand why some didn't want to watch it), but it was an amazing interview. Basically disallowed to use blood, but car damage wasn't even a topic of discussion.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

A myth? hehe I remember kunos himself saying that the Abarth 500 license for netkar included the car not showing any signs of damage. I guess he forgot that one. :p

A license is just a contract I'm sure. They have evolved over the years and one devs license can be different than another depending on negotiations. Can't paint everything with the same brush.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm sure it's there if the game engines could take advantage of the processing power we currently have at our disposal.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I am in complete awe of what the BeamNG devs have accomplished so far. Nonetheless this kind of damage has no place in a complex sim like rF2. No doubt it would eat up all the computing power.

I just wish we could have some simple vertex deformation like we had in F1C.

12. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

So much other needs......

13. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

I believe BeamNG is developed by the team that made Rigs of Rods, a pretty old open source project which basically did the same thing as BeamNG does now, albeit less polished. I remember digging into the code many many years ago. The implementation is largely driven by soft body dynamics as far as I remember. I suspect BeamNG works in a similar way.

Another project that might be interesting is Next Car Game, which is another destruction focused racing/driving game.

I didn't really view this video but if you skip through it you can see what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIttSFLpaQ

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Which almost everyone does realize. On every damage related thread someone pops his head in and says that. That's not what we're discussing anyways.

We can dream and play with the thought, right..?

15. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Damage is an important part of stockcar racing. It has an enormous effect on the race in long and short term.

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Jesus F.C., just have a look at 2min00seg... rip

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

While deformation in the video adds a bit of reality, I'd prefer the dev's time to be concentrated elsewhere on the things we really need...rain, more tracks, more road cars, better low speed physics, better AI, etc...
    Nobody I know in simracing, crashes a car and sit there looking at deformation.
    The objective is NOT to crash and after one, most...if not all reset to pit in less than a second so why spend the time.
    Leave that feature to the 'Grant Theft Auto' set.
    They enjoy that kind of thing.

18. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Sorry if i offended your feelings.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You didn't. :)
    I just forgot to throw in some smilies here and there, due to my comatose state sitting in the train going home from work. ;)

No, I'm just saying that of course damage shouldn't trump any of those really important features we need to see finished.
    It would just be nice to see some proper damage at some point. It is an insanely important aspect of racing.

20. Woodee

Woodee Registered

copy - paste.

Software development is so easy... why didn't they just copy - paste!!