Billboard Trees

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by ddvpt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

Hi. I need some help. I'm having some issues with billboards. The trees won't render in cockpit/tvcockpit but render fine with the rest of the cameras! Any clues?

2. zonder

zonder Registered

do they render when you drive openwheel car with no roof in cockpit view, when there is no windshield between your eyes and trees? if they do, sounds like alpha sorting problem?

3. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

i'm testing the track in dev mode using the isi trainer.

4. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

I think I found the problem. Too many elements in one single object? Anyone knows what's the poly limit in a screen-aligned quad mesh?

5. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

I've managed to resolve the issue. For those having issues with billboard trees follow this steps on post #1. I've been playng with poly limits on gmt files with screen-aligned quads, it seems that gmts with more than 1800 quads don't render on cockpit/tvcockpit but will render in swingman cam.

6. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

That's odd. Cockpit view should make absolutely no difference in how billboards are processed and rendered.
    When Indy was WIP and unoptimized, it had a huge 50k quad crowd GMT which uses the exact same tech as the trees. Very odd ...

7. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

Thought I was done with my vegetation but still have issues. Still can't figure out why some groups of trees and other vegetation disappears on all cameras except swingman. Any idea?

8. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

- Double-check triangulation (top left - bottom right) of polys from your billboard trees, which are not shown. If triangulation is mirrored, objects will never shown towards camera
    - Double-check objects VisGroups in exporter, so those trees are not hidden in your session (practice, qual, race). They are effective in viewer too, if options are set
    - Double-check objects rendering distances (min - max) in exporter
    - Reset XForm of object and re-export

Cheers!

9. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

Hi! thanks for your help. The triangulation is ok because i used a quad tree from joesville. Visgroups and LODs are correctly configured. I'm going to try to reset xform. cheers

10. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

reset xform didn't resolve the issue. I wonder if the scatter script i'm using is somehow affecting the quads..

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

You set Alpha vertex to 99.99% ?

12. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

yes! the trees are working fine in swingman camera i can see them rotating to face the camera, but when i'm on cockpit view some of them disappear or render when i'm 10 meters away. I have LODs and VisGroups properly configured.

13. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Some kind of clipping, ok.

Could you upload a small maxfile containing the billboard trees and its textures, and PM me a link, please?

14. ddvpt

ddvpt Registered

sure! :) i'll grab a sample from the scene. thanks