Honda NSX 1991 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Thanks!

2. petibonome

petibonome Registered

Hi,
    Sorry to be low minded but I don't know how to copy the layer "alpha_NSX" from "layers" to "channels".
    Could you explain ?
    Thanks

3. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

No need to apologize...my skill is guessing! Here's what I do and hope that it's the correct thing to do:

Choose and make visible one only of the ALPHA_NSX or ALPHA_NSXR layers.
    Use the selection tool to select the whole layer of choice and copy it to the clipboard
    Go to the Channels tab and select the Alpha Channel and make it visible; turn off visibility for RGB
    With the Alpha Channel selected, press Ctrl-v to paste the ALPHA layer from the clipboard to the Alpha Channel
    Make RGB visible and turn off visibility on the Alpha Channel before returning to the Layers tab
    Make both the ALPHA_NSX & ALPHA_NSXR layers invisible
    If you've chosen the NSX-R, make sure you make the top-most layer in the Layers list (competition seat & steering wheel) visible otherwise leave it invisible.

This is an important concept to understand because some templates will have alpha channels containing the same elements that you may wish to alter in the Layers such as car numbers, sponsor decals and in this case the Honda badges. If the Alpha Channel does not match, you can get undesired ghost images from the reflectivity information in the Alpha Channel show up in your custom skin.

4. petibonome

petibonome Registered

Thanks Deadpedal for your explanation. :)

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Have we discussed why is the car almost indestructible, at least compared to other cars?

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thx for this car, looks good, drives and feels quite well, performance is good. It is a long time ago as i've droven the last one of this tanks in real, but i like this heavy weight slowmo ride already. ;)

7. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I am a little more curious still about the idea of wheel and tire mass. I can see that the mass of larger tires and lighter wheels are taken into account for unsprung mass in relation to the suspension, and perhaps, the overall weight of the car, but I was wondering if the rF2 engine makes computations for "rotational mass" of these components, something that can actually effect the ability of the car to accelerate or brake in a more substantial way than simple static mass. This dissertation is a bit of a head-banger to understand but the bottom line is that rotational mass works out to be about 3 times the static mass. In other words, add 5kg per wheel/tire mass and the car resists acceleration and braking as if the car was 60kg heavier: http://daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=401

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

Is there any telemetrie or meassurement available to see the difference of his theory ?
    The rotational mass in contact with a frictional surface driven by the central axis isn't the same as for example a flywheel free rotating or a contactless wheel/tire when it comes to accel or braking it where the diameter is the more important part while moving a body.

9. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Hi,

I love this car and want to drive it more, but that tire squeal means I always end up needing to drive something else after 5 minutes, sounds like a high wind through trees or powerlines, drives me nuts.

And is such a shame, because otherwise it's a wonderful car, handling, looks, everything.

Is there an update planned for the sound, or is there a way I can replace them in the mod with stock sounds, or with ones from another car (the vette's for instance) ?

Thanks. :)

10. addyduss

addyduss Registered

hammer666 you can reduce tire sound in sound settings menu.

11. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Sure.

Was more asking if it's easy to replace tire sounds with ones from other cars in the game?

12. Some1

Some1 Registered

Nope.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Tire squeal/rub is a bit too loud and overdone, but not by much. These are relatively crappy (by today's standards) street tires remember.

I am much more interested in proper damage being implemented and fixing the flickering rear bumper and most importantly, not having a huge frame rate hit compared to the new Clio (approx. 25-30% lower FPS with all else identical).

14. Some1

Some1 Registered

Hm, nobody has mentioned a huge frame rate hit before. The car only has one additional LOD level, and sadly I do not have time to create more LODs.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It's not huge as in there is a wacky problem like with a poorly executed or amateur mod. But there is a very significant difference with all settings maxed (that's what I run) compared to the new Clio (which I would think is about the same quality and complexity as the NSX) or many other ISI cars. I notice it because I have my overall graphics quality settings set so that FPS never dips down into the 60's so I can avoid the above/below 60 FPS/60 Hz monitor stutter. With the NSX it often crosses that line at the same tracks and with the same number of AI and all other settings identical. I then noticed to record some FPS numbers and that's where I came up with the 25-30% estimate.

Unfortunately I have no technical knowledge that allows me to guess what might make one car more optimized than another. I just look at them and decide if they appear nice! The NSX is very attractive right down to the tail lights :) Only issue of appearance is the back bumper texture flashing that we have already discussed. But various ISI cars and third-party cars vary all over the map in terms of graphics performance, so there must be something causing the differences.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2015
  16. Some1

Some1 Registered

I think the NSX has at least 1/3rd more triangles than the Clio and the Clio has just more LODs.

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

LODs are very important, especialy in larger fields, but it's also alot of work.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

OK, just so I understand correctly, the NSX is effectively a more complex design (by an additional 1/3rd) and when you have a bunch of them on the screen, they don't scale back as effectively when off in the distance (I think that's what the LODs do!?!).

If that's correct, it would certainly explain the FPS performance disparity.

19. Some1

Some1 Registered

Basically yes. In layman terms -- the NSX is probably more detailed (more triangles) and has fewer LOD levels.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I can't believe me eyes when I see posts complaining about the tyre squeal. Feeling precisely different amounts of slip angles - especially longitudinal grip during braking and as you blend the braking into the corner-entry and apex, but mid-corner and lateral grip as well - is already difficult enough to precisely feel with rF2's practically un-tunable, but more realistic-"on-paper", mostly just pure-steering-forces-only FFB style (compared to how precise, informative, and tunable all this, and more, is in non-RF2 ISI-engine based sims), now people want even less audio feedback as well?

The only thing that sticks out for me as needing done - relating to tyre sounds - is for the squealing to kick-in a little later. I get squeel too early and/or too loudly when I'm still a couple percent from any slip - or maybe the tyre is technically slipping, but it's still too early in the slip angle relative to how much tyre-squeal I hear.

That's it.

Also, you should hear just how much certain tyres constantly squeel in real-life - from the moment of initial turn-in (and even during braking if can constantly stay near the limit) all the way through mid-corner and exit until you're fully straight again. Especially skinnier and/or less high-performance tyres. Just a long, constant "squeel" through the entire corner.

I personally think the NSX is just fine with regards to tyre sounds (except for what I explained above regarding the squeel VS slip-angle [especially longitudinal] thing.

I haven't spent much time with type-R though (although stiffer and more responsive, I found the type-R to have a more "stubborn" under-steer state, while the non-R can more "fluidly" overcome understeer with a gentle and gradual amount of entry to mid-corner rear-rotation) and I'm therefore basing most of my opinions/thoughts on the non-R.