SOLVED Dedicated server: GetMod + Passworded server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gijs van Elderen, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

It's just not working as it should.

It takes multiple attempts to get the server Vmod with a passworded server.

There are a few solutions here on the forum but all attempts to make it work flawless are failing.

- tried different server ports.
    - let rF2 create a new multiplayer + player.json file
    - complete fresh install

The only solution at the moment is to set no password.
    Only then is GetMod working like it should.

The get Vmod feature is a very nice thing and it's a pity I don't get it to work as it should. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
  2. crz

crz Registered

We have the same issue at our league. Some users can't join passworded servers so I have to remove it before practice starts. Gets annoying if people are late for practice...

3. Gijs van Elderen

Some users... Maybe it's on the client side...

Did another test: clean install on the server and on a client PC.

Setup a server with a password. Same issue. GetMod doesn't work. After a lot of attempts it does.

Without a password: every time...

4. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Same here.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Broken since B660...seems that nobody from ISI is interested in this issue.

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

We distribute the vmod separately (see below for the easy way to give out a download URL) for manual install in my league. I've watched the network traffic with Wireshark... the rF2 server is simply non-responsive to the request. The client is asking for the vmod, the server is the problem.

Interestingly, if your users grab the vmod with a browser at http://[I]your.server.address:Port[/I]/Mods/modname.rfmod you'll download it first time and every time.

7. Gijs van Elderen

http://[I]your.server.address:Port[/I]/Mods/ANYFILE.XXXX

Funny!! Via that link you can share just any file! ;)

8. Gijs van Elderen

Lol, Via that link you can share any file. :cool:

9. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

I would say we care but we test this way every week. All of our test server are password protected and sharing a vmod. Can you better explain your setup? Are you trying to deliver a full mod (a mod with content baked in) ?

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

We tried to share the installed tracks and cars (ISI & Addon) through GetMod, but with password it isn`t working (Download of the missing components failed). This happend with ISI only content and with Addon content. No full mod, just vmod and download through getmod. Because of the new bug (rain textures broken) we must stick on B798. League Races with rain are on the way...

It was working in older Builds. I believe (not sure) Build 660 was the latest Build, where PW Server & GetMod was working.

By the way, this issue was reported 10-11 times in the forum?

11. Gijs van Elderen

Mod file is mostly just a car and a track. ISI or non ISI, Content baked in or not. It doesn't matter.

Just the Vmod download does't always work. It takes multi attempts to download the mod. (Message: Mod download failed)
    If the Vmod downloads, it's OK! Get missing content works as it should after that.

- We tried a clean install on the server + client.
    - Tested on on another server machines.
    - Tested the dedicated prototype. It creates it's Vmod automatically.
    - Clean install for the server + client tested on different server machines and clients machines.

With a password, If you are lucky it works at first attempt. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to download the Vmod.
    Without a password it's no problem: Vmod downloads immediately and always at first attempt

We are running multiple dedicated servers on 1 machine. Every install has his assigned ports.
    We rearranged the port numbers a couple of times to find the culprit. Spread them out. But the result is always the same.
    When we run only 1 dedicated server: Still the same result.

Funny thing is without a password it's no problem: Vmod downloads immediately and always... :)
    But that's not an option for us. :(

Some other threads about the same subject. click here and click here

12. stonec

stonec Registered

We use getmod bi-weekly in password protected league races and no specific issue, sometimes someone fails to download but only randomly. Make sure vmod name does not contain empty spaces, for some reason that doesn't work since build 660. Also I assume password does not contain special characters.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

That`s what I`m saying, it doesn`t work since Build 660!

14. stonec

stonec Registered

No what I meant was everything for us works except we cannot use spaces in .rfmod filename. Password or not, it works if we remove spaces.

15. MrBiscotte

MrBiscotte Registered

I encountered this problem to download mod or to connect to a secure server when I installed a different UI. Once uninstalled everything works again.

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Ah, ok. But for us it doesn`t. We doesn`t have any space or special character in the vmod name. Just to get it right, GetMod is working for you (downloading tracks and cars to the client) with passworded server and not the rfmod file only?

17. Gijs van Elderen

No spaces in the Vmod name. I know that! ;)
    Password doesn't contain special characters.

If i set the server with "a" as password the result is the same. It works, after multiple attempts to login. Sometimes it works at first attempt.
    But mostly it takes 5-10 attempts with the message "mod download fail" before it works.

With no password: it works every time at first attempt. ==> therefore i don't think there is something wrong with the server settings.

But setting no password on the server is not an option.

At the moment we give the Vmod as a manual download and install. I'm not receiving any complains about it.
    But I would like to make this feature work flawless so i don't have to give those manual downloads.

18. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Same here with standard server, and same with the New UI that generating automaticaly vmod.

19. Gijs van Elderen

MaD_King,

Do you mean the dedicated server prototype?

That's something i look forward to when it's finished. At the moment the "option" button doesn't work (yet).
    But everything else about it and the idea is just great. :D
    Automatic created Vmods! :cool:

But it would be even more cool if those Vmods were treated like a temporary files.
    So the client doesn't have to worry about anything.
    At the moment, if you don't clean up those Vmods manually in the mod-manager, you can't uninstall out-dated content.
    After a race those little Vmods are useless anyway.

But first Vmod download with password on our servers. ;)

20. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Yes I mean the prototype. And I wait to get the full dedicated interface function in the prototype, because today, you need a vmod to parameter the normal dedicated to be able to use the prototype over the default profile on it to get the good options. And the prototype don't manage the multi profile, so for the moment it's not usable :(, but the idea is good when integrated and the connection bug will be fixed.

For the uninstallation part of the vmod, I think it's is linked to the replays, so I suppose you need it to show replays in good condition.