Make the ghost useful

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by nudger1964, Oct 3, 2014.

1. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

Fisrt, the moan.
    I was so excited first hearing about rf2 becuase it promised us a ghost car. The reason was because a ghost can dramatically help improve your speed and get you up to a sensible pace quickly.
    Unfortunately, everything about the way the ghost works in rf2 makes it near useless for this.
    There are two ways of improving this. One is to allow some way of increasing the pace of your own recorded lap (typically I have found a pace 2 seconds faster than your own will be optimum) or allow for transfers of other peoples ghosts. Clearly this should require the donator to make the ghost available themselves...im not suggesting they should be available without permission. This would probablybe the easier way, and would be a good tool for leagues and clubs.

2. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

The easiest way to give yourself a target is to increase the lead time of the ghost. In Settings, set Transparent Trainer to "Best" and set your lead time in the next field down. I set mine at 0.25 seconds once I get up to speed. That means that when I cross the line, the ghost is a quarter second in the lead already. Obviously it can't be done via the UI, but there appears to be no reason that you couldn't share ghost car files via email or other file-sharing means. The files are small (90-150kb) and need only be placed in the proper UserData\player\Settings\[trackname] folder. The files are recognized by the simple structure [carname].ttl. It certainly would be nice to share as easily as a setup though and furthermore to allow the transparent trainer to be used in multi-player in a special practice/training session.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Tested sharing the .ttl with a few peeps, it didn't work. But it should work?

4. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

I dont agree Deadpedal - well, at least for me just increasing the lead time dosnt help. Its not about motivation, its about cornering speeds, acceleration points and traction etc. Some people are very methodical about learning circuit/car combinations....i'm not, I just do it by the seat of pants - that usually means sometimes I just have to fluke learning where I am really slow and why. Thats where ghosts really help me-
    @Denstjiro - I have heard that people have had success with sharing ghost files, but I dont think it as simple as just sending the file...I "think" you have to access the data and make a small change, but cant remember exactly how it was claimed to have been done. - there was a post on here about it, but finding it again has proved difficult. It may even have been just changing the file properties, like permssions, owner etc

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ok, will do a search for it then.

imo it would be a great learning tool, I was going for this so we could use it for our league, drivers posting their tll's and others adding it to their game, that would have helped allot I think for drivers struggling in one area or another, plus it its fun :)

6. whitmore

whitmore Registered

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

"Make the ghost useful " ....drive it off a cliff. lool

For me the best way to learn is to lap online with real people, always has been.

Real racers take differing lines, turn in points, entry and exit speeds.

Ghost can't lap inside or outside you anywhere they want to help your awareness.

Ghost can't sit in pits or at roadside and watch you a few laps and give pointers.

Ghost can't teach you donuts. lool

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014