Formula ISI gp car advice needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BulletApe, Oct 2, 2014.

1. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

Hoping for some pointers for a newbie to Rfactor2.

I've been driving the Formula ISI gp car on the Malaysian Sepang track. I added the trackmap plugin which adds a shed load of other gauges to the onscreen display. I noticed that on the WGL (Wheel grip level) indicator the car is bottoming out on all four corners for much of the lap. My gut feeling was that the ride height might need raised but I don't know a lot about the mechanics of setup. Going down the start straight all four corners bottom out by around half way down the straight.

I tried raising the ride height just to try something but even at Max it's still bottoming. Maybe it should be but I'm not sure. Also tried messing with downforce and suspension but I'm not even sure what some of the suspension settings do. I've been getting around 1.45's at best around Sepang so far. Theres room for improvement in my driving but not sure how much. I still need to hone in braking points to a degree on half the corners.

Any advice appreciated.

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

The change in ride height etc due to Aero is controlled by the 'third springs'.

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

The advice given by kaptainkremmen is sound.

On this forum you won't find many help with setups.

I suggest you visit RaceDepartment, they share some setups and you can find also a setup guide.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/rfactor-2.68/

Good luck.

P.S:
    If you are new to setups, the FISI is not the easiest car to begin with (special rear suspension).

May be you could train your skills with the Nissan GT1 or the C6R GT2.

There is a F1 mod with good base setups (F1RFT 1.19 by Sompir ans physics by Frenky), search in the Vehicle discussion.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  4. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate its not an easy car to drive. I half expected not to be able to keep it on the track but I'm doing ok and enjoying driving it.

I'll take the additional advice of trying the F1 mod and the GT cars. I've only tried the ISI gp and a nissan so far. Many still to look at.

I'll also have a play with those springs though as I'd like to see my time improve on Sepang.

5. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

I checked out a setup guide. Thanks Lgel. Very interesting read. Can't say I get it all instantly but I was familiar with some of it. I won't be building any lightning setups anytime soon but maybe it'll help me dial out problems in some cases.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

If you run the default setup then no way it's bottoming, I doubt the wheel grip indicator has anything to do with ride height. We run this car in our league and actually the ride heights are set too high, for optimal laptime you need to lower rear by at least 10 cm. I suggest using some proper telemetry tools if you want to read the ride height available more in detail.

The pole time in our league was 1:33 something, using medium tire compound.

7. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

Thanks stonec. I am running the default setup but I have altered the gearing for the longest straight. The Wheel grip level documentation was as follows..

View attachment 14452

What you say does ring true to me as although the indicators are showing max, it doesn't feel like I'm losing grip. Also, my lap time was about a 1.45 and I know there's multiple seconds to make up on many corners just through practice. It's a pity if Trackmaps tools are unreliable. Theres been no mention of that on the Trackmap thread by anyone. What telemetry tools can I use that can be relied on?

8. crz

crz Registered

9. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

Man that seems complicated. Looks like I'd need an age just to read through the thread plus the installation didn't work for me. Need something a bit simpler to read from. I'm not at the stage where full telemetry is what I need.

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I use it to see my inputs, throttle brake, use the speed trace. I find it quite help full to improve my driving without having to learn a whole bunch about it. It's kind of like my phone, I only use about 5% of what it actually does. :p

11. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

Ive got a dash running on tablet now that does telemetry as well. Confirms what stonec said in that it's not bottoming out. It does get low but the levels on the WGL gauge don't seem to represent the car right.

12. Comante

Comante Registered

BulletApe, the bar are red probably when you hit the packers, or when the avaiable suspension travel ends.

13. BulletApe

BulletApe Registered

very possible. Its not what the doc said but maybe he just needs to be more specific. I've swerved using the trackmap plugin now as my steering went strange and I couldnt get less than 900. All re-installed with just my dash plugin and pedaloverlay plugin for feedback clipping. Could do with an alternative to trackmap tho.